Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 03-07-2016, 07:42 PM   #15
AZCamaroFan
Camaro6 2016-2018

Drives: sometimes
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSkooter View Post
She already contacted Brake Check corporate and it sounds like the most that's going to happen is the tech is going to get talked to. Slap on the wrist.

Not surprised, really, but I just cant believe it wouldn't be common sense to go ask the owner beforehand if it would be okay to take a photo. I mean, I would be more than somewhat upset if someone did that with my Blazer too, let alone my Camaro.

Just an odd experience...

And I wonder if it kind of adds to the whole "girls don't know anything about cars" stereotype. Maybe this tech thought she wouldn't be knowledgeable about why her car is supercharged just because she's female? Who knows...

what a weirdo. supposed to be doing a job and starts facebooking and taking pictures? !
AZCamaroFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 09:21 PM   #16
strykerg8gt

Drives: 2009 Pontiac G8 GT
I think she's got a legit reason for being upset. If it's out in public then expect pics to possibly be taken. But when you're paying for a service and they do something like this I'd consider it unprofessional. Unfortunately nothing much will come of it for the tech but this is the world we live in.
strykerg8gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 02:58 AM   #17
ssrs2lt

Drives: too many
Ehh on the pics, but posting on social media is toolish..
Old 03-08-2016, 03:28 AM   #18
CamaroDreams76
Tri-County Camaro SWFL

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS/1LE
She is overreacting. The thing I could see her being pissed about is that shop not backing a customers SIMPLE request.

Real car guys would take a picture of it and not be taking shit. So what if its "just a Saturn", a SRT-4 is just a Neon and just a dodge, an EVO is just a lancer and just a Mitsubishi by that mentality....... That dude isn't a car guy at all. There has been and still are Redlines and Cobalt SS around that will upset some bolt on V8s.

I love the redlines. My friend used to own a 2004 Ion redline with a bunch of stuff. it was around 280-300whp on the factory M62 supercharger. I know it ran a 2.7 pulley had a longtube header and catless down pipe into a 3in exhaust and was meth injected. Also had a bunch of stuff from ZZP.
Old 03-08-2016, 05:35 AM   #19
snarky
ultracrepidarianism

Drives: '14 1SS/RS/1LE/NPP '18 Accord Sport
the ION belongs in the ugly car hall of fame

Old 03-08-2016, 05:55 AM   #20
Denis

Drives: 2010 SS
I wish I had these problems....
Old 03-08-2016, 05:56 AM   #21
72MachOne99GT
Anthrax Popcorn User

Drives: 2013 GT500
I knew the answer was yes when he said "girl".
Quote:
...if you want to compare performance numbers, well, the GT500 retains it's title of the highest hp, worst performing car in the world.
72MachOne99GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 10:56 AM   #22
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
I'll agree that at first I thought she was overreacting.

But if you re-read the situation, she made a simple request to delete the photo because she had no idea what he took a photo of and the tech made no effort to talk to her about what he was doing or why. And the tech tells his boss he's only going to send the photo to a friend, but then posts it on social media? That's shady as hell.

Up until he posted the photo on social media, my girlfriend had absolutely no idea what he had taken a photo of. And let's be real here, her car is not at a car show and this isn't just some shmoe passing by. She has brought her car to a service business and is paying for a service, not for the employees to take photos of her car and generally add to the already long wait time she's already dealt with.

She even told me if he had bothered to ask her first about it, and treated her with any amount of respect as a customer (same goes for the manager behind the desk) then this entire thing would have been a complete non-issue. In fact, in her particular case, if he had bothered to ask if he could take a pic of her engine bay to post to a facebook page, she would have been totally cool with it and simply requested not to have the license plate posted, purely out of respect.

My girlfriend is decently knowledgeable about cars, and does the majority of the maintenance on her car on her own. She's not the kind of girl that fits into that stereotypical female roll of not knowing anything about cars and will buy a blinker fluid replacement service upcharge because the tech says she needs it. So, this tech could have honestly learned a thing or two directly from the owner of the car if he had bothered to show any amount of professionalism.

My VIN = 2G1FK1EJ9A9105017
Build Date: 04-23-2009 according to:
http://www.compnine.com/vid.php
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 11:10 AM   #23
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by strykerg8gt View Post
I think she's got a legit reason for being upset. If it's out in public then expect pics to possibly be taken. But when you're paying for a service and they do something like this I'd consider it unprofessional. Unfortunately nothing much will come of it for the tech but this is the world we live in.
I agree, but she is over-reacting!
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 11:17 AM   #24
arkentect

Drives: 2010 Camaro SGM 1LT M6
Hey! I used to have a Ion Redline! Loved that car!
Anyway I would tell your GF to take it as a compliment that he took a pic of the car, I've had people take pics of my Camaro while I'm driving down the road and at events. It happens
arkentect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 11:28 AM   #25
RaceFuel

Drives: A boring sedan
Overreacting

People take pictures in shops all the time and share them around the web.

Reddit has a sub-reddit devoted to it... R/justrolledintotheshop.

It's wasn't identifying, and there wouldn't have been an issue had she just let it roll off her back. But now, she's making it an issue.

Some problems aren't problems until people make them that way.
Old 03-08-2016, 12:12 PM   #26
BriteCrawler

Drives: 2014 ZL1
Overreaction.

It's really simple, complain with your wallet and don't go back. Let an Area or District manager know why, and you're done.
BriteCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 12:46 PM   #27
bpang1234
You can only YOLO once.

Drives: '16 2SS & '15 Subaru Forester
Quote:

But if you re-read the situation, she made a simple request to delete the photo because she had no idea what he took a photo of and the tech made no effort to talk to her about what he was doing or why. And the tech tells his boss he's only going to send the photo to a friend, but then posts it on social media? That's shady as hell.

Up until he posted the photo on social media, my girlfriend had absolutely no idea what he had taken a photo of. And let's be real here, her car is not at a car show and this isn't just some shmoe passing by. She has brought her car to a service business and is paying for a service, not for the employees to take photos of her car and generally add to the already long wait time she's already dealt with.

She even told me if he had bothered to ask her first about it, and treated her with any amount of respect as a customer (same goes for the manager behind the desk) then this entire thing would have been a complete non-issue. In fact, in her particular case, if he had bothered to ask if he could take a pic of her engine bay to post to a facebook page, she would have been totally cool with it and simply requested not to have the license plate posted, purely out of respect.

My girlfriend is decently knowledgeable about cars, and does the majority of the maintenance on her car on her own. She's not the kind of girl that fits into that stereotypical female roll of not knowing anything about cars and will buy a blinker fluid replacement service upcharge because the tech says she needs it. So, this tech could have honestly learned a thing or two directly from the owner of the car if he had bothered to show any amount of professionalism.
I see it basically this way as well. The engine bay is not open for everyone to see in the same way that your glove box or trunk isn't. As their customer you are giving them access to parts of your car that aren't open to the public. What if some tech opened your glove box and found you had a bottle of ass-cream or something like that, took a picture and posted it to social media? That would be an invasion of your privacy to your ass-cream usage.

Same thing as if you have someone valet'ing your car and they look around and take pictures.

The worst part is that the dude was shady as **** in the way you specified and really should've had the common courtesy to ask first. I don't think there is any legal recourse (though if you had a good enough lawyer they might find something) but you can certainly complain to their bosses. As an employer, I know that if something like this happened, I would have to have a stern talk to the tech about morality / ethics even if I couldn't legally write him up for it, he would now be on my radar.
-1st Car to have the "full" SEMA High Performance Graphics kit from 6LEDesigns.
-1st Car to have the 6LEDesigns Blade Spoiler.
-Borla S-Type w/ custom H-Pipe
-Procharger P-1X Stage 2
bpang1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 12:52 PM   #28
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:

This is the real answer folks.

The photo itself going up on social media is not a big deal. If she's somehow worried about the photo, then she's overreacting.

But the shop tech still being an ass, and not deleting the photo, and then also posting it online after having been requested not to do so is just wrong. Grow up, have some respect, and respect this lady's wishes for crying out loud. Then there's the d-bag that posted the comment about the car....a true d-bag comment.