Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-22-2009, 01:42 PM   #1
JoshJ81

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS/RS Black
Talking MBRP On my L99/A6

I finally got my MBRP exhaust installed. There were a lot of people worried if it would work on a L99/A6. I can tell you everything fits just fine. As far as the drone/buzz at low RPM when the AFM kicks in, it is there but not bad. You can definitely here the engine kick in and out of 4 and 8 cylinder mode. That is going to be something I'm going to talk with MBRP for a solution as this might annoy some out there. But by far, IMHO, does not take away from what this exhaust can do for your L99/A6. The sound is just awesome and it is the way GM should done it. I have a few pictures to give everyone an idea of what comes in this system and after pictures. Enjoy! One thing I want to point out in the videos, the videos do not do this exhaust justice. Its more impressive in person Great Job MBRP!

Install Notes:
It was not that this was hard to put on, just time consuming, really. An extra body would have been nice but that person might have just been in the way. I am going to have to go back under and do some "massaging" left bank back and twist the position of the XPipe to get everything lined up better. It's only a fraction of movement and nothing to worry about. I had issues with the Left Tip install. It's very hard to get to bolt to tighten it down. I suggest having a small 1/4 inch drive with a long extension. The rear diffuser is very fragile so be careful when removing the stock exhaust. Also all clamps for the piping on the stock and MBRP system are 15 mm DEEP Socket and the bolts for the tips are 17 mm.

Little George has been waiting for this day to, lol. MBRP should really think about putting the Camaro on the package and replace that horrible looking Mustang

Neatly packaged

Nice Cans!

Inlet View

Inlet View (a better look inside)

You can almost see all the way through the can if it weren't for the bend on the tip (exit)

Xpipe

Xpipe inside Left bank Detail

Xpipe inside right bank Detail

Beautiful Tips!

An upgrade in Size, Very nice!!!

One last look at the stock tip, you can see inside that the diameter is much smaller than the newer MBRP tips, very nice!!!

Here is a look at the fit check before getting ready to install.

Ok, got it in and its looking much better.

A look at the left bank

A look at the Right bank

And here is a 2 minute video of some various stuff that I know I wanted to see when I was hunting that new sound. Enjoy!

LOL After I removed the stock exhaust, I decided to have some fun

K&N Air Intake System
Muffler Delete
JoshJ81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 01:47 PM   #2
JoshJ81

Also, I've been doing a lot of "hard" driving and long distances. I'm happy to report that the plastic around the tips are NOT melting. So far so good.

K&N Air Intake System
Muffler Delete
Old 08-22-2009, 01:53 PM   #3
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
A Mustang on the front of that box?

Don't let your buddies see that.
Old 08-22-2009, 02:13 PM   #4
Russo
Unofficial Glass Tech

Drives: 2014 Ford F150 FX2
Send a message via Yahoo to Russo
awesome!!
Russo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 02:49 PM   #5
SGOS252382

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Exhaust looks nice.

And about the AFM.
I have the GMPP off road axle back and I also hear the AMF kick in and out (and I'm still running the resonators)
The stock L99 mufflers are different from the LS3 mufflers. I'm sure they were designed to eliminate the AFM noise. But they're quite restrictive in design.

I think the exhaust companies that are making catbacks for the L99 might want to look at ways to eliminate of decrease the noise from AFM.

I'm afraid of having a full exhaust (headers, high flow cats, and catback) while retaining the AMF cababilities. It would have to make some annoying sounds when the AFM cuts in and out.
SGOS252382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 03:09 PM   #6
PsyDoc

Drives: Soon-to-be 1st Gen
I have the Rhino Ramps that look similar to yours and the "warnings" imply that one should not have the car supported like you did with the ramps. What ramps do you have? I'd like to have that option to lift the car like that.
PsyDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 03:25 PM   #7
JoshJ81

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsyDoc View Post
I have the Rhino Ramps that look similar to yours and the "warnings" imply that one should not have the car supported like you did with the ramps. What ramps do you have? I'd like to have that option to lift the car like that.
LOL i think it was rhino as well. If your going to jack this car up and completely off the ground, I recommend a big floor jack that can lift from the middle of the car on the front and rear. The jack I used didn't not give me a warm fuzzy.

I'm going to be talking with MBRP on Monday as they requested, to let them know of my results. I'm thinking the long Xpipe section could use 2 small resonators just after of the X section. There is about 2 feet of piping that could be modified to house the resonators. There could be a problem with fitting it under there but I'm not sure how big the resonator would have to be. Again, I'll be in touch with MBRP Monday.

K&N Air Intake System
Muffler Delete
Old 08-22-2009, 04:29 PM   #8
SGOS252382

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshJ81 View Post
LOL i think it was rhino as well. If your going to jack this car up and completely off the ground, I recommend a big floor jack that can lift from the middle of the car on the front and rear. The jack I used didn't not give me a warm fuzzy.

I'm going to be talking with MBRP on Monday as they requested, to let them know of my results. I'm thinking the long Xpipe section could use 2 small resonators just after of the X section. There is about 2 feet of piping that could be modified to house the resonators. There could be a problem with fitting it under there but I'm not sure how big the resonator would have to be. Again, I'll be in touch with MBRP Monday.

Corsa made a Touring exhaust for the GTO's that had two resonators (one per side). The catback worked really well with long tubes.

I originally had the Corsa Sport Exhaust (Same exhaust as the Touring but without the resonators).But it was too loud when I added Long tubes. So I ordered the Touring conversion kit (which included a new section of pipe with one resonator per side). I was amazed by how much of a difference the resonators made.

I think a lot of the exhaust companies are going to have to do something like that for the L99s.
My guess is Corsa may already be working on it.
SGOS252382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 04:40 PM   #9
camarossrs2150

Drives: abm2ssrs
rust allready didnt even hit the street .
Old 08-22-2009, 09:39 PM   #10
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Can you feel an increase in power. Does it feel as though you got somewhere in the 20 - 30 hp range?
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 11:32 PM   #11
HtownSS

Drives: Silver 2SS, 68 Firebird 400,70 vett
Job well done, are you experincing any drone at crusing speeeds say 70-75mph between 1700-1900rmp or when the trainy goes into six gear (over drive)?
HtownSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 12:05 AM   #12
JoshJ81

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownSS View Post
Job well done, are you experincing any drone at crusing speeeds say 70-75mph between 1700-1900rmp or when the trainy goes into six gear (over drive)?
Thanks, and yes in that range after about 2 minutes going into 6th gear. However, it's not all the time. It's like the sound pulses have to "circle around" to get the right angle of attack before causing the drone/buzzing. Think of it as a Bee that buzzes around your head once every 5 minutes.... That's about the best way I can explain it LOL.

I can definitely feel the extra torque. You can see in my video's after the install, the car is being torqued a little harder than before. It's very strong off the line as well, I was able to spin off easier now.

I'm right at 3000 miles and about due for an oil change, so I'm hoping that and the new CAI will give me more. Oh and I use 93 octane. When I found out I should use 93 (after reading the manual ), I pulled the two ECM fuse to reset the computer and I could tell a difference.

K&N Air Intake System
Muffler Delete
Old 08-23-2009, 12:17 AM   #13
third1
speed freak

Drives: 2015i Cadillac Escalade,10 IOM 2ss
I want to order that exhaust before the sale is done.Let us know what you here from them or I can call Jeff myself. I'm waiting for the Kit that fits the GFX .
Current:2015i Cadilac Escalade,2016 Lexus RC350,2011 CVO StreetGlide cammed,tuned & loud. 2010 IMO/IO,custom stripes,GFX,sunrf,solo exhaust,JBA shorties,rotofab,Jannetty tune,Pfadt,JLw6 Audison&Hertz,7/4/09 2GIFKIEJ6A9123779Del 7/10/09
Former Camaros 72 LT1 Z28, 86 z28
[SIGPIC]
third1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 12:21 AM   #14
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
No resonator???

I heard that system on an LS3 w/ ARH... freaking sick... Good job with the pics... polished 3" system is sweet..