Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-28-2009, 01:02 PM   #71
Muscle Master
SS Lightning

Drives: An SRT8
I feel as though Tran should take this off the main site, you don't want autoblog or other's to get a hold of this

Quote:
The first rule of modding something that's not American is to not try to compete with modded V8 cars that are American. Really, they can run insane power with little investment. It's not even a fair fight.
Camaro 2SS RS, IBM, White Rally Stripes, custom fuel door: Status: going to the dealer: soon
Muscle Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 01:09 PM   #72
Bruno

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumleb View Post
I've already realized I don't have enough pictures. I am going to take a million and post them as soon as I can. I'm trying to figure out how to put them in a thread. Do you have to have the pictures on a specific website, like photobucket, to post them?
When you're posting your message, click on "Management Attachments" at the bottom and it'll pop up a box where you can "browse" for the photos on your computer. Pick the ones you want and then click "upload" and it'll be inserted into your post.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 01:17 PM   #73
CommandoSS

Drives: 05 Chevy Avalanche, 67 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by FxsX24 View Post
so the battery below from a 91 syclone should not work when the truck was removed from the barn in 2008? the battery actually started the truck without any help

What year was the battery produced? That battery also lists that it's 770 CCA. Much more power than my 600 CCA battery had.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra View Post
Im from NJ and my battery is stock and 4 and half years. Im sure its coming to the end of its life cycle but I have never had an issue with ac delco batteries.
You're from the south...much warmer down there than it is up in the mountains in Sussex county during the winter.
Old 04-28-2009, 01:39 PM   #74
FxsX24

Drives: S10 283 V8,Jimmy 4wd 4dr bk/bk
that battery was the original battery in a 1991 gmc syclone, so it was produced in 1990-1991
FxsX24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 01:46 PM   #75
cobra

Drives: 69 Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by vladkgb View Post
Ill join the club. Starter would only be hot when you start the car and would not stay hot for very long, it would not be enough to burn through the wire, also friction between the starter and the cable would not be enough to burn through it either since the car has low mileage.

If this is a design flaw i really hope they do a recall soon, this can cause a serious crash.
Agree,
Highly suspect, most likely the cable was damaged or compromised in some manner during the install,

If there was not a fusible link between the batt and starter the only limiting factors would be the fault current (which is easily over a thousand amps) and the duration time until the battery drained.

Issues like this can lead to fires, I'm sure the factory is all over this, doubt it's design related, anyway could of given you your first excuse to use OnStar and like you said, make sure you tell them it's Decepticon related.
cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 01:50 PM   #76
CommandoSS

Drives: 05 Chevy Avalanche, 67 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by FxsX24 View Post
that battery was the original battery in a 1991 gmc syclone, so it was produced in 1990-1991
Probably different times for AC Delco from a quality perspective. I'm talking based on new batteries acquired between 2002 and 2005.
Old 04-28-2009, 03:15 PM   #77
Caliman93230

Drives: LS3S/C
wow a camaro in Hanford, to bad my first time seeing it was in the shop, however I had the opportunity to meet Bumleb and her family, awesome people.

I will post some pictures as soon as Bumleb sees this post and gives me permission to do so.

Nonetheless it seams the wires where touching the started got burnt and thus caused the car to shut down.

for example in this pic.
Attached Images

Old 04-28-2009, 03:55 PM   #78
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
I would love to see pics of the "damage".... something does seem a little strange. Gotta be damaged during install.
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 04:18 PM   #79
Morepwr
woohoo

Drives: Silverado, 70cutlass, 57chevy&more
Well hopefully its not a routing problem and starts showing up on a bunch of them.
Old 04-28-2009, 04:25 PM   #80
greenrail
Comic Curmudgeon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS-2010 VW CC Sport
Goodness sakes. I am sitting here shaking my head that people are obsessing over 24 miles on a car at delivery.

Good Lord, that is unblievable. If my dealer puts 50 miles on my car and everything works right when I take delivery, it is not an issue for me. Maybe I am not as out there as some. But this seems a bit over the top.

But then again, I put over 30k miles on my Grand Prix every year.
greenrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 05:46 PM   #81
hotdon

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2012 Durango
I'm glad to hear your baby will be ok. I'm sure you put alot of minds at ease since it wasn't anything major. Thanks for sharing your experience
hotdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 05:57 PM   #82
69er

Drives: 69 Z/28 , 83 Z/28 (L69), 10 2SS CGM
I believe like shnomac77 said, the cable was damaged during installation, or there was actual melting of the insulation.

For the cable to simply wear in this short amount of time, it would have had to been in a major pinching situation. I don't see how even excessive vibration could have done the damage in such a short amount of time.

Also, what about the key not being able to be removed without power? What's the purpose of that design?
69er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 06:18 PM   #83
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69-er View Post
I believe like shnomac77 said, the cable was damaged during installation, or there was actual melting of the insulation.

For the cable to simply wear in this short amount of time, it would have had to been in a major pinching situation. I don't see how even excessive vibration could have done the damage in such a short amount of time.

Also, what about the key not being able to be removed without power? What's the purpose of that design?
loss of power is not the reason for not being able to remove the key but a result of loss of power to the interlock after the car has been started. My HHR had the interlock switch on the transmission to go out and I could not remove the key as a result. the same thing occures if you were to remove the battery cable after the key was turned to the run position, when you turn you cannot remove it... In an Automatic transmission car The interlock prevents Key removal until the car is in the Park position and the ignition is off..
Instead of doing it Mechanically like in the old days with Column Shift, it is done with solinoids and relays now...
Old 04-28-2009, 07:00 PM   #84
Nostromo

Drives: '11 DTS, '11 Yuk' Denali
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbody ss View Post
Easy fix and glad it wasnt nothing major, probaly a lazy factory worker.
Likely a harried assembler, with 8 pairs of management eyes boring a hole through his/her skull, as they were trying to route a 14 foot long battery cable through spaces offering near-zero clearance.

"Lazy". What a dumb-ass comment.
You have no idea how dumb.
Nostromo is offline   Reply With Quote