Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-07-2009, 12:34 PM   #57
StoutFiles

Drives: Black/Black 2SS/RS
Quote:
No one said that they're positively going to reproduce the same kit and setup in mass quantities for profit. Even if this ends up being a one-off car, the publicity and enhanced reputation their company would gain all over the internet and magazines might make the long term gains more than worth the $ they put into this one project. Not every project by a tuner is for mass sale and application. Many are undertaken simply to show the technical and mechanical expertise/ knowledge that the company is capable of.
I never said it wouldn't be a victory for the company itself, this is why they are doing it.

As for people making the claim of "a V6 Camaro beat the GT-R", well that's just false. It's basically a completely different car going against the GT-R. Also, if the costs to do this plus the Camaro are above the initial cost of the GT-R, then I don't see how they can say the Camaro wins. It's all about price ranges when you compare cars...any car can be made fast with enough money.
StoutFiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 12:40 PM   #58
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoutFiles View Post
I never said it wouldn't be a victory for the company itself, this is why they are doing it.

As for people making the claim of "a V6 Camaro beat the GT-R", well that's just false. It's basically a completely different car going against the GT-R. Also, if the costs to do this plus the Camaro are above the initial cost of the GT-R, then I don't see how they can say the Camaro wins. It's all about price ranges when you compare cars...any car can be made fast with enough money.
they're saying it'll be about 55K...

pretty good cost comparison... I'm not saying it's a guaranteed victory for the camaro, nor that they should settle for a loss. But, if they even get close for 55k, Man that would be cool to see.
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 12:56 PM   #59
Mod007

Drives: Camaro SS/RS
Good luck! It's not going to be easy the GT-R is a monster when it comes to handling. But I would love to see a Camaro beat it.
Old 08-07-2009, 01:04 PM   #60
Z/28orSs

Drives: 2000 ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusky View Post
As much as i love the camaro, ill throw in the towel on this one...

Euro/Jap cars just handle so much better. Sure you can get the V6 to put out as much power, but power isn't everything. Power is actually the last thing in my books. Suspension/Handling is what lowers lap times, not how easy you can spin the tires. For those thinking that im biased, I'm definitely not, I'm ordering a 2ss in January.

I will give them mad props if they actually pull it off though! I'm keeping my eye on this one.
thats why they cost more.... good luck and keep us posted cant wait to see camaro times!!!
Old 08-07-2009, 01:29 PM   #61
matt55

Drives: CTS-V
Hmm
ZR1's have 638 HP and weigh in at 3350lbs are a little faster than the GT-R at the ring .
And yall are going to take a 3700lbs , 304 hp car and take on the GT-R .
The Camaro would need 700hp to match the ZR1 LBS/HP ratio .

So you going to (pretty much) make a ZR1 out of a V6 Camaro and $30k .
Old 08-07-2009, 01:46 PM   #62
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt55 View Post
Hmm
ZR1's have 638 HP and weigh in at 3350lbs are a little faster than the GT-R at the ring .
And yall are going to take a 3700lbs , 304 hp car and take on the GT-R .
The Camaro would need 700hp to match the ZR1 LBS/HP ratio .

So you going to (pretty much) make a ZR1 out of a V6 Camaro and $30k .
Hey I'm not saying it isn't a tall order.

But what's wrong with aiming high?
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 02:21 PM   #63
Dinky Toy

Drives: 2LT/RS A6 CGM/IO Zaino
With $30K to spend I am sure it is doable when spent on the right components and have a stripped out car that will last a couple of hundred miles...!?

I am most excited about someone pushing the LLT engine to its limits, just wish they would do it in 2 or 3 stages:

(1) - stock car (engine, internals & drivetrain) with just a turbo set up reliable for daily driving and regular maintenance.
2 - max boost and lets see what this engine will stand up to and what the weak parts are including driveline. Which engine, internals or drivetrain part will go first and what second, third etcetera.
3 - replace the weak parts and see what the real limit is of the engine block and see if this is enough to beat the GT-R.

GO GO GO East Texas Muscle Cars for thinking outside the box (=no V8)!!
Dinky Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 03:38 PM   #64
optical
The Pilot

Drives: 1993 Chevy C1500 Ext Cab, 5.7L
Good luck to you guys! This will be very interesting to watch the development of your car. Like some others, I would be worried about handling but I bet you guys have done your research and have thought about that way in advance. C'mon american V6 Muscle!
Old 08-07-2009, 04:44 PM   #65
volboy23

Drives: an SS.....
Can't wait to see the results of this battle.
volboy23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 05:59 PM   #66
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
Quote:

Euro/Jap cars just handle so much better. Sure you can get the V6 to put out as much power, but power isn't everything. Power is actually the last thing in my books. Suspension/Handling is what lowers lap times, not how easy you can spin the tires. For those thinking that im biased, I'm definitely not, I'm ordering a 2ss in January.

I will give them mad props if they actually pull it off though! I'm keeping my eye on this one.
Wow someone is more than a little behind the times. What is the fastest FWD compact around the Nurburgring? Cobalt SS. Fastest sedan? Cadillac CTS-V. Obviously there will be suspension mods to go with the power. But just because in the past imports have in general handled better than American cars (though not necessarily on a case-by-case basis) you can't possibly say it is impossible to make an American car handle better than a Japanese one. That is just silly. And if you are going to out-handle the GT-R, the Camaro is a really structurally solid platform to build on.

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
shining at the end of every day
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
Just a dream away

Last edited by stovt001; 08-07-2009 at 06:32 PM.
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 07:18 PM   #67
Shadowsong

Drives: 2014 Mustang
No....really.... does anyone else hate the fact that they are planning on going the STS route, and not a proper setup?
Shadowsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 08:03 PM   #68
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
My money's in. I think we can beat that Nissan, it's highly overrated.

"Tops off, tach up baby- loud and proud!"
A Camaro lover from day one- 1996 3.8 V6 Camaro, to 1996 5.7 LT1 Camaro Z28, to the sold 2002 5.7 LS1 Camaro SS, and NOW, a [I]6.2 L99 VR 2SS/RS: XS Power stainless full exhaust, Airaid CAI, BMR drop springs and sways, custom tune by Cal Speed- 411rwhp
Revo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 08:07 PM   #69
jnewberr2ssrs

Drives: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS
Is this an actual after-race picture from when the turboed camaro ran over the gt-r and tore it to pieces to finish the race as the victor? hahahahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by King T View Post
Good questions.

Here's some cutaway pics of the GT-R. Didn't know it had a carbon fiber propshaft from the factory

Old 08-07-2009, 08:09 PM   #70
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:

You sounds like my aunt. "Imports are just better cars" etc. I know, they live forever too...

"Tops off, tach up baby- loud and proud!"
A Camaro lover from day one- 1996 3.8 V6 Camaro, to 1996 5.7 LT1 Camaro Z28, to the sold 2002 5.7 LS1 Camaro SS, and NOW, a [I]6.2 L99 VR 2SS/RS: XS Power stainless full exhaust, Airaid CAI, BMR drop springs and sways, custom tune by Cal Speed- 411rwhp
Revo1 is offline   Reply With Quote