Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-05-2010, 08:27 AM   #15
RedJewel2SS
12.23s@113mph

Drives: 2SS/RS, A6, just a few bolt ons
Quote:
Originally Posted by iom View Post
1. i do not drive my car because i dont go anywhere with out my family i guess im a family man & since they dont like it just because they are un-comfortible or what not we dont drive it.

2. i dont mean to be rude but i still got no detail answers just alot of different broad answers.

3.as of right now im gonna keep the hyper tech max energy so what is the proper way to tune it to get the gains hp claims ?

4.if im gonna buy the axle back b-atak system and then changes the cats & put on the x-pipe why do i need the buy a catback system ?

5.should i just remove the cats or get the high flow cats , im looking for gain more than sound.
a cat-back does not come with catalytic converters. it is the pipes that goes from the cats to the tips. buying a full cat-back first is the way to go performance wise. once you have the money, then you can buy just the headers and high flow cats, no need to buy a header kit with an x-pipe. plus an axle-back requires you to cut up your stock exhaust which a lot of people do not like to do, by buying a cat-back all you gotta do is unbolt the stock exhaust from the cat, lower the entire one piece system down, and slide it out. its a little more work but you save your stock system and you get rid of the restrictive mid pipes that an axle back can't get rid of.

with the hypertech, all you gotta do is plug it into the OBD-II port and load the tune, you don't need to adjust anything unless you've changed your wheels/tires. keep in mind that programmer will be useless once you get headers. you will need a dyno tune, or a custom mail order tune once you get the headers or else you'll get a check engine light. and i do not think the hypertech allows custom tune files like diablosport or sct programmers do.

your going to want to keep your cats, especially in california. but if you get long tube headers your already driving illegal over there since no header is CARB exempt. shorty headers and high flow cats is the best you can do to stay legal.

RIP Cammie 7/15/2009 - 4/1/2011
RedJewel2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 08:34 AM   #16
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
You can still be a family man and drive your Camaro without your family. They don't have to be with you 24/7. Everyone needs their OWN time. Take it out for a cruise by yourself and have some bonding time with your Camaro.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 10:40 AM   #17
sspaul

Drives: 2010 ss camaro, imperial blue
Send a message via AIM to sspaul Send a message via Yahoo to sspaul
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackinBlackSS/RS View Post
You can still be a family man and drive your Camaro without your family. They don't have to be with you 24/7. Everyone needs their OWN time. Take it out for a cruise by yourself and have some bonding time with your Camaro.
www.twitter.com/1djchampagne
mods: borla long tube headers, borla atak catback, lingenfelter gt-9 cam, ported heads, ecs base kit running 11 psi on top end, 1" bmr drop spring, aam 3.70 gears, ported throttle body, 160* thermorstat, lethal racing tune

750/641 rwhp/rwtq
sspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 12:32 PM   #18
iom

Drives: 2010 camaro iom ss rs
Thanks red jewel ,

You gave me a ton of good info that I did not know

But if I get an axle back system and put a x pipe down the road at a later time will that be considered a catback ?
iom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 12:37 PM   #19
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black w/IOM; 6M
Send a message via AIM to Michael_Js Send a message via MSN to Michael_Js
Ok, you mentioned, twice, that you don't drive the car, yet you are going to spend Thou$ands of $ modding it? Doesn't make sense to me - not that it needs to though...just curious
2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; ********; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Michael_Js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 12:40 PM   #20
2010SLVRBULIT

Drives: G5(LLT) & C6(LS3)
look at the bolt-on V8 section in this forum, plenty of info there to help you get started. But if you're not going to drive it, what's the point?
2010SLVRBULIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 12:41 PM   #21
RedJewel2SS
12.23s@113mph

Drives: 2SS/RS, A6, just a few bolt ons
Quote:
Thanks red jewel ,

You gave me a ton of good info that I did not know

But if I get an axle back system and put a x pipe down the road at a later time will that be considered a catback ?
depends on what x-pipe you are talking about.

you can buy the borla axle back then later down the road, call Borla and ask them to send you the mid pipes that contains the x-pipe. i don't think they sell them separately, and it is probably cheaper if you buy it all at once. the Atak exhaust isn't cheap! this would be the best scenario for doing it in different stages.

IMO if your installing an axle back, then going in and putting an x-pipe like the edelbrock x pipe, it will look like a hack job under there. think of it this way:
stock exhaust manifold connected to stock cats connected to about 2 ft of stock pipe connected to the x-pipe connected to another 2 ft of stock pipe connected to the axle back exhaust. chances are when you mix match after market parts, they are not going to want to line up properly giving you a headache because your having to chop up the stock system and use part of it to complete the exhaust.

also if you do that, say good bye to any chance of putting the stock system back on for any reason down the road... it would be in several pieces!

RIP Cammie 7/15/2009 - 4/1/2011
RedJewel2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 01:08 PM   #22
ChriSS84
Account Suspended

Drives: 2SS
retarded
ChriSS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 04:10 PM   #23
WheelmanSS
Logic is dead

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to WheelmanSS
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis View Post
Care to prove your opinion though? So you're saying that HT doesn't dyno test their tunes to make sure you're getting the gains? You're also implying that HT doesn't make their tunes safe for all situations? How can you get "safer" than that? If a shop is dyno tuning your car safer than the HT, they are leaving a LOT of HP on the table. If you actually read my post, you'd notice that that I said HT isn't for everyone. Many on this site want to have their car tuned for their specific mods and tuned for maximum HP/Tq. Many have more mods than the HT can properly adjust for to give maximum gains.

For the cost of your dyno tune, do you also get a 87 octane tune that is pretty damn close to the OEM tune, as far as performance? Can you easily switch back to the OEM tune, if needed?
None of the things claim I'm saying I actually said.... so please go back and reread.

1. I never said hyperjunk didn't dyno test any of their cars. I can't prove or disprove that, but it isn't relevant. A dyno tune done by a reputable tuner will provide you with dyno results for YOUR car in conditions for your area. This is more realistic and accurate than hypercrap slapping a dyno sheet on their box and saying, "HERE IS WHAT YOU'LL GAIN!". You know nothing about the car on that dyno sheet, they can say whatever they want.

2. I never said hypercrap wasn't safe. I said a dyno tune was just as safe AND provides better gains. A dyno tuner will target the optimum AFR for YOUR car in that situation. Hyperjunk is just using a generic program and applying it to all cars. So if your car even has one bolt on, it is already not suitable for that program.

3. Your comments about 87 tune are irrelevant. Who on earth would switch back and forth between 87 and 93/91? No dealer, car enthusiast, mechanic, or tuner would recommend that. The LS3 and the L99 are designed for higher grade fuel due to their compression ratio, end of discussion.
- Kooks Stepped Headers, Magnaflow 16580
- Suspension by Pfadt, Hotchkis.

2007 Trailblazer SS- Sold
2001 Trans Am WS6 431 RWHP 408 RWTQ - Sold
1994 Camaro Z28 - Sold
WheelmanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 08:16 PM   #24
Markel

Drives: 2010 L99 2SS/RS
Quote:
Ok guy's ,
Out of bordness i decided to start upgrading .

Please keep in mine im a slow kind of person and would like to take step by step.
I think out of "bordness" you are pulling our legs ....
Markel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 03:18 AM   #25
iom

1 the reason I want to spend 1000s for upgrades is simple , since I don't use my car as a Dailey driver I want to build it slowly because it's fun , then take it too the track twice a month.

2. I am not pulling anyones legs , I know a little as far as basics go but just wanted some better more detail info.

I called Borla and they said if I just order the axle back the only thing that I will be missing is the xpipe , with that said I can get a xpipe for 200 and have a Mix match cat back if you will, save like 400-500 and get to take my time in the mean while.

Witch is great because I can here the difference x pipe or no xpipe , I can see if there is better track times and what not.
Old 08-07-2010, 03:25 AM   #26
iom

Ok, here is another question , what will give you better gains no cats or solo high flow cats ?

And we are talking about a car with a catback system

And i don't care about the ca laws I have a friend that can take care of any probs i may get into.
Old 08-07-2010, 04:06 AM   #27
sspaul

Drives: 2010 ss camaro, imperial blue
Send a message via AIM to sspaul Send a message via Yahoo to sspaul
well no cats are gonna flow better than any type of cats.
www.twitter.com/1djchampagne
mods: borla long tube headers, borla atak catback, lingenfelter gt-9 cam, ported heads, ecs base kit running 11 psi on top end, 1" bmr drop spring, aam 3.70 gears, ported throttle body, 160* thermorstat, lethal racing tune

750/641 rwhp/rwtq
sspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 07:42 AM   #28
CamaroSS8491

Drives: 2010 SS/RS LS-3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickJRE View Post
Cold Air Kit
Long Tube Headers w/ High Flow Cats
Tune

This package typically makes 415RWHP on our Dyno. Best bang for the buck.

Sounds good even with the rest of the stock exhaust.
I agree.

I have this set up and I love it. People really dont give the stock exhaust the credit it deserves. Your going to get more HP gain from switching out long tube headers then you will by adding a catback.
CamaroSS8491 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bolt ons, camaro, hypertech, l99, performance