Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 04-19-2017, 05:23 AM   #127
01pewterz28
#TeamBeckyD

Drives: 2017 HBM 2SS Convertible A8
Wow this sucks for the OP and this is yet another reason to carry Collector car insurance because of these situations. It's too late the for OP but for anyone else beware of Insurance (market value) and Collector car insurance (agreed value).

Do your homework I just purchased a 2017 2SS convertible with an agreed value of $54k for $725 a year, it's a peace of mind that I will get my full agreed value in the event something happens.

Good luck Op sounds like you will be taking your neighbor to court.
Old 04-19-2017, 07:57 AM   #128
Phrogpilot

Drives: Camaro ZL1
I agree that Emotional attachment has nothing to do to it but condition certainly plays a part and affects the value of the car. So does the fact it was a perfect car and now its wrecked. Plus there's more to this than just that. This car is part of my therapy and so far its been two weeks and they continue to deny me a like model within reason rental even though tis the law in Florida (I am asking for a Camaro SS or Mustang GT, not a Corvette or Ferrari, but they don't want to give me one of those because it will cost them extra in airport fees, and they don't pay airport fees...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ss-booya View Post
Emotional attachment != added market value.
Phrogpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 07:59 AM   #129
Phrogpilot

Wow, that is exactly what I should have done! I have 15% replacement assistance through USAA but that is only if its totaled. Plus I don't want to go through my ins and have my rates go up...

Thanks! this is a lesson learned for the next one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01pewterz28 View Post
Wow this sucks for the OP and this is yet another reason to carry Collector car insurance because of these situations. It's too late the for OP but for anyone else beware of Insurance (market value) and Collector car insurance (agreed value).

Do your homework I just purchased a 2017 2SS convertible with an agreed value of $54k for $725 a year, it's a peace of mind that I will get my full agreed value in the event something happens.

Good luck Op sounds like you will be taking your neighbor to court.
Old 04-19-2017, 08:02 AM   #130
Phrogpilot

And there in lies the difference. You bought your car to drive like a daily driver, I did not. I bought the car to be my forever car. No one that collects anything wants to keep their forever car after its been wrecked, esp when it wasn't you that wrecked it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ss-booya View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, wasnt the car was parked on the street? The street is not your property...

Also, I was in your predicament once before. Bought a new car, 2 months later a truck threw a piece of tread onto my bumper and across my hood. Ended up in 2500 in damage. Did I freak out? Yes. Did I worry about value? Yes. But once it was fixed it didn't matter anymore because I bought it to drive it. Why have the car if you're worried about market value? Drive it. That is what it was meant for. If you want an investment, a car is not a good choice.
Old 04-19-2017, 08:06 AM   #131
Phrogpilot

Tool? What are you even talking about? The $38k number was the Black book auction average of the last month (which means wholesale value), but a seasoned veteran car guy like yourself would know that, or at least read the thread before answering...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
You are quite the tool, that $38k was for a 2013 with less than 2k miles and that was the asking price and sold last Feburary. The problem you have, is you fell in love with the car and over payed on the price. If the car is still under a CPO warranty, you've had it less than a year. That makes it a 4 year old car you paid $45k for. In 2013 used 2012's were selling for $45k-$48k because folks got in over their heads.
Old 04-19-2017, 08:08 AM   #132
Phrogpilot

Exactly, all I was asking for was advice in handling the situation, not personal attacks at how stupid I am for actually caring about my car and not being ripped off in the situation. At least SOME people have actually been helpful and to them I say thanks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal ZL1 View Post
It is also why most of the original Zl1 posters for the most part, have moved on to other places. Drama has killed a lot of traffic on C5. Most of the time I only go over to the C6 detailing forum.
Old 04-19-2017, 08:17 AM   #133
Phrogpilot

Thanks for the insight, I'll check it out...

My problem with the insult thrower is that I have made it very clear the condition my car was in prior to the accident. He keeps asserting that he has 100's of years of car knowledge and my car is worth $30k (but he wont take that amount for his daily driver that sits out under the birds and Florida sun uncovered everyday...) and has yet to show ONE like condition example for $30K. I have shown at least one example of a sale that occurred during this thread for $45K and other numerous examples of cars offered like mine for $45k or more. He's just enjoying being a jerk at my expense during this very trying time for me. I have asked him numerous times to stop commenting and he refuses, just like he refuses to acknowledge the fact that he is wrong but that is not my problem, its his...

Thanks again for the help, that 15% number helps...

Quote:
Originally Posted by d454brisson View Post
Just because you do not like the answers being given does not mean the one giving them is a jerk or whatever label you want to use. Its great you don't agree, doesnt mean its going to bring up the value or help your fight with the insurance agency.

Unless you are practicing that fight here and if so, its not going well.

He gave a low number average market number, as the forum said and searchable KBB or edmunds the car is worth somewhere between 30-38k, thats a reasonable swing between good and excellent.

Google is your friend, I have had a diminished value claim with USAA against a 2012 GT500, pretty easy to do, basically the math is Aprox 15% of current "book" or "market" value, no more. So car worth 50K, 7.5- 8.5k check for the fact that the accident will show on a car fax and the car is worth less during trade. In my case they fixed the car at a Ford Dealership with all ford parts and ford warranties, paid deductibles, and cut a check for the value hit which was used immediately during the trade in for a 2014.
Old 04-19-2017, 08:17 AM   #134
Nor Cal ZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrogpilot View Post
Exactly, all I was asking for was advice in handling the situation, not personal attacks at how stupid I am for actually caring about my car and not being ripped off in the situation. At least SOME people have actually been helpful and to them I say thanks...
I hear ya, and hope you get it all sorted out. It can be made right, or even better than new at the right shop. Once done look up Haggerty or Grundy collector insurance. Usaa knows 0 about the market. I have been with them 28 years. They have changed and moved towards a corporate mindset. I would pull every car you value out and move it to a company that knows the collector, put and agreed value on it.
Nor Cal ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 08:21 AM   #135
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:
Wow, that is exactly what I should have done! I have 15% replacement assistance through USAA but that is only if its totaled. Plus I don't want to go through my ins and have my rates go up...

Thanks! this is a lesson learned for the next one!
In a previous post, I described what happened to me when an Allstate customer hit me. I wound up going through my insurance, I did have to pay the deductible, but when the arbitration was settled and we won, I got it back. It did not effect my rates at all.

Check you policy on rental coverage as well. Typically there is dollar per day amount. If you something better than what that, you can just pay the extra amount. I can't imagine that it will take more than a few days to fix your car.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 08:37 AM   #136
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Quote:
Tool? What are you even talking about? The $38k number was the Black book auction average of the last month (which means wholesale value), but a seasoned veteran car guy like yourself would know that, or at least read the thread before answering...
You have a bad habit of taking things out of context. I had mentioned about a 2013 with less than 2K miles that was for sale and sold back in February, that started with an asking price of $38K. I never mentioned anything about a Black book auction price, that was someone else.
Old 04-19-2017, 09:09 AM   #137
Shoe2ss

Drives: 2014 2ssrs
first off semper fi brother. I hate dealing with insurance, you will get the shaft almost every time. I think you where quoted a low price from ins. I haven't seen any 2012 zl1 low mileage for sale at that price. but I don't think any ins. will give you what you feel the car should get. sorry for your luck brother. but if you want a forever car to turn into a collector one day take what you can get and start over with a new one. or if you really like that specific car fix it.. numbers matching is all that will matter in 50 years anyway. as far as not driving it. (cover your eyes kids) not driving your car to keep it new is like not f####ng your wife to keep her fresh for the next guy.. good luck and I really hope this works out for you. swing with the wing brother VMGR252, 98 to 03 C130 flight mech.
Shoe2ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 09:28 AM   #138
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
IMO if the OP had paid $35K for his car, we wouldn't be having this conversation.
Old 04-19-2017, 09:50 AM   #139
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
when i worked at the restoration shop i saw many rough cars leave looking better than new.keep in mind factory paint is not normally wet sanded,buffed or extra clearcoat applied.as long as there is no frame damage you could view this as a chance to improve on what the factory did.just pick a good shop.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 10:28 AM   #140
SquawkVFR
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
I'm not saying you shouldn't be upset about the situation, but if you're going to track the car anyway why not just fix it and hit the track like a mad man and to hell with all that collectibility nonsense that probably isn't going to pan out anyway.
SquawkVFR is offline   Reply With Quote