Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 06-14-2010, 09:05 AM   #1
firengnred

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS, 2006 2500 Silverado
Fuse necessary with LED lighting?

I'm going to be wiring up LED foot well lighting and was wondering if I had to use a fuse? I seem to recall reading on here somewhere that you don't need to with LED's but now I can't find it. Thanks for any help.

"Watch your thoughts, for they become words. Choose your words, for they become actions. Understand your actions, for they become habits. Study your habits, for they will become your character. Develop your character, for it becomes your destiny."
firengnred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 10:10 AM   #2
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Dont need a fuse. All you have to do is tap into the dome light wire underneather the steering wheel. I'm guessing here that you want it tied into the dome light. It's a real easy install. Short of it: Directly under the steering wheel is a bundle of wires, cut off the nice little wrap on it. T-tap connector to the grey wire (that's the dome light one) and then run it to your LEDs. If you pop of the side panels of the center console you'll find a bolt with some sort of color marker on it on each side. Those are your grounds.
Old 06-14-2010, 11:28 AM   #3
TonyNo

Drives: 2016 2SS, SW
I'd rather be safe than sorry. You never know if a wire may get pinched and short out the BCM output. They may be current-limited, but I'll use fuses until that is verified.
Old 06-14-2010, 11:31 AM   #4
skuttduck

Drives: 2010 RJT 2LT Camaro
Send a message via ICQ to skuttduck Send a message via AIM to skuttduck Send a message via Yahoo to skuttduck
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyNo View Post
I'd rather be safe than sorry. You never know if a wire may get pinched and short out the BCM output. They may be current-limited, but I'll use fuses until that is verified.
If this means anything or helps, I shorted out the ambient light circuit a couple of times. You have to turn the car off and back on for it to work again once you do that.
Old 06-15-2010, 09:06 PM   #5
firengnred

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS, 2006 2500 Silverado
Thanks. I'll play it safe.

"Watch your thoughts, for they become words. Choose your words, for they become actions. Understand your actions, for they become habits. Study your habits, for they will become your character. Develop your character, for it becomes your destiny."
firengnred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 09:33 AM   #6
wylde1
I am the Stig

Drives: Black w/ IOM stripe 1SS
LED's don't draw enough current to really do any damage to anything if it shorts out. They typically run about 20mA. So if you have 50 in a string you can draw up to 1 A. it'd be a pretty damn small fuse in there if you really wanted to protect it. That's why most don't bother.
Old 06-16-2010, 11:49 AM   #7
TonyNo

Drives: 2016 2SS, SW
I'm not worried about the LED's. It's the BCM that I want to protect.
Old 06-16-2010, 12:31 PM   #8
HeavyD

Drives: 1SSRS RY L99
I wired in an in-line mini fuse holder with a 2amp fuse. I put the fuse right after the body controller connector and before the "T" connection to the two LED strips. Same thing, just want to protect the factory hardware.
HeavyD is offline   Reply With Quote