Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 07-03-2011, 07:24 AM   #183
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwavers View Post
Thanks for the help. The camera is from XOvision, model HTC37. I just used a RCA extension cord that plugged directly into the camera pigtail. For the power & ground I used 14g wires that I ran along with the RCA all the way to the front. So the video feed has no splices in it up to the fuse box, just one male to female conector @ the camera. Could a splice in the power or ground cause this? There is only one splice on each, from the length of wire to the 12v female socket that the camera pigtail plugs into. I had good contact on both wires, good solder, then heat shrink. I also pulled a small flatscreen into the front seat & plugged in the RCA that I had ran forward & the picture was fine. So I'm thinking the power, ground, & RCA from the back are ok. I've already switched & re-soldered the terminal in the female RCA on Ofer's harness per his direction over the phone.

Ofer, do you think it could be what IOM Ninja is talking about?

Thanks again.
No, you are getting power to the the camera, I think your picking up a lot of cross power and that is you problem, You said you are running 14g wire that is way to big IMO look at the info on your camera it only need's "Current Consumption: no more 150mA " to work, On all the camera and harness that we have done the wires are 26G to 22G and the pic is good.

If you can before you get to far in to it, try to run the wires out of the car and see if it gets better, Last where are you grounding too, if you have a bad ground it will look like that.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 07:31 AM   #184
rwavers

Drives: 2011 Black 2SS
Thanks man. I'm going to spend some time on it today. I'll let you know how it turns out.
rwavers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 01:34 PM   #185
rwavers

Drives: 2011 Black 2SS
So I ran all new 22g wire completely outside the car and there was no improvement. Still static. I tried a different ground, also no help. I also ran an RCA chord around the outside as well so none of the wires could have interference. No luck. So I guess it is either a bad camera from the manufacturer, or a problem in the harness. I guess I'll buy another camera and try again in a few days. If anyone else has any suggestions I'm all ears. Thanks guys.
rwavers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 02:39 PM   #186
2SSRS@Gen5diy

If you like i can send you the GM camera and if you like it then we can work out a price, I had some member not like the same manufacturing country, any way let me know if you want that, But if you install it the bumper has to be cut.
Old 07-04-2011, 02:03 AM   #187
thebrainhart

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS/RS CGM LS3 A6
Ha, that HTC37 is the camera I used too.
Mine also turned bad, most times.
Depending on the light, like at sunset, or dusk, it gets real clear sometimes.
I think it may have to do with the night vision settings.
Some ProCharger, Alky, CompCams, Brian Tooley, Holley, Livernois, K&N, Ridetech, DSS, Kooks, JDP Motorsports, Pfadt, BMR, Prothane, Weld, M&H, Mickey Thompson, RKSport, Elite, Garys, Defenderworx, Anvil, etc.
thebrainhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 08:24 PM   #188
usranger80

Drives: 2011 1LT "Bumblebee"
So I am interested in doing this, I have tried reading through the entire forum but can't find where you guys are getting the kit. I have a couple questions though, I have a 2011 1LT/RS M6, can this kit still be used on that model/trim. If so I am interested in doing this.
usranger80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 08:31 PM   #189
2SSRS@Gen5diy

You can get it here, http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142687
On a 1lt all you do is instead of the power for the camera coming from the mirror you will need to t-tap your revers lights and power the camera, If you let me know i can add a power and ground in to the harness at the back end of the car.
Old 07-05-2011, 10:19 PM   #190
Fubar

Drives: SW 2SS/RS M6
Great mod....
Fubar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 08:21 PM   #191
johnntab

Drives: 2010 2SSRS, 69 SS, 92 RS, 2018 ZL1
Ofer is awesome...That is for those of you who didnt already know.
I bought the harness for the backup camera, I also got him to send me the front camera as well. With the camera, he sent me a 3 way video switch to change from the front camera to the back.
To make this work, we connected the front camera to video 1 input on the switch, so it is always displayed on the mirror (as long as the mirror has power and is turned on). I connected the black wire from the front camera to the ground by the screw in the fuse access panel. The red wire from the front camera gets connected to the green from the mirror harness, and both of those are connected to a power source in the fuse box. The green wire would normally bring power to the camera from the mirror, but I used it as the opposite to take power to the mirror while the car is not in reverse.
We connected the back camera to the video 2 input, and the red wire from the switch labeled video 2 trigger gets connected to the red from the rear camera. Now, back near the tail lights, the wiring harnesses have to be spliced. Ofer recommends a t-tap to connect the pink wire from the camera harness to the light green wire in the rear lighting wire harness. This will allow the back up light circuit to power the rear camera, and trigger the switch to display the rear camera (video 2).**
When connected like this, the mirror will display the front camera at all times, except when the car is put in reverse. When the car is in reverse, the screen switches to the back camera.
I have not finished the install yet, but have only made some quick wire connections to test it. Once I do the real install, I will try to post some supplemental pictures. ( If I can figure out how to post pics).
johnntab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 06:28 AM   #192
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Thank You ,but you did it all i did was help, Please post some pics of how to do it, Some of us need this mod.
Old 07-11-2011, 03:47 PM   #193
BrandonB956

Drives: RS (11/15/10)
Saved for later

Nov.15th 2010 -- Check out my build thread
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116235
BrandonB956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 12:21 AM   #194
ace1808

Drives: 2011 CGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnntab View Post
Ofer is awesome...That is for those of you who didnt already know.
I bought the harness for the backup camera, I also got him to send me the front camera as well. With the camera, he sent me a 3 way video switch to change from the front camera to the back.
To make this work, we connected the front camera to video 1 input on the switch, so it is always displayed on the mirror (as long as the mirror has power and is turned on). I connected the black wire from the front camera to the ground by the screw in the fuse access panel. The red wire from the front camera gets connected to the green from the mirror harness, and both of those are connected to a power source in the fuse box. The green wire would normally bring power to the camera from the mirror, but I used it as the opposite to take power to the mirror while the car is not in reverse.
We connected the back camera to the video 2 input, and the red wire from the switch labeled video 2 trigger gets connected to the red from the rear camera. Now, back near the tail lights, the wiring harnesses have to be spliced. Ofer recommends a t-tap to connect the pink wire from the camera harness to the light green wire in the rear lighting wire harness. This will allow the back up light circuit to power the rear camera, and trigger the switch to display the rear camera (video 2).**
When connected like this, the mirror will display the front camera at all times, except when the car is put in reverse. When the car is in reverse, the screen switches to the back camera.
I have not finished the install yet, but have only made some quick wire connections to test it. Once I do the real install, I will try to post some supplemental pictures. ( If I can figure out how to post pics).
This mod sounds awesome. Is there anyway to retrofit the old harness we bought from ofer originally to make this happen? Or do we need to buy a new harness? Thanks
ace1808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 07:44 AM   #195
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Same harness all you do is change the way you use it.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:35 PM   #196
Gene Culley
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 SS
Here is a photo of my installed camera. I tried to make it a clean install!

Gene Culley is offline   Reply With Quote