Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 10-06-2009, 09:27 AM   #1
blazzin1

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS R6P
Orbital Polisher Recommended or Not???

Hey Guys/Gals,
I've had my SIM Camaro for a few months now, and have done a couple half-@$$ wax jobs on it (by hand) so far. But I'm contemplating using my Craftsman 9" orbital buffer/polisher for future polish/wax jobs. Are there any hard reasons that this is a bad idea on my semi-new car finish?

Moose, you know all about these things!!!! Any advice???

The bottom line is I don't have all freakin' day to spend outside hand-waxing and detailing my car for hours and hours. My time is very limited, and the orbital buffer/polisher just seems to do the job much quicker, more effectively, and with much less strain on my hands and arms!!! My only concern is I have the vinyl CGM rally stripes from the factory, and I don't want to "jack-up" my stripes with the buffer. I know the basics of keeping it moving around to avoid burning through the paint (or stripes) in any one spot (actually, I think that probably more applies to the high-speed polishers). But either way, I would like to use my buffer if possible, as long as it doesn't harm my paint or stripes.
I was planning on using the Mothers "Power Polish" and "Power Wax", which are both supposedly specifically designed for use with orbital buffers. But is the polish really necessary, unless I am trying to get scratches or flaws out of the finish??? I'm kinda worried the polish, combined with a buffer, might be too harsh on my stripes. Any recommendations for, or against, this Mother's "Power" stuff??? Please don't say the Zaino's stuff!!!! I'm sure it's good stuff, but just way too expensive for me, and too labor intensive. I'd like to stick with the OTC stuff, if possible. For my previous wax jobs, I've been using the Meguire's NXT 2.0 stuff, with positive results. But thought maybe the Mother's "Power" wax would be more suitable for use with my buffer. Any thoughts???

Thanks.
blazzin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 09:38 AM   #2
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
Hopefully I can be of some help.

I have a "random-orbital" buffer which I use. I recently used it on my sister's black Mustang, using Meguire's products, and the results were impressive.

Regarding your stripes, personally, I'd polish several inches from them, by hand, using the buffer for the remainder. I'd avoid getting the buffer near them at all costs.

Make sure you use the proper polishing pads, as well as good quality towels for the polish removal, and you'll be just fine.

I HOPE that helped??? If not, please let me know.

Ed
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote