Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-30-2009, 05:52 PM   #1
jpsuperman81
Yep I'm back!

Drives: 2017 Krypton Green 1SS 1LE
Help me find a Cam want you?

Ok guys I was thinking about a cam, I have almost decided to do nearly everything besides forced induction. I don't know anything about cams but I saw ADM offers stage one and stage two and I was leaning towards stage 2 type of cam. I don't want the very first step and I don't want an extreme. I also want to keep the engine as safe as possible, I was told I needed to upgrade springs and the pushrods. Do the springs need to be changed every 30,000 like an above person mentioned? Is there any other info you can give me or any suggestions? Car will be a daily driver but that doesn't mean a lot of mileage, it will never see track or strip but I still want to make it a beast. Car will be a LS3 and hopefully will be born next week.

So what are my options? I want to do it right and do whatever needs to be done or replaced. What are my other cam options? I also have ARH longtubes that will be going on if that makes any difference.

Also guys I planned on longtubes,intake,mufflers,tune and now probably a cam. What else can be done for performance without discussing forced induction? If I get a cam installed is there anything else I should look into replacing or reinforcing?

Ok spike and anyone else, help away.

Last edited by jpsuperman81; 07-30-2009 at 07:13 PM.
jpsuperman81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 06:25 PM   #2
PolishMike

Drives: 2010 2SS RS
Don't know about the every 30k thing but I highly doubt it.

If your going with the stage 2 cam, the stock springs should be ok, but it would not hurt to get some better ones in there. Call ADM to confirm that. Usually you do not need to unless you are doing a more drastic cam. You will need to get a tune to get the power out of it though.
IOM w/ White Stripes 2SS RS M6 #17772
Now - Stainless Works 2" Headers, Intake, Cam, tune, ect
And shepherds we shall be, For thee my lord for thee. Power has descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy commands. So we shall flow a river forth to thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be.In nomine Patri, Et Fili, Spiritus Sancti
PolishMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 06:30 PM   #3
jpsuperman81
Yep I'm back!

Yeah ADM reccomended springs, I don't want to skip anything I want it done right. I would consider a more agressive cam if it wasn't too much. Car just has to be driveable, loud is fine, don't want to kill gas mileage or driveability. I had planned on getting it tuned, already have long tubes waiting and mufflers on the way.
Old 07-30-2009, 06:37 PM   #4
PolishMike

Drives: 2010 2SS RS
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsuperman81 View Post
Yeah ADM reccomended springs, I don't want to skip anything I want it done right. I would consider a more agressive cam if it wasn't too much. Car just has to be driveable, loud is fine, don't want to kill gas mileage or driveability. I had planned on getting it tuned, already have long tubes waiting and mufflers on the way.
Too much what? Money? Most cams are going to cost the same. There is no reason why ADM's stage 2 costs more than the stage 1.

Look into some other brands, well Comp makes most of em right now, but look at what other vendors such as livernois are offering.
IOM w/ White Stripes 2SS RS M6 #17772
Now - Stainless Works 2" Headers, Intake, Cam, tune, ect
And shepherds we shall be, For thee my lord for thee. Power has descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy commands. So we shall flow a river forth to thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be.In nomine Patri, Et Fili, Spiritus Sancti
PolishMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 06:43 PM   #5
jpsuperman81
Yep I'm back!

Sorry I meant different cams as long as it wasn't too much power/lope or whatever, like if it wasn't too crazy like for a racecar or something super exotic. Does that make since? Money is not a prob that's why I said I want it done right and adm does charge 100 more for stage 2 than a stage 1.
Old 07-30-2009, 07:31 PM   #6
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
I can honestly say that I am not a cam expert by any means.
The main problem you will get when asking online what kind of cam you should go with is that you will get 23984721498767210349671209473457 answers. (ok... maybe I exaggerated a little, but the point still stands)

basically what you are wanting is a streetable, but decently powerful car.
as far as the 30k spring change, ive heard of it, but never seen it in practice. if you upgrade the springs to a good quality/capability when you do the swap, you shouldnt have any problems.

one of the best ways to find the best cam for you is to call up nearly every cam manufacturer and tell them what you want to do, and I can guarantee you, every answer you get will be different.

that being said. Comp Cams and Mast Motorsports already have some trick cams for both the LS3 and the L99 available.

http://mastmotorsports.com/

http://www.compcams.com/DefaultWide.asp
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 12:37 AM   #7
UsedTaHaveA68

Drives: Hyundai Sonata
You'll get 100 different answers on which cam to use, but most will fall into a certain range of cams and from there you should be able to make a fairly informed decision. You might try calling some of these shops who make the cam packages and see if they'll let you drive one of their cars.

After cam, headers, and intake the next step would be a set of CNC'd heads. If you're planning on that route, I'd buy a cam that matched the heads, rather than buying a cam and then doing heads later on.

After that you're looking at tearing the engine apart to increase displacement.
UsedTaHaveA68 is offline   Reply With Quote