Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 09-21-2011, 10:14 AM   #1
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Question AXLE BACK INSTALL..

Hey guys and gals, my last car was a mustang with an SRA and when you needed to work on the rear end of the car you could jack it under the diff housing and support the car with jack stands under the axle housings on each side,my camaro has the IRS which I have never had before, what jack point do you use to jack up the rear of the car and where do you place your jack stands to support the car to do an axle baxk install. Thanks for the info.
1JEWLDSSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 11:04 AM   #2
sscamaro

Drives: 2010 2SS, 2017 Silverado LTZ
I do jack up the rear using the differential housing. Just look for a solid place to put the jack stands.
2010 2SS/RS Victory Red, MN6, 1-7/8 Kooks LT Headers, SLP Axle Back, Edelbrock E-Force S/C, ZL1 Fuel Pump, 72# Injectors, JRE fuel rail upgrade, Roto-Fab CAI, Elite Catch Can, Billet Hurst Shifter, DSS 1000HP axles, Spohn Trailing Arms, Toe Links, Lower Control Arms. Chrome American Racing Torq-Thrust wheels. 546/rwhp & 522/rwtq & 10.9# boost Tune by Jeremy Formato.
sscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 11:21 AM   #3
BowlingSS
Camaro Owner Since 1987

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS L99 RJT
Try this thread:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...jacking+points

Bill
VMax Ported RJT Throttle Body
XSPower Headers and XSPower 3" Exhaust System
Elite Engineering Tunnel Brace,
Gorilla Wheel Lock System; Bear Rotors, Hawk HPS
Tinted Windows 35%;EFILive Tune
BowlingSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 05:33 PM   #4
1JEWLDSSRS

Thanks guys, as always some one always come thru on this forum, that's why I like the " camaro5 " family. Thanks.Just what I needed.
Old 09-21-2011, 06:07 PM   #5
bikerdan
BLOWNSS

Drives: 2011 SUPERCHARGED Camero SS
I did my axle back install today just using two ramps under rear tires. Was easy
2011 LS3 SS/RS, M6, Maggie TVS2300 - cog drive, CAI, ZL1 fuel pump, Autometer gages, BEHE Performance tune , boost and AFR gages, MGW shifter, SLP long tube headers with high flow cats, Flowmaster Pro ex., Pfadt trailing arms, toe rods & bushings, G-Force axles, American Racing wheels, 305 mm P zero on rear, Elite catch can, SLP hood, amp & sub.
bikerdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 06:08 PM   #6
1JEWLDSSRS

Cool AXLE BACK INSTALL UPDATE..

Well guys and gals, picked up my Pypes axle back kit from UPS last night and installed it this morning at my friends exhaust shop, man what a PITA this was, nothing on the drivers side line up at all, had to do some major surgery to the stock pipe and the hangers on the Pypes tips, but we got it, the passenger side was a piece of cake, all was well with it, took us 1.5 hours to get it done. But when we started the car to drive it off of the drive on lift, MAN what a sweet sound, I love it, not too loud and not too quiet, when you romp on it, man it comes alive, no drone at all in the car, shifting up thru the gears, man what a sweet sound, really turned some heads today driving around my town. The Pype Bomb comes with 4.5 inch tips and they are awesome. I listened to alot of vids before I made my decision and made the right choice. The vids online for this kit don't do it any justice, you have to hear it in person to appreciate it, well wirth the money. Sorry I don't have a camera so I can't post any pics, but it is an awesome kit..
Old 10-01-2011, 06:38 PM   #7
DOOK
Wearing My BowTie

Drives: 2SS~RS VR~Black Ralley's
I must agree with you. The Pypes package sounds noticeably better than the others availiable. Even just going by the vids, Pypes sound deeper.
They all seem to have that decelleration crackle, so I guess that is unavoidable.
I wish I could hear the difference between Muffler delete, and any of the axle back systems.
Any input?
DOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 07:22 PM   #8
1JEWLDSSRS

I listened to a guy around here that did the muffler delete and he didn't like and I didn't either, it was too raspy and loud, I also talked to a guy at the dealershio who did the magnaflow axle back on his SS and I thought it was too quiet, but he liked it as he was an older man, the Pypes Pype Bomb I installed when you start the car, it has a deep rumble to it like it should for a muscle car.When you drive of and shift up thru the gears, it has a really deep tone to it and turns heads, the delete is just plain loud. I also heard a Flowmaster AT axle back and it also sounded too quiet for me.
Oh, I forgot to let you know there are many sound vids on this forum with the muffler deletes to listen to. And my SS has the L99 engine..
Old 10-01-2011, 07:41 PM   #9
Parag

Drives: 2010 camaro 2SS LS3
I just learned that muffler delete and catless headers are too loud. Lol
Parag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 12:19 AM   #10
chichi

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
I have been thinking about getting the pypes also. After reading your post I think these are the ones I will buy. How loud is it on the interstate, I drive my car 60 miles a day and I don't want it too loud.
chichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 03:31 PM   #11
1JEWLDSSRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by chichi View Post
I have been thinking about getting the pypes also. After reading your post I think these are the ones I will buy. How loud is it on the interstate, I drive my car 60 miles a day and I don't want it too loud.
Well cruising at 70 mph it isn't real loud at all, can just barely hear it. It has all it's growl down low, and it does turn heads and gets thumbs up from folks and going up thru the gears opon accelerating and when cruising the sound you hear is very low and behind you, so you can still have a normal conversation with someone in the car. I got mine from Marylandspeed for 284 shipped..I love it cause I didn't want my car too loud, or too quiet either, it's just right to turn heads and sound mean..Good luck.
Old 10-02-2011, 05:39 PM   #12
Jcobra

Drives: 2010 2ss/rs M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parag View Post
I just learned that muffler delete and catless headers are too loud. Lol
Sound bad or just too loud??
Jcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 08:07 PM   #13
chichi

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
Thanks for the response, thats just what I wanted to hear.
chichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 08:50 PM   #14
PAUL SS
The Mark of Excellence

Drives: 2010 ABM 1SS RS LS3
Thanks for the review, those are the axle backs I am considering. What do you estimate the weight savings are?