Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 04-28-2010, 08:44 AM   #1
Rookie13
Hooked on AutoX

Drives: 1SS/RS
Send a message via Yahoo to Rookie13
10,000 miles and going strong!!

Here's a little track-record of my 1SS/RS's wear-n-tear + Oil Change info.

First Oil Change: 1,037 miles
Second Oil Change: 4,387 miles
Third Oil Change: 9,938 miles (2200+ miles for C5Fest)

All done at the dealership, all done with Mobile-1 Syn. Is it just me, or does she really have a boost of energy after an Oil Change? Seriously, WOW!!

The key interesting factor is even after some hard starts, 3 Auto-X runs @C5Fest, and a rough Kansas Salt/Snow Season, my tires are at an even 5/32 tread-wear on all 4 corners. Surprised me quite a bit... (Running stock RS tires)

Anyone else have similar results or care to compare their 10K mile report?

Thanks,
Rookie13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 09:36 AM   #2
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
850 first oil change.
1500 second oil change
3000 third oil change
8500 fourth oil change
8500 new rear tires, P-Zeros toasted rubber
11500 5th oil change.

Has 15000 on her as off today and may go a bit longer for next oil change since they keep telling me my oil is still gold color after every change.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 12:31 AM   #3
2010 Bumblebee

Drives: Transformers Edition Camaro 2SS/RS
400m oil change
1700m oil change + diff change

2200m tires are still great.

Northern Massachusetts & Southern New Hampshire Camaro Club
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/group.php?groupid=127

The mother of all supercharger questions thread
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77958

My 2010 Camaro Review
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2025442#post2025442

2010 Transformer Edition Camaro L99 Auto
2010 Bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 01:15 AM   #4
Smokey&Bandit

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
6 Months 3777 Miles, Still Going Strong
1st oil change: Not yet, waiting for 4k miles to do change
Tires: Still look New & Exceeding performance expectations.
Smokey&Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 01:22 AM   #5
2SSmeCamaro
Delete this account

Drives: Delete this account
2400-first oil change. Motor/Tran/Rear diff
running strong!!
2SSmeCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 07:43 AM   #6
jehartley

Drives: Red LT1 & Silver LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott@Bjorn3D View Post
Has 15000 on her as off today and may go a bit longer for next oil change since they keep telling me my oil is still gold color after every change.
Be careful...oil color means nothing in regard to oil longevity. Do a UOA instead before deciding to extend the OCI.
jehartley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 08:12 AM   #7
Rcfiddy1
Sold car...

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2SS/RS #37115
12k miles
1st oil change at 500 miles
2nd oil change at 3k with rearend oil change
3rd oil change at 10k with rearend oil change
Car finally broke in at 10k.
ECS Novi 1500 Supercharged, LS3 conversion, Small blower cam, Alky Meth injection, 3:45 rear, BMR Suspension parts, 1LE Sways, Billy Boat ZL1 dual mode exhaust.
Rcfiddy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 05:51 AM   #8
hollywoodjose

Drives: 2010 Black 1LT
Had mine a year on the 13th of this month and as of today it's got 6300+ miles on it
first oil change was at 2450(it had been 3 months and I didn't know of the 500,1500 conspiracy lol)
second was a 4800(3 months later, right before I parked it for the winter)
third was at 5500ish and I changed the tranny and differential out too
rotated tires at 4800 when I had the oil changed
Old 05-20-2010, 08:35 AM   #9
LS3 SS

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey Camaro SS (LS3)
Excuse me if im too blunt, but :

This is a brand new vehicle, so is checking in at 10,000 miles really necessary? As most engines do not reach "break in" until 75,000 miles?? What are the chances that your engine isnt going to run "strong" at 10,000 miles, and you notice it?? I understand if you do a lot of high performance driving, but as long as you are checking draining and filling the fluids as directed, the car is meant to be driven as a performance car, correct?
Old 05-20-2010, 04:28 PM   #10
jehartley

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS3 SS View Post
As most engines do not reach "break in" until 75,000 miles??
Have anything to back this up? Engines are broken in well before 75,000 miles.
Old 05-20-2010, 05:41 PM   #11
LS3 SS

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey Camaro SS (LS3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jehartley View Post
Have anything to back this up? Engines are broken in well before 75,000 miles.
Americans are keeping their vehicles longer and driving farther than ever before. Today, the average age of vehicles on the road is greater than nine years and more than 68 percent of vehicles have more than 75,000 miles.
As a vehicle’s engine ages, its performance decreases and oil starts to break down at a faster rate. Over time, seals begin to deteriorate, gaskets become brittle and oil consumption increases — all leading to a reduction in engine performance.
Treating your high-mileage vehicle with a little TLC and consistently following the 10 rules for high-mileage vehicle maintenance will help ensure it will go the distance.

Why special oils can extend the life of your engine when it reaches 75,000 miles & beyond

Created by Steve Temple
When the odometer on your vehicle hits the 75,000-mile mark, it's time to start using a different type of motor oil. If you want to keep your car, truck or SUV running smoothly for another 75,000 miles and more, switching to special motor oil now can help slow the aging process and extend the performance of your older vehicle. Here are several reasons why.
Normal Wear and Tear

As your engine reaches 75,000 miles and more it begins to age, which requires some additional protection. Some indicators of engine wear and tear are increased oil consumption between oil changes, an engine that is slow to start on a cold morning or runs hotter on warmer days, a decrease in throttle response and gas mileage, and minor leaks. By taking a proactive approach toward your engine's maintenance, you can help inhibit its aging process and extend the life and efficiency of your automobile.
As a vehicle ages, and its mechanical performance decreases, a greater toll is taken on its engine's oil viscosity. The demands of an older engine break down the oil more quickly, rendering it less able to lubricate. The end result is an engine that no longer functions at its peak performance. Also, as the engine wears, oil consumption, oil leakage, or lower-cylinder compression may occur. These problems can lead to spark plug failure, excessive deposits and a loss of power.

Thats just from about 2 minutes of searching the web. Hence why I put "break in" inside quotation marks. Not specifing break in as making sure rings are seated and cylinders are grooved, but at 75,000 miles is "Normally" going to show what preventive maintenance you have done in the past 6 (less or more) years to ensure that the miles dont show the true performance of your engine's life. Now given, it does state "older" vehicle which would hint that they are talking about older designed engines. But at the end of the day, we are still talking about a traditional internal combustion engine. Which is the only reason I asked why people are putting up that their engine is running strong after 2,000 miles of driving. It is the same engine out of the base model C6 corvette correct?? which has been in production since late 04' 05' correct?? So the engine obviously has proven that it can handle a lot thrown at it way past 2,000 and 10,000 miles. Like I said, excuse me if im blunt, im not trying to stir the pot, just asking questions.
Old 05-20-2010, 06:51 PM   #12
jehartley

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS3 SS View Post
Americans are keeping their vehicles longer and driving farther than ever before. Today, the average age of vehicles on the road is greater than nine years and more than 68 percent of vehicles have more than 75,000 miles.
As a vehicle’s engine ages, its performance decreases and oil starts to break down at a faster rate. Over time, seals begin to deteriorate, gaskets become brittle and oil consumption increases — all leading to a reduction in engine performance.
Treating your high-mileage vehicle with a little TLC and consistently following the 10 rules for high-mileage vehicle maintenance will help ensure it will go the distance.

Why special oils can extend the life of your engine when it reaches 75,000 miles & beyond

Created by Steve Temple
When the odometer on your vehicle hits the 75,000-mile mark, it's time to start using a different type of motor oil. If you want to keep your car, truck or SUV running smoothly for another 75,000 miles and more, switching to special motor oil now can help slow the aging process and extend the performance of your older vehicle. Here are several reasons why.
Normal Wear and Tear

As your engine reaches 75,000 miles and more it begins to age, which requires some additional protection. Some indicators of engine wear and tear are increased oil consumption between oil changes, an engine that is slow to start on a cold morning or runs hotter on warmer days, a decrease in throttle response and gas mileage, and minor leaks. By taking a proactive approach toward your engine's maintenance, you can help inhibit its aging process and extend the life and efficiency of your automobile.
As a vehicle ages, and its mechanical performance decreases, a greater toll is taken on its engine's oil viscosity. The demands of an older engine break down the oil more quickly, rendering it less able to lubricate. The end result is an engine that no longer functions at its peak performance. Also, as the engine wears, oil consumption, oil leakage, or lower-cylinder compression may occur. These problems can lead to spark plug failure, excessive deposits and a loss of power.

Thats just from about 2 minutes of searching the web. Hence why I put "break in" inside quotation marks. Not specifing break in as making sure rings are seated and cylinders are grooved, but at 75,000 miles is "Normally" going to show what preventive maintenance you have done in the past 6 (less or more) years to ensure that the miles dont show the true performance of your engine's life. Now given, it does state "older" vehicle which would hint that they are talking about older designed engines. But at the end of the day, we are still talking about a traditional internal combustion engine. Which is the only reason I asked why people are putting up that their engine is running strong after 2,000 miles of driving. It is the same engine out of the base model C6 corvette correct?? which has been in production since late 04' 05' correct?? So the engine obviously has proven that it can handle a lot thrown at it way past 2,000 and 10,000 miles. Like I said, excuse me if im blunt, im not trying to stir the pot, just asking questions.
I understand you're just asking questions, but my point stands. No where does it say that a car is not broken in until 75,000 miles. It just states that they think you should use a different oil at that point. You have made a bad assumption based on this. A car does not take until 75,000 miles to break in. In addition, the guy is wrong...you don't need a different type of oil when a vehicle reaches the 75,000 mile threshold. Maybe for older engines, but not any engine that has been built in the last 10 years. That's just ridiculous.
Old 05-20-2010, 08:24 PM   #13
Sergeant Kai

Drives: 2010 2SS RS Black Stick
I am changing my original pirellis this weekend. I got 17,500 miles on them. They are great tires but you sure don't get that many miles on these.
Old 05-20-2010, 08:38 PM   #14
68/2010
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 2SS Rally Yellow
I think it's great to let everyone know your car is still running good. Not everyone has perfect cars. I myself have 11,500 on mine and things are great. Plus, this is the first yr. for these cars out.