Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 05-22-2012, 11:28 PM   #1
LoPerformance Motorsports
Loperformance Motorsports

Drives: 2011 2LT
Backup/Reverse light bulbs

Anyone bought and replaced the backup/reverse light bulbs? I am reading that a 1156 or a 1157 bulb will work. Oracle make replacement housing with led/smd, but thought maybe any 1156 with led/smd's would work. Thoughts!!!
LoPerformance Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 11:56 PM   #2
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
nope.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 12:35 AM   #3

Ok, little more searching and came up with a number of 12184 and 7010. No such bulb anywhere!!!!
Old 05-23-2012, 07:16 AM   #4
2SSRS@Gen5diy

its a small bulb.
Old 05-23-2012, 08:54 AM   #5
FL1CK
Switchin' n Twitchin'

Drives: 2011 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoPerformance Motorsports View Post
Anyone bought and replaced the backup/reverse light bulbs? I am reading that a 1156 or a 1157 bulb will work. Oracle make replacement housing with led/smd, but thought maybe any 1156 with led/smd's would work. Thoughts!!!

Oracle's LEDs are out toward the opening, and magnified with the cover. If you just put a regular LED in there the light output will be lost in the housing as the light is not directed out of the reverse light hole in the rear fascia. You can see the results of the stock housing on the thread about Oracle's (AAC's) LED reverse lights. The same result will happen if you put an LED in the stock housing.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:37 AM   #6
2SSRS@Gen5diy

The OEM bulb has no Socket its one with the connector, But i am working on making one with a LED.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:42 PM   #7
RedRocketSS
BSHU

Drives: 2011 Red Jewel SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS View Post
The OEM bulb has no Socket its one with the connector, But i am working on making one with a LED.
hopefully not $200 to swap em out?
Old 05-24-2012, 08:19 AM   #8
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocketSS View Post
hopefully not $200 to swap em out?
takes all of 20 minutes

Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger View Post
Now, installing the reverse lights....challenging to say the least

Pic of the AAC high power reverse lights (tinted version)

AAC put some great instructions in with these things, very easy to follow. But I didn't actually get to install them tonight :( ran into a tiny tiny problem. Which I will get to in due time. Below are instructions on how to remove the rear bumper, not AAC's but it's the same thing really.

Removing the Torx screws is a little difficult to do without taking off the tire, but I found a solution, it's basically a Torx screw thing that I locked into place via a monkey wrench. It's really affective and doesn't need much room to use; which is perfect because I think you have all of 2" to work with behind the tire.

But yea so the part where I got stuck is the part where you have to pull off the rear bumper. After about 45 minutes of what I can only describe as giving it to Kaylee from behind I just gave up. Does anyone know if there are any screws that I'm missing that might not be on the above description? Or am I simply not pulling hard enough on the bumper?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger View Post
Not to ruin the end of the post, but SUCCESS

A few tips/things I want to mention here real quick. First, AAC gave great instructions, they just missed one tiny step that GM didn't even put into the instructions (see above images). You need to pull the quarter panels out BEFORE pulling the bumper backwards. See the pic

Once you get that all you have to do is pull. Gently, but firm at the same time. Also, having two people would make it A LOT easier, but it isn't necessary. When you finally undo the bumper it is going to make a sound like something VERY expensive just broke, don't worry: nothing broke. Why it makes that sound I don't know, but it nearly gave me a heart attack.

Pic of the back of the reverse light

OEM vs AAC: notice the tinted area on the OEM one, that is all the area that light can get out.

Close up of the AAC reverse lights. Mind you mine are tinted so they hide the dots a little better

With flash on

With the reverse lights on. Just ignore Kaylee, she's winking at me
Old 05-24-2012, 11:48 PM   #9
PLuche

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1LT manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by AACstyle View Post
please keep in mind we did not set out to build the cheapest reverse lights we could... we set out to build the best. We used the highest quality LEDs from CREE, we painstakingly tested the optics to optimize the light output, we computer designed the housings to ensure proper form and fit. If you want the cheapest parts for your Camaro using anything less than the best components sorry thats not what we do here.
Well this sucks becuase my broke college butt does not have the $ for such nice small but high quality parts ... otherwise they look great!! Good Job!
Old 05-25-2012, 12:32 AM   #10
RedRocketSS
BSHU

Drives: 2011 Red Jewel SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by AACstyle View Post
While you may scoff at the price of the reverse lights please keep in mind we did not set out to build the cheapest reverse lights we could... we set out to build the best. We used the highest quality LEDs from CREE, we painstakingly tested the optics to optimize the light output, we computer designed the housings to ensure proper form and fit. If you want the cheapest parts for your Camaro using anything less than the best components sorry thats not what we do here.

easy there, nobody said i wanted the CHEAPEST parts on my camaro and i never doubted the quality of AACs reverse lights. like the guy above me im a full time college student just looking for other options. god for bid.
Old 05-25-2012, 11:23 AM   #11

I did a search and found that the stock housing is 65+. So if AAC uses the stock housing and does there mod's, I can see why they are priced to this amount. I had no idea the stock units were this much!!!!!!!