Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 12-29-2013, 03:56 PM   #1
snackbar64

Drives: SW 2017 ZL1, M6, Carbon, Nav, MR,
The ZL1 meets Temecula, CA

Took my annual trip home from Texas to LA to see my parents and what a journey it was. On the way back I crossed over the 30,000 mile mark and I have not even had the car a year. Bought it new February 9th and with all the miles traveled I haven't had a moment's trouble.

Anyway, here are a few pictures from our trip from Los Angeles to San Diego. We took the 91 freeway to the 15 and I must say the mountain views are amazing and in my top 5 in scenic routes traveled thus far. We stopped off at my uncles home in Lake Elsinore and then Temecula for a little wine tasting. My mother and wife all rode in the car with me and and had a fabulous time.

My only gripe about the trip is the seemingly never ending pot holes and otherwise ravaged streets of inner city Los Angeles. I don't think this car would last me very long if I had to drive roads like this everyday. Magnetic ride control can only work so many miracles and I salute you guys that have to endure it.

For any of you wondering if this car is up to the task as a grand tourer I hope this answers it. I averaged 18.5 mpg the entire trip and the Onstar remote link app came in handy as my wife was able to send directions from the cell phone to the Nav unit in the car seamlessly on the fly. Can't imagine owning this car without Nav, although the standard turn by turn works just fine without a map and I found my self using it as well a few times during the trip. The speed limit recognition feature was accurate about 75% of the trip. I was surprised just how many gas stations don't show up in the fuel prices feature through XM. I also have one question and maybe small gripe about an otherwise fabulous radio. Why doesn't the time automatically change when you cross over time zones?

I changed tires at 20,000 miles and so far they still look good 10,000 miles in!

What a car and what an adventure.
Attached Images

snackbar64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 04:50 PM   #2
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
Really good to hear about your trip and experience. The car should hold up good!!

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 04:56 PM   #3
Moreno1

Drives: G5.R
Nice! Glad to hear you enjoyed the wine country. I go to a church in that area. Early mornings you can see up to 10+ hot air balloons up at a time floating above the vineyards.
Moreno1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 06:35 PM   #4
Deke736
COTW 12/3/12

Drives: 2012 Ashen Gray ZL1
That sounds like a fun trip! I look forward to being able to spend a trip like that on the road with my ZL1! Thanks for the pics and the post!
Old 12-29-2013, 07:02 PM   #5
oldfriend

Drives: Fiat 500 E
You lucky dog , I remember those photos from the day you took delivery off your car
You were happy then and still with that Permagrin stamped on your face , you can't hide it
That's great , and no issues with the car , it's like ice on the cake
Well done
oldfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 12:37 AM   #6
Todd in Vancouver

Drives: 2014 ZL1
Looks like a great trip and good time. Nice to see a ZL getting used and hitting the road and using the car to do some touring. Use it and enjoy it, that's what they are meant to do and life is to short to not have some fun along the way.

How hard can it be...
Check out my other build http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/9...ject-Obsession

Todd in Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 06:38 AM   #7
joes407

Drives: 2014 ZL1m6 red hot #569
congrats to another driver. I just crossed 31k this holiday road trip myself
joes407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 08:44 AM   #8
C-redfly

Drives: 2013 VR vert ZL1
Congrats. I live in the inner city of Los Angeles and agree the roads are a pita to drive in. Great trip though, you got a lot of memories.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk
C-redfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 11:23 AM   #9
snackbar64

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfriend View Post
You lucky dog , I remember those photos from the day you took delivery off your car
You were happy then and still with that Permagrin stamped on your face , you can't hide it
That's great , and no issues with the car , it's like ice on the cake
Well done
Yes Old friend I am really enjoying this machine. If I can get there on 2 to 4 wheels I don't even consider flying. Why spend money to strip naked and throw all my good cologne away just to fly somebody's airline?

And yes, I remember the day I brought the car home. I will never forget that special day. I'll drive it until the wheels fall off and then put 4 more on it.

Thanks for chiming in!
Old 12-30-2013, 11:24 AM   #10
snackbar64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Moreno View Post
Nice! Glad to hear you enjoyed the wine country. I go to a church in that area. Early mornings you can see up to 10+ hot air balloons up at a time floating above the vineyards.
I missed the balloons so now I gotta drive back there in May to see those.
Old 12-30-2013, 11:27 AM   #11
snackbar64

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-redfly View Post
Congrats. I live in the inner city of Los Angeles and agree the roads are a pita to drive in. Great trip though, you got a lot of memories.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk
Good to know there are other ZL1s roaming LA streets. I never saw another the whole time I was there. I'm headed back in May for another colossal road trip! I'll look out for you.