Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-18-2013, 07:28 AM   #1
11syn3rgy
JT Synergy RS/2SS

Drives: 2011 Camaro RS/2SS (L99) Synergy
Borla S-Type vs. Corsa with headers (V8)

Hey guys,

I realize that exhaust questions have probably been discussed to death, but I'd like your opinions. I just recently installed LT headers and high-flow cats and (now) have the Borla S-type axle-back. I just traded out the Atak axle-back because it was a bit too much under WOT, with headers. I also have a Jannetty tuner and the AFM has been turned off. The S-type sounds sweet (mean) but there is some drone while cruising (UGH!!!!). I can probably live with it, but I wanted to see what you thought of this set up vs the Corsa cat-back system? I know that Corsa is more expensive and claims "NO" drone, but what about the sound difference.

Thoughts.
11syn3rgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 07:35 AM   #2
mikeyg36

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #533
Corsa would be a bit louder, and IMO sound better. There isn't any drone with the Corsa either. Another option is the Stainless Works Retro Chambered catback. It's a bit cheaper than the Corsa and sounds just as good.
mikeyg36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 07:36 AM   #3
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
If you didn't like the Atak then you won't like Corsa. These two systems sound almost identical.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 08:11 AM   #4
11syn3rgy
JT Synergy RS/2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
If you didn't like the Atak then you won't like Corsa. These two systems sound almost identical.
That's interesting that you say that because I was just listening to some Corsa sound clips, and I was thinking the same thing.

Thanks!
Old 05-18-2013, 08:43 AM   #5
Denis

Drives: 2010 SS
I have long tubes, no cats and the l99 version of the Corsacat back and it's loud at WOT, sounds good though. And yea. ZERO drone.
Old 05-18-2013, 09:09 AM   #6
11syn3rgy
JT Synergy RS/2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis View Post
I have long tubes, no cats and the l99 version of the Corsacat back and it's loud at WOT, sounds good though. And yea. ZERO drone.
Thanks man. Great looking car too!!
Old 05-18-2013, 09:30 AM   #7
nyadk5thgen

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3 M6 JRE cam & tune
Hey, i couldnt wait to find a used one so i said screw it and ordered a new axle back borla Atak from summit and put it on last night....sounds great... loud as hell at WOT but quieter than i thought it would be just cruising so im happy with that...... anyway..... i have my Borla touring axle back if interested..... they sound great, there is NO drone with these on my car imho, and i am Jannetty cammed/tunned, headers,hi-flows,cai,etc etc
nyadk5thgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 09:36 AM   #8
marticus24

Drives: 2012 ZL1
I have the S-Type with LTs/cats and loved the sound - then it only got sweeter when I added the cam.

That being said - I've heard plenty w/the Corsa in person… personally, not my preference. It may not drone, but the sound on the outside is what I'd describe as slightly higher pitched or raspy compared w/the S-type. It doesn't have that deep rumble that the S-type does. I know a lot of people like it, but it's just not my preference. If you're coming from an S-Type, I'd urge you to hear it in person first because you may not like it - really depends on your preference and how much you can tolerate what I'd only call mild drone w/the S-type.
marticus24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 11:36 AM   #9
11syn3rgy
JT Synergy RS/2SS

Thanks guys! I really appreciate your advice. That's the great thing about this forum. The Atak was awesome without headers, but too loud/raspy for me, personally with headers. I really like the deep rumble of the S-type and I think I'll try and deal with a little drone and see how I feel. It does sound like the Corsa, although drone-free, is a little more raspy as well. Not really my preference either. I would've stayed with the Atak if that is the case. It didn't drone either.
Old 05-18-2013, 12:23 PM   #10
bkscott

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Or you could add some J pipes and eliminate the drone.

ADM CAI, Borla Type S Cat Back, VMAX Ported TB, LG Short Throw Shifter, 1LE Shocks, Hotchkis Sway Bars, Whiteline Cradle Bushing Inserts, Custom Powdercoated ZL1's ,Michelin Pilot Supersports, Stainless Power Headers, Solo J Pipes, AAC LED Sidemarkers, ZL1 Rockers, SLP Splitter, ADM Stage II Cam,ZL1 Diffuser,Vitesse Throttle Controller.

bkscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 12:27 PM   #11
11syn3rgy
JT Synergy RS/2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkscott View Post
Or you could add some J pipes and eliminate the drone.
Yeah, I thought about that too. Do they change the sound of the car at all? Do they really work? I understand that you can "tune" them to some degree but I'm skeptical, to be honest. Open to suggestions.

Thanks!

Tags
borla, corsa, headers