Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 03:57 PM   #43
Georgianne

Drives: chevys
"30-35K? That aint the Camaro we were promised and how does that compare to the Mustang GT? Now, I'm not taking what you were told to seriously (no offense) because that would price the Camaro into luxury car territory."
Cubanaso, That is fully loaded, honey. Take a deep breath, Breathe deeper, feel better?
Old 02-04-2008, 04:06 PM   #44
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limeyness View Post
Its all going back to the same story! There is no independant confirmation. I will post what I think is one of the first serious mentions of Camaro and Hybrid. I asked a GM employee about the possibility of a Camaro Hybrid in the fall, using a setup similar to that of the Silverado and Yukon hibrids. He said "Well, that is the engine that we are thinking about using in the Camaro" or words to that effect. That was from October I think. Search for "Camaro Hybrid" on these boards and you should find it.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 02-04-2008, 04:07 PM   #45
Cubanaso
Follower of CHRIST!

Drives: 2005 Mazda RX8
Quote:
Cubanaso, That is fully loaded, honey. Take a deep breath, Breathe deeper, feel better?
LOL...stop freaking me out!!! LOL, I'm the resident "alarmist" here...LOL
Old 02-04-2008, 04:25 PM   #46
Cubanaso
Follower of CHRIST!

Quote:
http://blog.wired.com/cars/2008/02/camaro-enters-t.html

Another Hybrid camaro story
OK, let's go off on a speculation journey...

The 3.6L V6 makes 304HP which is great but I checked the fuel economy (new EPA #'s FYI which I personally don't like) and it states it should make 17-26mpg. If they use that engine in the Camaro (which, by the way is slightly more fuel efficient than the 263HP version) and stick a turbo on it it wont make sense considering the V8 get's almost identical fuel economy numbers.

Hybrid is another question, of course it would make it more fuel efficent but how much weight will it add?

So, I just don't get the talk about V6 engine when historically they really don't get that much better numbers than a V8...normally they just have the advantage in the city and of course less weight.

The evil here, is weight...weight....weight and while it might be cheaper to stick a smaller engine in cars I think they should also start cutting the fat from the cars which now a days have blown up (hence the GT500 weighs a 4000 freaken pounds).

So, per the article...just stick a hybrid on all your gas hogs as an option to get the goBment off your back and leave our muscle cars alone!
Old 02-04-2008, 04:31 PM   #47
Cubanaso
Follower of CHRIST!

Oh, and what happened to the diesel talk?
Old 02-04-2008, 05:09 PM   #48
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Ewe, a diesel Camaro?! I hope this isn't one the suprises Scott is talking about, LOL (j/k )

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
Old 02-04-2008, 05:31 PM   #49
MTron

Drives: 99 Grand Prix
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
The other option is to tack on the CAFE penalty ($5.50/0.1 mpg below) to the consumers. Adding an extra $500 will pay for being about 9 mpg below the average. Thats not pocket change, but it is less than the cost of a hybrid system, and gives a bigger 'boost' to economy. I know some of you will hate that but if its the differance between having and not having a V8 as an option I will take it
If i were at the dealers and they said i could have a 2010 camaro, with a 430 hp LS3 for under/about 30k, but i would have to pay an extra 500 for CAFE penalty's.....I would say "where do i sign!"
Old 02-04-2008, 05:32 PM   #50
Jak

Drives: 03 Dodge Dakota
A solar powered Camaro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
Ewe, a diesel Camaro?! I hope this isn't one the suprises Scott is talking about, LOL (j/k )
Old 02-04-2008, 06:45 PM   #51
edbrick

Drives: 2009 GXP -2007 MustangGT--Wife
The new 4.5 diesel has 300 hp and 500 foot puonds of tourque. Whats wrong with that?
Old 02-04-2008, 07:09 PM   #52
Cubanaso
Follower of CHRIST!

^Nothing, but I hope 325HP would be the least amount...LOL!

Quote:
If i were at the dealers and they said i could have a 2010 camaro, with a 430 hp LS3 for under/about 30k, but i would have to pay an extra 500 for CAFE penalty's.....I would say "where do i sign!"
That would be the best bang for the buck sports car out there, other than the Vette. With that said, I'd gladly settle for a Z28 version with 350HP coming in at Mustang GT prices.
Old 02-04-2008, 09:20 PM   #53
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
Disclaimer: I have not read the entire thread

Here's my take. This is obviously a fear story produced by a slow automotive news day. Think about it: The Mustang pretty much has its own platform, and it isn't priced near the Vette. The Challenger shares a platform with just the Charger and 300. So why would the Camaro be the only one to skyrocket in price just because a few models have supposedly been killed off? I say supposedly because while a FWD Impala has been confirmed, future RWD Buicks, Cadillacs, and Pontiacs have not been concretely confirmed or denied. As has been said repeatedly on this site, Zeta is a global platform, so killing off a few North American products doesn't mean it isn't going to be a pretty high volume platform. Now as far as a hybrid Camaro, well I could see a V8 hybrid coming close to the Vette in price. To absorb the cost impact hybrid variants tend to be packed with luxury goods and have a premium price charged. Don't worry people. Remember, the media doesn't get ratings if the news is always puppies and sunshine, so they'll stretch credibility to get a negative angle sometimes.

Peace.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:10 PM   #54
Scotsman
Auto Pilot

Drives: Gunmetal
First off, TCC (the originator of this "story" http://www.thecarconnection.com/blog/?p=759) isn't the most reliable automotive news source. If this came from Automotive News (semi-offical auto industry trade pub.) then I'd be concerned. Since it doesn't; nice "story".

Now if they want to stick a two-mode in an SS model, that's fine with me since it will probably be a top dollar model to begin with. Aside from that there are plenty ways to "spread" the costs around, Camaro and G8 aren't the only options. This article completely neglects that Zeta cars are currently sold all over the world, and with a few additional models from GMC, Holden, and Caddy, not to mention shrinking the platform for the Alpha cars; they've got all the savings and costs effeiciencies they need.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:29 PM   #55
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
This is why Settlemire said, "Keep the faith."
warn 145:159 ban
Old 02-05-2008, 12:13 AM   #56
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
Yeah you figure if a V8 Camaro starts at just under $30K (based on the Mustang GT, plus inflation, plus the price of just being better than the Mustang in every conceivable way), then you add the premium for the two-mode hybrid system (which even adjusted for cost reductions that come with time and technology improvements is mighty high) plus leather, nav, and all the other luxury/tech goodies that usually accompany hybrid packages to justify the markup, and you're easily looking at $40K or close to it. TCC is not that reliable. I trust Scott, and I trust Edmunds. We'll be OK.

Closed Thread