Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

AWE Tuning

Old 05-05-2017, 07:27 PM   #1
honk3x

Drives: 2017 Red Hot 2SS Automatic
New Imperfections After Every Service

Not sure if this is the right section...

Is it just that I'm picky or is it because most people aren't careful or both?

Every time I leave my car with a business to have work done on it, it comes back with new light dings or scratches-- some type of small imperfection.

When I got my car's windows tinted it comes back with two nicks on the driver's door.

When I got my car's roof wrapped, it comes back with two or three light dings on the rear roof pillars, well above the normal area where car door dings are left.

Does anyone else run into this? Is anyone else this OCD? My car currently has less than 1000 miles on it and has been washed by me twice. There's no way I've done this to it on my own without knowing.

I feel ridiculous having to babysit grown men while they do their job on my car, but I'm beginning to think that's what it will take to not get damaged.

Last edited by honk3x; 05-05-2017 at 10:50 PM.
honk3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 07:29 PM   #2
Richard0nee

Drives: 2016 SS M6, NPP
I feel your pain, happens more than you think to others.

Half of the time tho, it's my own undoing when I change things whether it's new scratches, chipping in the plastic, etc.

Oh well, shit happens but nothing will ever be perfect so I just accept it.
Richard0nee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 07:46 PM   #3
Nor Cal ZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
You have to have someone with OCD do the work. You are not alone.99% of damages can be prevented by some simple awarness and planning. Not everyone has OCD, or knows enough about paint care to even know. Its really as simple as looking at a task and asking what can go wrong here, and how to prevent it. Even then things happen,and they should fess up to it. 100% percent of the time they did not forsee the mistake comming, so 0 provisions were taken..then later they hope you don't notice..that part is total BS. OCD a blessing, and a curse.
Nor Cal ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 07:54 PM   #4
honk3x

I choose establishments that have excellent reviews and it still happens.

I don't even know how anyone can ding up sheet metal while laying down vinyl on the roof.

Literally, the areas are so small they just barely bend reflected objects in the metal, but I know they're there now and it sucks.

Has anyone had dings fixed the roof rails/pillars. I know one is accessible from behind the interior panel. Not sure about the other two very small ones.
Old 05-05-2017, 08:20 PM   #5
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal ZL1 View Post
You have to have someone with OCD do the work. You are not alone.99% of damages can be prevented by some simple awarness and planning. Not everyone has OCD, or knows enough about paint care to even know. Its really as simple as looking at a task and asking what can go wrong here, and how to prevent it. Even then things happen,and they should fess up to it. 100% percent of the time they did not forsee the mistake comming, so 0 provisions were taken..then later they hope you don't notice..that part is total BS. OCD a blessing, and a curse.
Lol...that last line is so true! I love it sometimes and hate it others.

1100 Status - 7/24/15 (Ordered)
3800 Status - 10/13/15 (Built)
6000 Status - 12/22/15 (Delivered)
SSport16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 08:21 PM   #6
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
I hate having anyone do something for me, whether it is my cars, my home, etc., nobody does something like I do it.

1100 Status - 7/24/15 (Ordered)
3800 Status - 10/13/15 (Built)
6000 Status - 12/22/15 (Delivered)
SSport16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 10:05 PM   #7
Frank237

Drives: Kubota 2640, 83 BMW R-65, 2017 1 SS
I'm no paint expert but it seems if one looks sideways at our paint....there's a new scratch in the clear coat! I t seems to be VERY easy to scratch...yet these imperfections are also quite easy to remove. A few wipes with some wax or at worse some mild rubbing compound and they are gone.

I certainly feel your pain. WHY I service and clean my 1SS myself.
Frank237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 10:06 PM   #8
honk3x

I can do plenty of wrenching on my own, but unfortunately, there are a lot of things I can't do either.
Old 05-05-2017, 10:17 PM   #9
Lemooreace

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS, Black/Red
Is the car black? Mine is... find something new to piss me off every wash.
Lemooreace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 10:22 PM   #10
honk3x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemooreace View Post
Is the car black? Mine is... find something new to piss me off every wash.
Red hot.

What's funny is I had a z71 in between the Camaro and a 2013 Mustang Gt. I didn't care at all about what I did in the truck. I took it through rivers, brush, etc... Tons of scratches and dings from all that. These pony cars bring out the OCD. I go nuts with how my sports cars look.
Old 05-05-2017, 10:32 PM   #11
Nor Cal ZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSport16 View Post
Lol...that last line is so true! I love it sometimes and hate it others.
For sure it is a challenge. I had to settle for protect it and do the best I can. I love to drive so.I cant let it cripple my use of the car. That however does not stop me from trying to fix every blemish, or freak out should a fat scratch, or ding happen. I had a super super small curb rash once. At first that = new wheel, later I just used some of that bottled up OCD and fixed it myself. I have clear bra on the critical areas, a nd coated the others etc, past that if something happens I will just HAVE to respray that area.

Luckily I am the only one in the house with this issue, so I get to concentrate it with the cars and garage. Before I was married my cupboard was like a supermarket, and probably alphabetized, as well as the rest of my small world. I had to give up that stuff because they just don't care.......at all, not worth the time running around correcting stuff people don't pay mind to.
Nor Cal ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote