Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Garage / Tools Discussions

Old 05-16-2016, 01:48 PM   #1
sspade

Drives: 2015 Camaro LFX A6
Epoxy Floor Covering

Thinking about getting my garage floor epoxied. Anyone have experience with this? Im located about 25 miles south of Detroit.

How much should I expect this to cost for a standard two car garage?

Are there any other options I should consider?

Im trying to avoid just slopping a bunch of paint on the floor which is what it looks like the previous homeowner did. This has now worn off partially and looks like shit.

Just looking to clean up the look with something durable.
Cold Air Inductions CAI : Apex Air Scoop / WW Relocate Kit : JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer : Overkill 80mm Throttle Body : Overkill Tuned : MagnaFlow Cat-Back Exhaust : Elite Engineering Catch Can : ZL1 Strut Tower Brace : Custom Tunnel Brace : JPSS Caster Locks : JPSS 32mm Rear Sway Bar : JPSS Billet Radius Arm Bushings : Pegasus Solid Sub Frame Bushings : 1LE Brembo Conversion : B&M 70273 Trans Cooler
sspade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 02:15 AM   #2
vegas girl

Drives: 2013 2LT/RS BRM convertible
Love my stained concrete floor. Does have to be clear top coated every couple years....extent of upkeep.

Name:  unknown.jpg
Views: 905
Size:  129.9 KB

2013 2LT/RS BRM Convertible
vegas girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 10:48 AM   #3
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
I was in the Coatings Biz for 15 years and sold epoxies. I epoxied my Garage floor and wish I hadn't! And I maintain it. It looked great for about 2 Years and then downhill. It doesn't clean up worth a damn.

If I had a Clean Slate, I would do an Acid Stain and then put a Zylene based Clear over it.
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 11:14 AM   #4
Lil' Nasty
[COTW 4/13/15]

Drives: Supercharged LLT
Not an expert but...Im perfectly happy with the rustoleum epoxy coating in both of my garages.
Old 05-17-2016, 11:55 PM   #5
vegas girl

Drives: 2013 2LT/RS BRM convertible
Actually I had my ENTIRE house done in stained concrete...best decision...and great price....boyfriend's brother is a painter....I say I got the "I'm sleeping with your brother discount."

2013 2LT/RS BRM Convertible
vegas girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 07:37 PM   #6
sspade

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegas girl View Post
Love my stained concrete floor. Does have to be clear top coated every couple years....extent of upkeep.

Attachment 795876
Stained concrete looks great. Randomly just saw a commercial for Rust oleum ROCKSOLID for the first time. Obviously the commercial shows it looking excellent but wonder how hard it is to apply... or should I say how easy it is to screw up... Might give it a shot.

Interesting to hear the opinion on Epoxy buy someone who dealt with it professionally for a long time. Always thought that was the best way to go but evidently not.
Cold Air Inductions CAI : Apex Air Scoop / WW Relocate Kit : JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer : Overkill 80mm Throttle Body : Overkill Tuned : MagnaFlow Cat-Back Exhaust : Elite Engineering Catch Can : ZL1 Strut Tower Brace : Custom Tunnel Brace : JPSS Caster Locks : JPSS 32mm Rear Sway Bar : JPSS Billet Radius Arm Bushings : Pegasus Solid Sub Frame Bushings : 1LE Brembo Conversion : B&M 70273 Trans Cooler
Old 05-21-2016, 08:39 PM   #7
pony

Drives: 2011 2SS Convert; Color RJT
What ever you do, DON'T buy a box store epoxy floor covering. I still think epoxy is the way to go, but it depends on the brand you use. I did a lot of researching before I did mine 6 years ago, and settled on Devran 224V Epoxy. I then top coated it with 2 part urathane. It still looks brand new. More expensive, but worth it. Plus, customer service is excellent. Here's a link to the online store FYI

http://www.originalcolorchips.com/store

Name:  IMG_1793.jpg
Views: 661
Size:  279.8 KB

Name:  IMG_1879.jpg
Views: 650
Size:  206.2 KB
pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 06:30 PM   #8
sspade

That does look mint. Would be super happy with that look if I could duplicate it. I'm assuming you applied this product yourself... Was it difficult? Does it come with instructions or is the product meant for a professional who knows what they are doing?

Getting my garage squared away is definitely a top priority this summer and will happen one way or another - appreciate everyone's input.
Old 05-30-2016, 10:42 PM   #9
pony

Drives: 2011 2SS Convert; Color RJT
Quote:
Originally Posted by sspade View Post
That does look mint. Would be super happy with that look if I could duplicate it. I'm assuming you applied this product yourself... Was it difficult? Does it come with instructions or is the product meant for a professional who knows what they are doing?

Getting my garage squared away is definitely a top priority this summer and will happen one way or another - appreciate everyone's input.
Actually, very easy. Prep/clean floor. I actually used some muriatic acid to open up the floor as it was troweled smooth. Then I used a patch (sold by mentioned store) to fill some minor cracks, then caulked the cut expansion seams. Sanded off excess caulk and patch with sander with COURSE grit.

First was a thin primer coat of the expoxy to soak in (can't remember exactly what I used- xylene?). Then the main base coat. Sprinkle the chips, and you're done until dry. I used some short pieces of 1x6 with multiple screws drilled through, then ducked taped to old pair of tennis shoes. This allowed me to walk on rolled floor for touch up, recoat, and sprinkling of the chips without F'n up the floor.

Last is the Top coat of 2 part urethane. Don't plan on doing this in 1 day, as you need time for floor to dry after cleaning preping, etc. Hope this info helps.

Name:  floor crop.jpg
Views: 670
Size:  188.3 KB
pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 12:42 PM   #10
sspade

Cool, thanks for sharing. I think I will give this a shot.
Old 06-02-2016, 12:50 PM   #11
Silver14

Drives: 2014 SIM 2SS
I used a kit from Armor Garage a little over 5 years ago. The floor is in pretty good shape but has a few chips in the epoxy from me being careless. I like the floor, but will probably try some kind of garage tile in the future to change the look.
Silver14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 09:31 PM   #12
Tenring

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS - SIM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil' Nasty View Post
Not an expert but...Im perfectly happy with the rustoleum epoxy coating in both of my garages.
Same here, about $225 at Home Depo to do my three car garage and it is holding up great.
Tenring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 04:00 PM   #13
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by pony View Post
Actually, very easy. Prep/clean floor. I actually used some muriatic acid to open up the floor as it was troweled smooth. Then I used a patch (sold by mentioned store) to fill some minor cracks, then caulked the cut expansion seams. Sanded off excess caulk and patch with sander with COURSE grit.

First was a thin primer coat of the expoxy to soak in (can't remember exactly what I used- xylene?). Then the main base coat. Sprinkle the chips, and you're done until dry. I used some short pieces of 1x6 with multiple screws drilled through, then ducked taped to old pair of tennis shoes. This allowed me to walk on rolled floor for touch up, recoat, and sprinkling of the chips without F'n up the floor.

Last is the Top coat of 2 part urethane. Don't plan on doing this in 1 day, as you need time for floor to dry after cleaning preping, etc. Hope this info helps.

Attachment 798848
I love the 1x6's - I never thought of that!
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 11:23 PM   #14
bloss

Drives: 2006 Camaro
Hi... In my experience epoxy coating is a best solution to get easy maintenance, safe, easily applicable flooring. I did it in my garage from an epoxy floor contractors, Proseal Concrete Floors in Richmond Hill. If you are interested, just go through their site. You can find more information there. The slippery nature is very less for the epoxy coated floor. In my opinion, it is a good option.
bloss is offline   Reply With Quote