Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-20-2009, 07:22 AM   #1
Hicompression
Rumbly Bumble Bee

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro
Thumbs up First Car I Haven't Wanted to Mod.

I've got to say, right out of the box, my 2SS 6-speed manual car is a real pleasure to drive. I've owned a lot of Mustangs and I've had the urge to mod them right away (even an '03 Cobra). However, with this new Camaro:

1) The shifter is smooth as butter (haven't missed a shift yet) and don't need the Hurst.
2) The horsepower is all there (100 hp up on the Mustang) and don't need a tune.
3) The handling is amazing (on rails) and don't need suspension upgrades.
4) The exhaust note is just perfect for me (light popping on decel and nice growl on accelleration) so don't need aftermarket.
5) The 20" wheels and tires are nicely styled so I don't need any custom jobbers.

Overall I'm one satisfied customer. There's a few quirks and bugs but overall, GM did an amazing job with this car. I can't speak for the V6 or even the 1SS models, but I'm leaving my 2SS alone.
Old 10-20-2009, 10:00 AM   #2
DangerZL1

Drives: 2023 Black ZL1 Auto
I commented to a friend of mine about this when we were looking at Camaros a few months ago. I told him everything on the car looks good the way it is including the absence of a lot of chrome, great-looking wheels, more hp/$ than the competition, etc. GM really did their research in designing this car and listening to the enthusiasts before bringing it to market, and the proof is in the numerous posts by satisfied owners.

I would probably want a tune and a cold air kit for the auto equipped model, but that is on the light side for mods.
DangerZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 10:07 AM   #3
trm0002
VIN #2G1FT1EW6A9100074

Drives: 2010 CAMARO 2SS/RS RJT VIN 00074
Send a message via AIM to trm0002
Hell, I was just happy it was the first car I didn't want to rip the stereo out of on the way home from the dealership. Not earth pounding, glass shattering but definitely adequate and a step way up from the Blaupunkt in the GTO I had or the Bose systems in my last couple Z28's.
Old 10-20-2009, 10:13 AM   #4
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
I'm doing some mods but not as many as I had planned before I got the car. I ordered mine sight-unseen, never driven one. When it arrived I was stunned at how beautiful it actually is in person. I'm now seriously scaling back what I had planned on doing because I like it so much just the way it is. For engine mods I'm doing CAI and catback exhaust and that's it at this point. I've already gotten my wheels and I'll do a Pedder's suspension kit, 2-piece lighter brake rotors, and I'm waiting on a carbon fiber driveshaft deal. And I don't think I'll do much more. I'm carefully trying ideas with Photoshop on pictures of my car to come up with a stripe scheme. I'm not doing anything huge or heavy; no rally stripes or hockey stripes. I want to make sure I don't mess up the beautiful looks this car already has.

I think this is the most exciting car GM has come up with since the original Camaro back in 1967.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 10:25 AM   #5
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
I agree, these 2010 2SSRS Camaros are absolutely awesome, I am so happy with mine, I do want to put a loud exhaust on next spring, but like you said these Camaros Rock, I think they are the best looking Camaros ever made.
2010 SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 10:54 AM   #6
Hicompression
Rumbly Bumble Bee

In addition...in the last two issues of Hot Rod magazine, they have tried several intake and exhaust mods. They only gained a few horsepower for each mod. They're really not worth the effort or money. They even did a cam change in the latest issue and it really didn't gain that much power.

The only two mods that make a significant amount of power that would be worthwhile are Nitrous and/or a Supercharger.
Old 10-20-2009, 11:04 AM   #7
Dakota Kid

Drives: 2010 2SS/RJT/L99
I agree totally. I am leaving my SS just the way she came into the world.
Old 10-20-2009, 11:07 AM   #8
Blue Demon

Drives: 2006 Corvette
Except for the exhaust comment I fully agree with you. We did put the Corsa cat back exhaust systema on ours and it now sounds really sweet. We'll be just doing appearance mods and a K&N air intake filter.
Blue Demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 01:04 PM   #9
SS4PK

Drives: 2010SS
Hicompression completely agree with you

Her Hot Rod.
SS4PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 01:17 PM   #10
TwoEcho
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS-Imperial Blue
Agrred on most points. I do wish it sounded more aggressive, but it doesn't bother me THAT much. I suppose I will do an exhaust eventually, but for now just some little appearance things to make her look like MY car and not just another Camaro...

TwoEcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 02:32 PM   #11
Hicompression
Rumbly Bumble Bee

Mufflers need break-in too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoEcho View Post
I do wish it sounded more aggressive, but it doesn't bother me THAT much. I suppose I will do an exhaust eventually...

What is unique (and cool at the same time) about the exhaust on the 2010 Camaro, is that it is a perforated "straight-through" (s-curve) pipe that is packed around it's length with mineral wool (similar to glass-packs). This "packing" will break down with time and the exhaust WILL get louder. I've personally noticed that my exhaust has gotten louder after the first 500 miles.
Old 10-20-2009, 02:51 PM   #12
subzero05
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 tbd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hicompression View Post
I've got to say, right out of the box, my 2SS 6-speed manual car is a real pleasure to drive. I've owned a lot of Mustangs and I've had the urge to mod them right away (even an '03 Cobra). However, with this new Camaro:

1) The shifter is smooth as butter (haven't missed a shift yet) and don't need the Hurst.
2) The horsepower is all there (100 hp up on the Mustang) and don't need a tune.
3) The handling is amazing (on rails) and don't need suspension upgrades.
4) The exhaust note is just perfect for me (light popping on decel and nice growl on accelleration) so don't need aftermarket.
5) The 20" wheels and tires are nicely styled so I don't need any custom jobbers.

Overall I'm one satisfied customer. There's a few quirks and bugs but overall, GM did an amazing job with this car. I can't speak for the V6 or even the 1SS models, but I'm leaving my 2SS alone.

well maybe..But, if you drove one with the mods mentioned above I have a hunch you would want some of them
subzero05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 02:58 PM   #13
Partick

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Only thing I disagree with is the stock shifter. It was clunky and I had some trouble getting into 3rd under load. Hurst short throw made a pretty big difference. R-F CAI gives it a nice throaty growl when you get on it and a little better acceleration. Thats probably all I'll do as its a pretty amazing car!!!!
Partick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 03:14 PM   #14
walmartworker

Drives: 1996 chevy lumina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hicompression View Post
In addition...in the last two issues of Hot Rod magazine, they have tried several intake and exhaust mods. They only gained a few horsepower for each mod. They're really not worth the effort or money. They even did a cam change in the latest issue and it really didn't gain that much power.

The only two mods that make a significant amount of power that would be worthwhile are Nitrous and/or a Supercharger.
hey can you post a link to the article if they have one i dont have a camaro but i need it to justice my reason not to mod a car like this to the...well not stupid but not as well informed as the people of camaro5.com are LOL

thanks!!
walmartworker is offline   Reply With Quote