Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 06-06-2009, 03:35 AM   #1
vetteman

Drives: vette
My review of the SS (vs Vette, Challenger, Mustang)

I recently rented a SS at Budget Beverly Hills. I have a SS on order and wanted to make sure it was worth keeping my order.

Let me say this first my daily driver is a new ZR1 so keep this in mind what m used to:

The car looks great as we all know. It attracted attention wherever I went from young to old - everyone loves the look of this car. In the land of Bentleys, Astons and Maseratis - this car attracts more attention than any of those combined in LA - this is saying a lot about its design

Overall I liked the car a lot and am looking foreword to mine (Black SS with Cyber stripes) coming in a week or two. While I list a few dislikes its all nit picky but seems to be consensus for most reviews and forum members so why does GM not get these things right in development?

Looks - Budget also had orange which was far cooler in person than any pics. Very retro. Any color looks great in this car really

Wheels - big and thick - great looking

Drive- the car is very smooth and a great daily driver for anyone. much more planted than the Dodge Challenger I also recently rented.

Steering Wheel - nice size and thick (could be even thicker)

Back Seats - plenty of room for my kids and their booster seats - dont underestimate the importance of this for anyone with kids

Controls- everything is easy to use and intuitive

Express up AND down windows for both windows - HUGE in my book

Dislikes: No major overall - I would classify these as things that could be improved:

Interior Door handle - is not deep enough - should be able to wrap you hand around a handle top open close it

Door opener/closer - located too far down for such a big door.

Not offering Nav is just odd and unacceptable in 2010 (Very GM). I read this is coming soon

I read heads up is coming later in model year and this will be great

Seats - I recently read a review that said they thought the seats were intended for the over 200 pound wide crowd. I agree 100%. They are just not supportive enough (lower back) and too wide. I am not a fan of these kind of seats where the front and back of seat operate independently - hard to explain but just not very flexible in getting the "right" position.

Also, not having a button to press that puts seat foreword all the way to access rear makes getting in the rear a pain in the XXX - Even a manual would be nice. This is big oversight and im not the only one to mention it

Rear view mirror - I have seen this addressed also on this forum - its too tall (on star button part) and blocks the little visibility. Took a few days to get used to it which I did.

Atomatic shifter -(weakest part of the design) looks like it was taken from the parts bin from a Hummer - just does not go with rest of car and the cheap plastic surround could be much nicer. Im hoping for an aftermarket kit which im sure there will be. A chrome option for the interior would be great and cool. im sure its coming at some point

Driving:

Nice. smooth as can be - Sure I would like it if it handled better but its very good.

Would also be nice for a louder engine or exhaust similar to vette that opens up as you go faster - the SS is just dying for this and im sure it will come later. its just too quiet for 400HP+ engine.

Stereo:

Fine - what you expect in a camaro

Overall:

anyone that owned a camaro (like me) or wants one for the first time wont be disappointed it looks great, drives great and is fun. You feel young and remember the good ol days when driving this car.

Side notes:

I recently rented a Challenger RT - cant beat the looks but the interior is just crap and the car floats like a 1970s car.

Recently test drove 2010 Mustang GT. I like this car - I like the looks and the interior is better than the Camaro - more upscale and no comparison with features.Nav/etc. But the Camaro is fresh and meaner looking. Both great cars.

I have owned many Vettes, Z51, convertibles and now ZR1. You cant compare a Camaro SS to a Vette. The vette is a vette. handles better, drives better, sportier, faster, better sounding exhaust, you name it and the vette is better. but you get what you pay for and at the price of the SS its a bargain. (as is the vette at its price)
vetteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 03:48 AM   #2
Gentry78
HOOK'EM

Drives: 97 c1500/92 olds
nice write up

i'm sure you will have your dislikes taken care of very shortly the aftermarket is jumping all over this car
Gentry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 04:13 AM   #3
GMtothecore
"That Guy"

Drives: Camaro SS...........what else?
Location: OOOOOOOklahoma where the wind comes sweepin' down the plains.
very nice...thanks for the review.
Old 06-06-2009, 04:16 AM   #4
ljustin293

Drives: 2010 VR CAMARO 2SS/RS
good review
ljustin293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 12:25 PM   #5
vetteman

Drives: vette
Thanks
vetteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 12:29 PM   #6
UCF w00t
Geek

Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS
Glad to hear it. If you say it handles good but could be better (coming from a ZR1), I'm sure I'll be blown away (coming from a truck).

About the rear view mirror... there's a thread on here where someone thought the same thing but was able to flip it upside down to gain a good bit of visibility.
UCF w00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 12:39 PM   #7
Indpowr
Account Suspended

Drives: Corvette C6
Great review...Thanks

Sounds like DSVcustoms is a perfect fit to help upgrade the interior..
Indpowr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 12:42 PM   #8
hb-rocks

Drives: Chevy
Thanks for the write up.
How much did the daily rental fee cost?
hb-rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 01:29 PM   #9
sabrescamaro

Drives: TB SS and temporarily 2LTRS VR
Nice review, pretty much reflects my thoughts, except for the mustsang part. I think the look and the interior of the camaro are better. There aren't as many options, yet, but it still looks more original and better, I think.
sabrescamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 01:44 PM   #10
BigMatt
2010 Camaro 2 SS/RS M6

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to BigMatt
Dosen't the camaro have nav through onstar?
BigMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 02:16 PM   #11
greg_74

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS
Wow you DD a ZR1? But nice review though.

2002 Chevrolet Camaro SS #7590
345 HP Package, LPP Headers and ORY, GMMG, SLP CAI and Smooth Bellows, PHB, Chrome TTM's
greg_74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 02:42 PM   #12
Sleestack

Drives: '07 SRT8 SuperBee, '09 GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vetteman View Post
I recently rented a SS at Budget Beverly Hills. I have a SS on order and wanted to make sure it was worth keeping my order.

Let me say this first my daily driver is a new ZR1 so keep this in mind what m used to:

The car looks great as we all know. It attracted attention wherever I went from young to old - everyone loves the look of this car. In the land of Bentleys, Astons and Maseratis - this car attracts more attention than any of those combined in LA - this is saying a lot about its design

Overall I liked the car a lot and am looking foreword to mine (Black SS with Cyber stripes) coming in a week or two. While I list a few dislikes its all nit picky but seems to be consensus for most reviews and forum members so why does GM not get these things right in development?

Looks - Budget also had orange which was far cooler in person than any pics. Very retro. Any color looks great in this car really

Wheels - big and thick - great looking

Drive- the car is very smooth and a great daily driver for anyone. much more planted than the Dodge Challenger I also recently rented.

Steering Wheel - nice size and thick (could be even thicker)

Back Seats - plenty of room for my kids and their booster seats - dont underestimate the importance of this for anyone with kids

Controls- everything is easy to use and intuitive

Express up AND down windows for both windows - HUGE in my book

Dislikes: No major overall - I would classify these as things that could be improved:

Interior Door handle - is not deep enough - should be able to wrap you hand around a handle top open close it

Door opener/closer - located too far down for such a big door.

Not offering Nav is just odd and unacceptable in 2010 (Very GM). I read this is coming soon

I read heads up is coming later in model year and this will be great

Seats - I recently read a review that said they thought the seats were intended for the over 200 pound wide crowd. I agree 100%. They are just not supportive enough (lower back) and too wide. I am not a fan of these kind of seats where the front and back of seat operate independently - hard to explain but just not very flexible in getting the "right" position.

Also, not having a button to press that puts seat foreword all the way to access rear makes getting in the rear a pain in the XXX - Even a manual would be nice. This is big oversight and im not the only one to mention it

Rear view mirror - I have seen this addressed also on this forum - its too tall (on star button part) and blocks the little visibility. Took a few days to get used to it which I did.

Atomatic shifter -(weakest part of the design) looks like it was taken from the parts bin from a Hummer - just does not go with rest of car and the cheap plastic surround could be much nicer. Im hoping for an aftermarket kit which im sure there will be. A chrome option for the interior would be great and cool. im sure its coming at some point

Driving:

Nice. smooth as can be - Sure I would like it if it handled better but its very good.

Would also be nice for a louder engine or exhaust similar to vette that opens up as you go faster - the SS is just dying for this and im sure it will come later. its just too quiet for 400HP+ engine.

Stereo:

Fine - what you expect in a camaro

Overall:

anyone that owned a camaro (like me) or wants one for the first time wont be disappointed it looks great, drives great and is fun. You feel young and remember the good ol days when driving this car.

Side notes:

I recently rented a Challenger RT - cant beat the looks but the interior is just crap and the car floats like a 1970s car.

Recently test drove 2010 Mustang GT. I like this car - I like the looks and the interior is better than the Camaro - more upscale and no comparison with features.Nav/etc. But the Camaro is fresh and meaner looking. Both great cars.

I have owned many Vettes, Z51, convertibles and now ZR1. You cant compare a Camaro SS to a Vette. The vette is a vette. handles better, drives better, sportier, faster, better sounding exhaust, you name it and the vette is better. but you get what you pay for and at the price of the SS its a bargain. (as is the vette at its price)

Good review. Too bad you did not get to drive a SRT8 Challenger. The R/T is really tuned for tooling around town... high 70's on the skidpad is minivan territory. The SRT8 is a different animal.
Sleestack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 02:48 PM   #13
Gentry78
HOOK'EM

Drives: 97 c1500/92 olds
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMatt View Post
Dosen't the camaro have nav through onstar?
yes
Gentry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 02:53 PM   #14
GatorBlue371

Drives: vrooooom vrooooom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleestack View Post
Good review. Too bad you did not get to drive a SRT8 Challenger. The R/T is really tuned for tooling around town... high 70's on the skidpad is minivan territory. The SRT8 is a different animal.

Dodge made a big DOH! when they lined the R/T up against the SS.

R/T is a big fun car, but its not in the SRT's league, which in turn is just barely in the SS's.

I REALLY want someone to do a Challenger SRT vs. SS comparison
"With a light touch on the brakes, run the revs up a bit. Slip off the brake and bury the throttle. There's a light chirp as tires scratch for bite. Then comes a sub-5.0-second sled ride to 60 mph. A tick over 13.0 sec. and you're through the quarter-mile. It's a rush, of course, but not overly dramatic. Try the same thing with this pair's predecessors of 1970 or so and you'll find yourself in a bit of a wrestling match. Ain't progress wonderful? Maybe yes, and maybe sometimes it's fun to wrestle."
GatorBlue371 is offline   Reply With Quote