Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - California

Old 08-27-2009, 12:34 AM   #1
2010SSRSM6

Drives: My wife crazy with my C5 usage.
Free Pizza and made a kids night!

Since I've been slacking in my Camaro 5 activies and daily reading I didn't know about the Papa Johns free food deal for today until a co-worker called and said that they were giving a "free slice" to anyone with a new Camaro. My wife hops on the computer and reads the story about the "found" '71 1/2 Camaro Z/28and the free Large Pizza. (What a story!)

Not wanting to cook after a long day's work we cruise over to PJ's and go in for the free food. As we're walking up to the door a kid aproaches us and says he's selling pen's that were decorated to look like flowers to help his mom who lost her job. I didn't have any cash on me so I politely say "no thank you" and make my way in for the free food.

After we ordered the pizza we walk next door to kill some time in Game Stop. As we walk by the kid starts talking about how awesome the Camaro is and how much he really likes it. I say thanks and make my way into GS.

I was kind of annoyed that a parent would get their 8-9 year old kid to pander pen's and make them feel like they have to support their family but that is a topic for another time. After watching the kid try to sell the pen's, the wife and I talk it over and I go out to see if he would like to get a closer look at the Camaro. This kid made my day!

I was so caught up in the kid having to push his hand made flower pen's that I forgot what it was like to be a kid. His eyes got about the size of his fist and he jumped at the chance to get a closer look at the car. After seeing his initial reaction I had to let him sit in her.

I thought the kid was going to cry! He hops in the drivers seat and says that its the most amazing thing he's ever seen over and over and said he woulld live in it if it had a bathroom, of course I had to agree with him. After about 5 minutes of questions and running his hands over every inch of the steering wheel and e-brake lever he climbs out and could bearly contain himself. He tried to give me one of his pen's for letting him sit in the car.

After I told him no, I didn't want him to get in trouble for giving the pen away, my wife found a couple dollars in the bottom of her purse to buy the pen. It was the pure excitement and joy in the kids face that made my night.

After seeing this kids reaction, it got me thinking. How would you guy's/gal's feel about getting together for a cruise to one of the childrens hospitals or center for abused/abandoned kids and giving them a first hand look at something we are fortunate enough to drive on a daily basis?
Old 08-27-2009, 12:57 AM   #2
tribone
Searchin' ....

Drives: Powered by Bowtie
I'm in!!!!

-Guillermo
My Pictures
tribone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 01:13 AM   #3
67camaro99
Account Suspended

Drives: 67, 69, 99 +2010
That would be great! A few month back when I had proposed a club, one of the objectives was having a mission. With holiday season upon us sooner than we know it, it would be great on a number of levels.
Far as his hawking pens, I'm sure it's not easy for his mom to have him do that. It is a sign of the times. The positives are that he is not "working for food" via a sign, rather is actually working for "food". There is a lesson in that.
67camaro99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 01:15 AM   #4
SeanPlunk

Drives: 2004 Ford Mustang Cobra
I think a charity event would be really cool. If you want other cars involved (Mustangs, Vette's, etc) I would be thrilled to help.
SeanPlunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 01:16 AM   #5
Paperer
Ragin' Cajun

Drives: '02 Camaro SS - '10 CGM 2SS/RS
That's an awesome idea. Kind of what the bikers do.
Old 08-27-2009, 01:24 AM   #6
67camaro99
Account Suspended

The Three Amigos!

Camaro, Challenger, Mustang cruise would be Awesome!
Old 08-27-2009, 01:59 AM   #7
gabraddock

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro Rally Yellow
True, but amigos? come on really? lol count me in.
gabraddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 02:14 AM   #8
2010SSRSM6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67camaro99 View Post
Far as his hawking pens, I'm sure it's not easy for his mom to have him do that. It is a sign of the times. The positives are that he is not "working for food" via a sign, rather is actually working for "food". There is a lesson in that.
I just don't think its a good idea to drop your 8 year old kid off in front of a shopping center at 8 p.m. on a school night with no parental supervision. I realize that I don't live in the worst of locations, but we just had 2 16 year old girls turn up "missing" on Friday night. There are sick people even in the nicer locations.

I've seen a family park their new GMC Denali in a parking garage and walk to an intersection in San Diego in ratted out clothes holding "those" signs and raked in the cash. I'm not saying that is what he was going through, but I don't think some people let their kids be kids long enough. They grow up fast enough as it is. (off the soapbox)
Old 08-27-2009, 02:15 AM   #9
2010SSRSM6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanPlunk View Post
I think a charity event would be really cool. If you want other cars involved (Mustangs, Vette's, etc) I would be thrilled to help.
I'm all for having anyone with a nice car putting a smile on a kids face! God knows there are enough out there that could use one, even if it is only for a short time.
Old 08-27-2009, 08:20 AM   #10
67camaro99
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010SSRSM6 View Post
I just don't think its a good idea to drop your 8 year old kid off in front of a shopping center at 8 p.m. on a school night with no parental supervision.
(AGREED)

I've seen a family park their new GMC Denali in a parking garage and walk to an intersection in San Diego in ratted out clothes holding "those" signs and raked in the cash.
Thats my point, he was actually Selling his pens... he coulda been Begging for money...
Old 08-27-2009, 08:23 AM   #11
67camaro99
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabraddock View Post
True, but amigos? come on really? lol count me in.
**Term Amigos was used losely

But, keep in mind Challengers and Mustangs show up at Camaro5 meets all the time, so are we hosting Rivals?

We even let a challenger lead (which I personally did not like, the fact he was the lead car, I do like the SRT8) us into the John Force get together...
Old 08-27-2009, 10:48 AM   #12
SeanPlunk

Drives: 2004 Ford Mustang Cobra
It's be cool if we could each buddy up with a kid and drive up PCH or something with them. The only problem I see would be with the issue of insurance. At the end of the cruise we could finish up at a hospital or something and do a bbq/car show. It'd be cool if it was like a mixed muscle car cruise. I think I could get Mustangs, Vettes, Challengers, and probably some Grand Nationals to go. I'm just throwing out ideas at this point - feel free to ignore me
SeanPlunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 10:50 AM   #13
brandotron
I am the internets.

Drives: dangerously
good story man. I'd be in if we could put something together. Maybe start at choc hospital and end up at some place on PCH?
Old 08-27-2009, 10:56 AM   #14
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

Drives: 2010 2SS RJT/BLK 6Spd Man
I agree with alot of these post, and wished I was closer so I could attend. Alot of people seemed to be concerned about getting taken advantage of by unethical people. While I agree it is wise to watch you money, remember that not all people are scammers and as long as you are doing the right thing in your heart that is all that matters.
Dr Jkel is offline   Reply With Quote