Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics > ZL1 Wheels/Tires

Old 10-04-2012, 06:56 PM   #43
2012ZL1
CaRaHoLiC

Drives: '12 ZL1,67 Cam,68 Biscayne 427 4 sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01pewterz28 View Post
I use soap and water only on mine others have posted that is all they use as well.

No. I didn't mean to imply YOU did it. Could have been dealership wash guys...When I worked at a dealership they had big pails of acid they put in spray bottles for cleaning wheels that they often mixed too strong, got on painted surfaces or didn't rinse off properly...
2.55 upper, 10" lower pullies, Innovators west billet hub and sfi balancer, solid blower drive isolator, 50 mm idler kit, full length S/S headers no cats, comp cams custom grind cam, comp roller rocker trunion kit, comp push rods,dual valve springs retainers and locks, Injector dynamics ID850 inectors, Rotofab ZL1 cold air kit, Lingenfelter 160 thermostat, Rotofab intercooler reservoir, stock plugs, LS7 90mm throttle body, GTO clutch reservoir mod, my own custom catch can, Tuning by Jannetty, install by me.
2012ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:15 PM   #44
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Off hand from my perspective based on the OP's pictures... to me it looks like a paint issue. The depth of the lug holes were not coated properly during the painting process. It's a rather straight forward issue, and appears rather obvious. BTW I have 10 spokes and I didn't inspect mine that close of yet.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:23 PM   #45
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
I wonder how the wheel would look if someone were to make some matching silver plastic snap-in caps to cover the lug nut recesses. The plastic could either be silver to hide the lug nuts, or clear to make them visible, but either way, it would cover the recess so you wouldn't have to worry about the accumulation of brake dust in those hard-to-reach places.

Just a thought.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:26 AM   #46
KidB

Drives: 2013 ZL1 victory red
Im new to forum ive been watchin this post.Just got my new Zl1 last weekend. It has the black wheels,upon getting home noticed all 4 wheels are extremely light on paint around lug nuts. My dealer told me chevy will not do anything about it that its normal.
KidB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:03 PM   #47
RobZL1580

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidB View Post
Im new to forum ive been watchin this post.Just got my new Zl1 last weekend. It has the black wheels,upon getting home noticed all 4 wheels are extremely light on paint around lug nuts. My dealer told me chevy will not do anything about it that its normal.
Brandon, what do you think of that?
RobZL1580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 03:09 PM   #48
alyssasdad
Go VOLS!!!!!

Drives: ZL1 #1344 VR, M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobZL1580 View Post
Brandon, what do you think of that?
Brandon? Are you there? Must have the weekends off!!
alyssasdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 03:33 PM   #49
BlackinBlack

Drives: 2016 Corvette Z06 Blade Silver
Washed my car today. I must have been lucky as mine do not have this issue. I specifically checked after reading this thread. I did have some sticky goop on one rim that must have been from them installing the tire valve. It was a PITA to remove.

Hope your dealers take care of this for you. I would want the rims replaced if mine looked like that.

BTW These rims are a pain to clean compared to 2010-2012 SS/RS rims. Any recommendation on a very gentle cleaner. Soap and water with a microfiber rag is lots of work. Hoping for a easier solution that is 100% safe.

2013 ZL1 BLACK on BLACK <SOLD>
Roto-Fab CAI

2010 2SS/RS BLACK on BLACK <SOLD>
3" MBRP 304 Stainless Exhaust
Roto-Fab CAI
BlackinBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:13 PM   #50
RobZL1580

Thursday last week Chevrolet asked me to take my car to the dealership and they were advised by Chevrolet to try an aluminum cleaner which did not work.

Friday, I was advised by Brandon from Chevrolet that someone higher up would be calling me with 48 hrs.

Today I received a phone call from Alex at Chevrolet and she advised they were aware of my problem and that this is a new issue without a solution yet. She said she would call me back no later than this Friday afternoon.

So stay tuned!
Old 10-12-2012, 12:07 PM   #51
alyssasdad
Go VOLS!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidB View Post
You need to find a new dealer/service department. I have been talking with my service manager for a while about this wheel problem and have been waiting for an answer from him before I posted again. On Tuesday I took my Z to him for a different issue and he was headed out to a managers meeting in the next town over.He said his GM rep would be at the meeting and he would ask him about my wheels(3 of mine have this problem).Later that day when I picked my car up he was back from the meeting. He said his GM rep was going to research the problem further and talk to some "higher ups" about the wheel and he would call me as soon as his rep let him know what to do. Well,my service manager called me today to make sure he knew which wheels were defective because he was about to order me 3 new ones!!!!. So.... back to my original sentence. You need to find a new dealer/service dep.. Thanks
Old 10-12-2012, 01:25 PM   #52
RobZL1580

Ok I have some good news and some bad news. My dealer and also Alex from Chevrolet called me today. They both said the exact same thing:

Good news - Chevrolet is replacing all 4 wheels under warranty

Bad news - they both said that this is a one-time exception and that the engineers basically said I have to do a better job cleaning these wheels using a lug nut brush, etc.

I told both my dealer and Alex, that I will accept the four new wheels and hope that I do not have any other issues, however I will not accept that this is a one-time exception.

I told Alex from Chevrolet, who by the way was very nice and understanding, that the people who buy ZL1's are not your typical car buyer. We take great pride in how our vehicles look and run. We all wash, wax, and detail our vehicles frequently and many of us don't even drive them in the rain. I asked Alex to to relay to her engineers that this is insulting and unacceptable to tell me I will need to do a better job cleaning my wheels in the future and that I am on my own if this issue comes back.

My wheels are on order and should be in next week. I will keep you posted.
Old 10-12-2012, 02:01 PM   #53
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Quote:
Ok I have some good news and some bad news. My dealer and also Alex from Chevrolet called me today. They both said the exact same thing:

Bad news - they both said that this is a one-time exception and that the engineers basically said I have to do a better job cleaning these wheels using a lug nut brush, etc.

I told both my dealer and Alex, that I will accept the four new wheels and hope that I do not have any other issues, however I will not accept that this is a one-time exception.

I told Alex from Chevrolet, who by the way was very nice and understanding, that the people who buy ZL1's are not your typical car buyer. We take great pride in how our vehicles look and run. We all wash, wax, and detail our vehicles frequently and many of us don't even drive them in the rain. I asked Alex to to relay to her engineers that this is insulting and unacceptable to tell me I will need to do a better job cleaning my wheels in the future and that I am on my own if this issue comes back.

Tell them -- Bullshit.

Your warranty is good for 3 years/36K. If the paint on the wheels is screwed up again within warranty.... new wheels again.

Can't change the warranty terms after purchase. One time exception... give me a break.

Alex, get a ****ing clue.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 03:29 PM   #54
alyssasdad
Go VOLS!!!!!

Quote:

Rob,I think you responded to that load of crap perfectly. My service manager didnt say anything like that to me(thank God).Like I said in my last post,my wheels are also on order. I dont care what they or anybody else says, this is not a cleaning issue,it is a paint and/or clear coat issue. Until I got my OCD under control I was cleaning my wheels every time I drove my Z!! Even if I went less that 20 miles!! I think that all of us know how to clean our wheels(unless all of us that have the problem decided to use sandpaper to clean our wheels)!! Glad to hear you are getting yours replaced as well. Lets hope the rest of us that have this problem get theirs replaced without to much hassle as well!!
Old 10-12-2012, 05:50 PM   #55
Mrose

Drives: 2012 ZL1 Victory Red !!!!!!!
I am getting the same around my lugs as well! I will take in and see whats up !
ZL1 Current Status:6000 #1251
1000 Initial Order 11/28/2011 -
1100 Order accepted at dealer: 11/28/2011 - QBDTB8
2000 Order accepted by GM: 04/23/2012
2500 Order preferenced. Pulled to the production system 4/24/2012
3000 Accepted By Production Control: 04/25/2012 - TPW 05/07/2011
3100 Sequenced: 05/03/2012
3300 Scheduled For Production:5/4/2012
3400 Broadcast: 5/5/2012
3800 Produced: 5/11/2012
4B00 Available To Ship car is bayed: 5/13/2012
4200 Shipped: 5/30/2012
5000 Delivered To The Dealer: 6/5/2012
6000 Delivered To Customer: 6/6/2012
Mrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:30 PM   #56
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Quote:

I would assume that it all depends on what the actual problem is traced to.
In other words, If GM can take your wheels, analyze them back at the lab and positivly determine that is IS indeed an issue with paint quality, then there would be no question they would replace the wheels under warranty.

If on the other hand the lab can positivly determine that the discoloration is due to something other such as (I'm not iferring you did this) using the wrong type of wheel cleaner causing the issue due to a reaction with the coating on the wheel, then the issue is NOT caused by a defect in the wheel or the manyfacturing process, and thus would NOT qualify for a warranty replacement.

It sounds as if GM is not convinced that the discoloration (at least in your case) is due to a product defect, but has agreed that in the interest of customer good will, they will replace the wheels THIS TIME.

I do agree that at this point, IF you just used soap and water and did not use any of the popular wheel cleaning sprays on the market, that it might be a paint issue, but we can't prove it.

Just saying.......
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote