Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 10-20-2008, 02:01 PM   #43
BowtieGuy
Enlightened

Drives: Nothing Currently
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZcamaro View Post
If I am not mistaken....isn't you rbeloved roots style blower also causing parasitic drag by being belt driven?
Yes it does, but that loss can be as low as one horsepower with todays super efficient twin screw designs. The centrifugal is just the least ergonomic of the three, since it actually combines the downsides of both of the other two. Any serious drag racer would use either roots or turbo.

People have to talk about something just to keep their voice boxes in working order. So they'll have good voice boxes in case there's ever anything really meaningful to say.
Kurt Vonnegut
BowtieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 02:18 PM   #44
Wm Holden
Yes, that's my real name.

Drives: 2005 LS2 600hp GTO
This is the APS twin turbo system against the maggie...

do you race 0-90 or 40 to 140?

800hp vs 600hp...but who wins the 8th?

Wm vs LoBoost

same race different angle
Magnuson 112HH supercharger at 7.5 psi (Virtual 9.0 liter) 600hp 1 of 2 torrid/red int /A4/05 555r 275/40/R17's Nitto Extreme Drags 1.7 60 ft Car runs high 11's No other mods. I got the first 112HH Magnuson blower ported for a GTO. Now it appears it was also one of the last....

http://www.ribbonprinting.com http://www.personalizedawarenessribbons.com
Wm Holden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 02:45 PM   #45
The_Stache
SoCal Race Team #13

Drives: 2010 1SS:RS:LS3:SW
Personnally I like whipples...(oops Im giving myself away..) Lower intake temps = better reliability in the engine bay..

Oh and screws/roots have gone WAY down on the parasitic loss through new tech over the last 10 years.. I believe the new 3.7L whipple is down to 5HP / 10lbs of boost...

I will always say this though... its the same with audio systems.. it ALL depends on what type of racing your doing (or music your listening to). A well built purpose system will ALWAYS outperform a well built system of any other type.
Old 10-20-2008, 09:20 PM   #46
ZZcamaro

Drives: 2SS w/ ZZ427 Package!!
Thank you.....
It all depends on the type of driving you want this for, and the build of the system.
If you have a crappy built system why waste your money.

I am still looking to get in touch with Magnuson, they are terrible in getting in touch with a new prospective dealer like myself...I am going ot try again...
The maggie would be easy to work with since we could develop our own package around it!!
Procharger is interested, and I know a company who builds custom turbo kits whom is interested...
Will keep you all posted. Just PM me if you are interested.
ZZcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 11:34 PM   #47
JiXeR'z DoDgE/FoRd KiLLeR
SSiCk MeMbEr!!!

Drives: HeAviLy MoDDeD 2010 SS CaMaRo!
Quote:
Originally Posted by diarmadhi View Post
Personnally I like whipples...(oops Im giving myself away..) Lower intake temps = better reliability in the engine bay..

Oh and screws/roots have gone WAY down on the parasitic loss through new tech over the last 10 years.. I believe the new 3.7L whipple is down to 5HP / 10lbs of boost...

I will always say this though... its the same with audio systems.. it ALL depends on what type of racing your doing (or music your listening to). A well built purpose system will ALWAYS outperform a well built system of any other type.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZcamaro View Post
Thank you.....
It all depends on the type of driving you want this for, and the build of the system.
If you have a crappy built system why waste your money.

I am still looking to get in touch with Magnuson, they are terrible in getting in touch with a new prospective dealer like myself...I am going ot try again...
The maggie would be easy to work with since we could develop our own package around it!!
Procharger is interested, and I know a company who builds custom turbo kits whom is interested...
Will keep you all posted. Just PM me if you are interested.
Just as I said earlier Guys. Either way...I'm really leaning towards a procharger since I'll be driving my Camaro 4-5 days a week. IMO they're more streetable than roots/twin screws.
JiXeR'z DoDgE/FoRd KiLLeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 11:38 PM   #48
JiXeR'z DoDgE/FoRd KiLLeR
SSiCk MeMbEr!!!

Drives: HeAviLy MoDDeD 2010 SS CaMaRo!
If not ProCharger then I'll be getting a Magnuson. But I'm gonna get my internals upgraded before forced induction
JiXeR'z DoDgE/FoRd KiLLeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 08:30 PM   #49
BowtieGuy
Enlightened

Drives: Nothing Currently
Quote:
Originally Posted by JiXeR'z DoDgE/FoRd KiLLeR View Post
If not ProCharger then I'll be getting a Magnuson. But I'm gonna get my internals upgraded before forced induction
Good call. Can never be too safe with this kind of investment.

People have to talk about something just to keep their voice boxes in working order. So they'll have good voice boxes in case there's ever anything really meaningful to say.
Kurt Vonnegut
BowtieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 06:14 PM   #50
Robin Lawrence

Drives: 2010 Camaro 69 Nova
Harrop has a TVS 2300 for the LS3. It's not Camaro Specific but I am going to make it work.
They already have kits for the smaller blowers in the G8. Since the G8 and Camaro are both ZETA platforms it would be interesting to see how similar the setup.

Robin

Robin Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 06:29 PM   #51
Wm Holden
Yes, that's my real name.

Drives: 2005 LS2 600hp GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by JiXeR'z DoDgE/FoRd KiLLeR View Post
Just as I said earlier Guys. Either way...I'm really leaning towards a procharger since I'll be driving my Camaro 4-5 days a week. IMO they're more streetable than roots/twin screws.
ok...edumacate me plz.....I don't get the enlarged part of the statement...
because frankly...that's backwards.

Magnuson 112HH supercharger at 7.5 psi (Virtual 9.0 liter) 600hp 1 of 2 torrid/red int /A4/05 555r 275/40/R17's Nitto Extreme Drags 1.7 60 ft Car runs high 11's No other mods. I got the first 112HH Magnuson blower ported for a GTO. Now it appears it was also one of the last....

http://www.ribbonprinting.com http://www.personalizedawarenessribbons.com
Wm Holden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 09:58 PM   #52
Rekt

Drives: Z34 370Z
Just a quick question for you all:

Does anybody think Whipple will make a twin screw blower for the Camaro? I don't want a roots blower like the Maggy because they are not nearly as efficient. If not, then its going to be turbo or a centri.
Rekt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 11:48 PM   #53
Matrix

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS/RS & Magnum R/T
Wudnt a turbo be better HP gain than a SC? I though SC suck about 35% poer and prolly give out 40% back. ie a small overall gain. Please correct me if Im wrong. Wudnt $$ be better spent on a turbo which would give better gains/$???
Old 10-24-2008, 01:31 AM   #54
headpunter
Not That sad..considering

Drives: Man
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekt View Post
Just a quick question for you all:

Does anybody think Whipple will make a twin screw blower for the Camaro? I don't want a roots blower like the Maggy because they are not nearly as efficient. If not, then its going to be turbo or a centri.
the TVS maggie's will sink a whipple hands down.
Old 10-24-2008, 08:59 AM   #55
Robin Lawrence

Drives: 2010 Camaro 69 Nova
I am going to stuff this one in mine at some point.

Robin

Robin Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 09:49 AM   #56
Rekt

Drives: Z34 370Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by headpunter View Post
the TVS maggie's will sink a whipple hands down.
But I thought they were still a roots blower, and not a true twin screw?
Rekt is offline   Reply With Quote