Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 08-16-2011, 04:10 AM   #1
M-SS

Drives: Camaro SS 2010
Exclamation Camaro SS brake noise

HI

This is such a stupid problem..... I replaced my Camaro 2010 SS brakes front and rear “Brembo's“ but still the I hear a sequel when I slow stop, took back to the dealer and the dude said they need to be seated then the noise will go $$$, I am sick of pulling up to a light and there monster looking car sounds like Shit ! when it comes to a stop ....

Any fix please help me I don’t feel like driving my 35K car and I love the car L and if its permanent I going to sell my SS :( :(

Thanks
M-SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 10:43 AM   #2
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by M-SS View Post
HI

This is such a stupid problem..... I replaced my Camaro 2010 SS brakes front and rear “Brembo's“ but still the I hear a sequel when I slow stop, took back to the dealer and the dude said they need to be seated then the noise will go $$$, I am sick of pulling up to a light and there monster looking car sounds like Shit ! when it comes to a stop ....

Any fix please help me I don’t feel like driving my 35K car and I love the car L and if its permanent I going to sell my SS :( :(

Thanks
Your Camaro SS has a great set of performance brakes. Unfortunately, performance brakes make noise and a lot of dust. It is unavoidable. Some on this forum change to a less agressive pad and sacrifice some brake function for less noise and dust. I and other install even more agressive pads that make more noise and are just plain filthy.

You could try to 'bed' your pads. It has helped with the noise. Find an isolated lightly trafficked highway. At 55 MPH stand on the brakes hard down to 35 MPH, back up to 65 MPH and down to 35, back up to 75 MPH and down to 35 MPH. Now drive without using your brakes for 5 or ten miles to let them cool. This cycle builds up a considerable amount of heat to bed the pads. There are two keys to doing this successfully. The first is never come to a full stop until the brakes have cooled. The second is do not use your parking brake after the bedding and cool down. We want to avoid any possibility of pad transfer to the rotors.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 10:56 AM   #3
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Upgrading to ceramic pads might be able to do the trick.
Old 08-17-2011, 12:16 AM   #4
M-SS

Thanks JusticsePete i will try that hope it helps :(
Stieger after going through the threads here i was thinking of that !
Old 08-17-2011, 12:17 AM   #5
M-SS

guys i found these set of front ceramic pads for my ss , whats is your advice should give it a try or these are useless ?????

http://www.amazon.com/Hawk-Performan...2010&carId=001
Old 08-17-2011, 07:30 AM   #6
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Go for it. A lot of people switched to ceramic pads to counteract the brake squealing.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:22 AM   #7
JusticePete

Quote:
Thanks JusticsePete i will try that hope it helps :(
Stieger after going through the threads here i was thinking of that !
The good news is it can't hurt.
Old 08-21-2011, 12:38 AM   #8
M-SS

guys the bedding thing its not working or i am doing it wrongly :(
Old 08-22-2011, 10:23 AM   #9
JusticePete

Quote:
guys the bedding thing its not working or i am doing it wrongly :(
Please tell me what you are doing?
Old 08-22-2011, 02:53 PM   #10
M-SS

Juticepet I think I did wrongly I will do it again in few days and let you know thanks

Old 08-22-2011, 03:24 PM   #11
JusticePete

Quote:
Juticepet I think I did wrongly I will do it again in few days and let you know thanks
Show me a person that doesn't make mistakes and I'll show you a person that is not doing enought for the Rebellion!

Ooops, brake bedding

Please do when you have a chance.
Old 08-23-2011, 02:08 AM   #12
M-SS

Guys my dealer called me today , i will go tomorrow and give the car , let see what they will do !!

Old 08-23-2011, 05:07 AM   #13
AKA
Go SteeleRS/SS

Drives: '11 SS/RS LS3
I'm having the same problem with my brakes. It sounds like it's the front and the dealer told me to give them a while to brake in. If you get answers can you let us know, sounds like a common problem.

By the way I was going to get black wheels but I figure with the amount of dust my brakes leave on the wheels if I don't wash them for a couple days they turn black. What a bonus.
AKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 10:40 AM   #14
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteeleRS/SS View Post
I'm having the same problem with my brakes. It sounds like it's the front and the dealer told me to give them a while to brake in. If you get answers can you let us know, sounds like a common problem.

By the way I was going to get black wheels but I figure with the amount of dust my brakes leave on the wheels if I don't wash them for a couple days they turn black. What a bonus.
The 5th Gen is no different than a BMW in terms of brake dust. We have all seen the BIG BUCKS 7 series with black front wheels and dirty gray rear wheels. When brakes work, they make dust. The pads and rotors both wear away with every application of the brakes. That means you have brake pad dust and iron rotor dust collecting on the wheels. The more aggressive the pad, the better they stop, the more dust they make.

For the noise, You could try to 'bed' your pads. It has helped with the noise. Find an isolated lightly trafficked highway. At 55 MPH stand on the brakes hard down to 35 MPH, back up to 65 MPH and down to 35, back up to 75 MPH and down to 35 MPH. Now drive without using your brakes for 5 or ten miles to let them cool. This cycle builds up a considerable amount of heat to bed the pads. There are two keys to doing this successfully. The first is never come to a full stop until the brakes have cooled. The second is do not use your parking brake after the bedding and cool down. We want to avoid any possibility of pad transfer to the rotors.

Tags
camaro ss brake noise