Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 01-16-2010, 03:00 PM   #1
3BVert

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Hey Hey, Ho Ho, AFM has got to GO!

First, let me say my Camaro is a 100% stock L99. The intrusive nature of the displacement on demand (DoD/AFM) has annoyed me from day one. I can't imagine if I had an aftermarket exhaust! GM service couldn't fix it and simply said "it may be normal" and that all I can do is wait for GM to update their software. So... potential warranty issues be damned, AFM has got to go!

I decided to shell out the money and go with a Diablosport Predator. Today, the weather finally warmed up enough for some driving so I turned off DoD and installed the Diablo Tune. I've only been able to put on a few miles, but at this point, I couldn't be happier! I'm sure the tune will be better, but that's just gravy for me. AFM had to go!

I'm sure that these questions have been asked somewhere in here, but maybe someone can quickly answer them for me...

My Camaro has not been updated to the new GM calibrations, so I left the Predator on the r13 tune that it came with.

1) The second the Predator started to read or write a tune, the Service Stabilli Trak warning came up on on the DIC. It went away once the read/write was complete and it has not returned. Is this a normal characteristic of the installation process?

2) Once in the Performance Tunes menu, I had the option of Diablo Tune or 91 Octane. It seems that I've heard of people having the option of 93 Octane, 91 Octane and 87 Octane. I run 93. Is the Diablo Tune a 93 Octane tune?

Thanks to Diablosport for the Predator and this forum for giving me the courage to use it!
Old 01-16-2010, 03:56 PM   #2
silverfox

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
The stabilitrac thing comes on after a run on a dyno but goes off after a mile of regular driving. Same thing in your case i think.
silverfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 07:16 AM   #3
Beauwulf

Drives: '10 LT RS A6 & '04 Acura RSX Type S
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfox View Post
The stabilitrac thing comes on after a run on a dyno but goes off after a mile of regular driving. Same thing in your case i think.
The stabilitrac comes on when you dyno it because your front tires are not turning. Stabilitrac uses wheel speed to sense slippage of the tires. It will then apply brakes as required to correct the slide. When your on the dyno, the rears are turning and the front aren't so it registers as a slide and attempts to correct it. TC and ST should be turned off for dyno work.

That said, the issue the OP has is probably not related. It is most likely a service lite that pops up when the system is off during the write process. You can check the codes to see if it was a real fault or not.
Old 01-17-2010, 08:17 AM   #4
06MonteSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2006 Monte Carlo SS
#1 - yes, this is normal during the flash process... you will get the DIC messages... after everything is done and you start up the car, the messages are gone and you're good to go...

#2 - the "Diablo Tune" is the 93 octane tune... and then there's the 91 octane tune...

and you will not have an option for the 87 octane tune with the camaros... since you need to run at least 91 octane in them...
06MonteSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 12:57 PM   #5
3BVert

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06MonteSS View Post
#1 - yes, this is normal during the flash process... you will get the DIC messages... after everything is done and you start up the car, the messages are gone and you're good to go...

#2 - the "Diablo Tune" is the 93 octane tune... and then there's the 91 octane tune...

and you will not have an option for the 87 octane tune with the camaros... since you need to run at least 91 octane in them...
Makes sense. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 01-17-2010, 01:03 PM   #6
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06MonteSS View Post

I have a technical clarification. Everything on here is correct except for the 87 octane issue. GM recommends premium fuel, but your car can run on 87. You will experience reduced performance, and that is why it is recommended that you use higher octane. It is always best to use the recommended fuel, but that is not required.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 02:15 PM   #7
3BVert

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
I have a technical clarification. Everything on here is correct except for the 87 octane issue. GM recommends premium fuel, but your car can run on 87. You will experience reduced performance, and that is why it is recommended that you use higher octane. It is always best to use the recommended fuel, but that is not required.
It does make sense though that Diablosport wouldn't provide a performance tune for 87 octane.
Old 01-17-2010, 02:57 PM   #8
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3BVert View Post
It does make sense though that Diablosport wouldn't provide a performance tune for 87 octane.
Of course it makes sense. Who wants to sell a product with good performance when great performance is available at the same price? I just thought I'd throw that tidbit out there.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote