Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 06-29-2011, 04:10 PM   #1
ClutchKargo

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS L99 RJT
DIY - ADM Scoop & Apex Washer Tank Installed with a CAI intake

Well I have waited until there was a good washer bottle replacement solution to install my ADM scoop so now I have finally installed my scoop using the Apex washer tank replacement kit.

It produced fantastic results!

I have to admit my biggest fear was cutting the plastic behind the grill for proper placement of the scoop. So here are some of my tips and pictures during my installation.

First of all as suggested by the folks at ADM I taped the plastic piece to be cut vertically at the edge of the reinforcements and then horizontally to the left using this as a guide to make the cuts straight. I did not however get a picture of the how I taped this onto the plastic. Sorry.

Here is a picture of the plastic after the cut:

And here is the piece that came out:

Here are a couple of suggestions for cutting this piece out. First I used a Dremel tool with a circular disk to make the vertical cut. Put the Dremel on its low speed setting, this will make it easier to guide the tool while you are cutting and it still has plenty of speed to cut through the plastic. You will have to use the round metal tip to make the horizontal cut because there is very limited room so I went with the round metal bit. It is more difficult to be careful making the cut straight so take your time and leave the tool on low.

Next you will need to cut off an eraser sized piece of plastic on the washer pump for it to fit properly into the new washer tank. This is described in good detail with your instructions you get with the APEX kit. I used the round metal tip on the Dremel as well and used the low setting again. Just start at the top and work down the piece until you get it worn down. This was very quick and easy.

Here is a picture of the circular blade, the metal blade (on the Dremel), and the washer pump after I removed the plastic piece:

Next I used a conical stone grinder bit on the Dremel to clean up the opening where the scoop will go, I placed the scoop into the hole and found I needed to take off about 1/16" to 1/8" more off the bottom so the scoop would fit in better and was snug when in place.

Here is the cleaned up opening:

Next is the installation of the washer bottle to the scoop. Place the washer bottle on the scoop far to the right and to the top to mark where to drill the holes for installation. Make sure you go as far to the right as possible because my washer bottle fit very snug up against the back of the DRL light on the inside of the bumper on final install it worked but could have been a little more to the right about a 1/2" more would have been just right.

Drill some small holes first:

Then your 5/16" final holes:

Here is the washer bottle installed on scoop with washer pump installed into the bottle.

The inside:

Next I took off the CAI housing to install the filler piece, I went on the outside of the housing and went ahead and attached the hose so I could route it when I reinstalled the housing which worked out very well. I routed the hose along the bottom and then back to the front there will be space of about 1" in the front that you can fit the hose through when you get the housing back in place.

Here is the housing with the filler installed:

Install the scoop with bolt supplied on the top that will go through the front side of the horn mount. Install the bottom bolt which is one of the original washer bottle bolts. Replace the hose on the bottom pump that goes to the wiper blades. Finally plug in the wiring harness to the pump.

Here is everything finished on the bottom side before I put the fender well back in place:

Fill the bottle and you are finished:

Three great products that work fantastic together!!

Clutch
Solo Mach XL CatBack w/ J Pipe - Texas Speed LT Headers - 3M Nano-Carbon Polyester Tint 20% - 3M Crystalline 90% Tint on Windshield - Azentek Smart Mirror w/Back up Camera - CAI Intake - ADM Scoop - APEX Washer Tank Kit - PowderPro Ported & Polished TB
ClutchKargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 06:02 PM   #2
WCoolBreeze
2SS

Drives: 2016 2SS, Red Garnet Tint
I also added the ADM Race Air Scoop on my install. The differences for my setup is that I installed the Roto-Far CAI and for the washer bottle I used Roto-Fabs Windshield Washer Relocation Kit. Very Happy with the setup. It is also Great that other Vendors are coming out with kits for Us to do these Mods on our cars. Your setup looks Great.

Walt B.

Gen6, 2016 Camaro 2SS, Red Garnet Tint (with Silver Rally Stripes)

Ordered: 2-12-2016
TPW: 3-7-2016
Built: 3-7-2016
VIN 1G1FH78G0157626
Delivered: 4-26-2016
WCoolBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 06:09 PM   #3
ClutchKargo

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCoolBreeze View Post
I also added the ADM Race Air Scoop on my install. The differences for my setup is that I installed the Roto-Far CAI and for the washer bottle I used Roto-Fabs Windshield Washer Relocation Kit. Very Happy with the setup. It is also Great that other Vendors are coming out with kits for Us to do these Mods on our cars. Your setup looks Great.

Walt B.
Thanks Walt,

Love that color BTW!!

Clutch
Solo Mach XL CatBack w/ J Pipe - Texas Speed LT Headers - 3M Nano-Carbon Polyester Tint 20% - 3M Crystalline 90% Tint on Windshield - Azentek Smart Mirror w/Back up Camera - CAI Intake - ADM Scoop - APEX Washer Tank Kit - PowderPro Ported & Polished TB
Old 06-29-2011, 08:33 PM   #4
gogadgetarms2
-Casey

Drives: '10 2SS/RS Black on Black
Do you think a hot knife would work well to cut the plastic? Seems difficult to maneuver the dremel in there...
gogadgetarms2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 08:44 PM   #5
ClutchKargo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogadgetarms2 View Post
Do you think a hot knife would work well to cut the plastic? Seems difficult to maneuver the dremel in there...
Not sure on the hot knife, but I have to say the Dremel was much easier than I expected.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:55 PM   #6
Apex Paul

Drives: Wagon Queen Family Truckster
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClutchKargo View Post
Not sure on the hot knife, but I have to say the Dremel was much easier than I expected.
I have only installed one of these myself, and I did just as you said; used the circular disc on the Dremel to cut the vertical, then used a metal bit to cut the horizontal.
Apex Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 02:54 PM   #7
metthem

Drives: 2011 LS
I want to thank you for posting this; it was a nice reference for my install.
On cutting the horizontal, I used the hand held wand attachment and the disc, I had to cut it at a slight angle (up to down) but it worked out fine. I think you could probably just use the standard dremel alone to do it like this but with a little more of an angle cut. I didn't have the type of bit you used, and I tried a few other bit like cutters but they wanted to jump around a lot.
Also, the new scoop I got from apex, already had the holes cut in for the washer bottle, so that made it even easier.
Anyway, thanks for the post.
metthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 09:45 PM   #8
lionssfan

Drives: 2010 2ss camaro
I'm going this way.....like this post. better setup with the washer bottle tucked away down low. so I can by all the stuff thru apex? dremel tool with cut off disk works great on plastic. Been fabing for years as a mechanic. then you can clean up the cut with a scotch brite pad and die grinder. I think I would install a black hose from the fill cap to the bottle it would look more oem stock looking IMOP. otherwise love the DIY thanks
lionssfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 09:48 PM   #9
lionssfan

I got a question is it noticable from the front of the car when you look at the lower grill does can you notice opening for the scoop? very noticalbe? any pics would help thanks
Old 10-14-2011, 06:49 AM   #10
E.T.

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionssfan View Post
I got a question is it noticable from the front of the car when you look at the lower grill does can you notice opening for the scoop? very noticalbe? any pics would help thanks
If you know what you're looking for, you can see it. I don't think it really stands out though. Here's a closeup of mine....
Attached Images

E.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 03:52 PM   #11
lionssfan

thanks for the pic.......yea it doesn't really look that noticable thanks
Old 02-25-2012, 02:48 PM   #12
Deeboe
Bowtie, FOR LIFE!!!!

Drives: Camaro 2SS/RS SW/IOM Interrior
installing mines today!! this os going to be a big help. any videos on the install?
2010 CGM SS/RS A6 (RIP)
one pissed SS right there!!!!
Deeboe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 06:50 AM   #13
Deeboe
Bowtie, FOR LIFE!!!!

Drives: Camaro 2SS/RS SW/IOM Interrior
Results:

Uhmmm yeah it is noticeable..wow!!!! The install was good and clean, the CAI just looks right down sexy as hell, CAI inc makes a good intake! it dresses up the engine nicely. I do have one complaint: The fasteners on the Lid are a pita to close, no lie it took a least 1 hour to get them all to close shheessshh lol! Sound has improved! and throttle response is smooth and shifts cleans. I recommend the Scoop WW kit and CAI to anyone.. got mines from Chase at APEX-great guy to to business with!
2010 CGM SS/RS A6 (RIP)
one pissed SS right there!!!!
Deeboe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 03:58 PM   #14
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeboe View Post
Results:

Uhmmm yeah it is noticeable..wow!!!! The install was good and clean, the CAI just looks right down sexy as hell, CAI inc makes a good intake! it dresses up the engine nicely. I do have one complaint: The fasteners on the Lid are a pita to close, no lie it took a least 1 hour to get them all to close shheessshh lol! Sound has improved! and throttle response is smooth and shifts cleans. I recommend the Scoop WW kit and CAI to anyone.. got mines from Chase at APEX-great guy to to business with!
Glad to hear we have another happy customer. Thank you for your business and your feedback. Bill at CAI Inc would probably be interested in talking to you about that lid.

Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote