Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 04-16-2007, 01:11 AM   #1
KILLER74Z28
MOD SQUAD

Drives: 2G1FT1EW9A9100666
Having Prius may pay

Having Prius may pay
April 15, 2007

A California state legislator has proposed what is being dubbed a Robin Hood approach to fighting global warming.

Under the plan, buyers of fuel-inefficient vehicles, such as the Hummer H2 and Ford Expedition, would pay a tax of $100 to $2,500. The state would then give similar amounts to owners of fuel-efficient cars, such as the Toyota Prius and Ford Focus.

Under the proposal, the state Air Resources Board each year, starting with 2011 models, would rank new car models by the pounds of carbon dioxide and other gases they emit that trap heat in the atmosphere, according to the San Jose Mercury News. About 25% of vehicles would not qualify for payments.

The bill introduced by Assemblyman Ira Ruskin has passed one state committee and has picked up support of an influential business organization, the tech-heavy Silicon Valley Leadership Group.

Not surprisingly, California car dealers oppose the measure, saying it unfairly targets large families, farmers and ranchers who drive trucks and SUVs.
KILLER74Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 04:43 AM   #2
Rock36
I just like V8s

Drives: 2007 Corvette Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLER74Z28 View Post
Not surprisingly, California car dealers oppose the measure, saying it unfairly targets large families, farmers and ranchers who drive trucks and SUVs.
I'm all for a clean environment, but this statement is very true and shouldn't be ignored. Perhaps farmers and ranchers can get some type of waiver?

2007 Corvette Z06: Le Mans blue, 2LZ

Rock36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 05:39 AM   #3
Moosen75

Drives: Junk til 2008
Send a message via AIM to Moosen75
well its not just ranchers and farmers. some people just need trucks, its that simple. some people need to realize this, you can't make a contractor drive a scion. but it seems like thats what the government is trying to do to us sometimes.
Moosen75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 08:08 AM   #4
Casull

Drives: Chevy Silverado
Yet another reason why I am glad I do not live in California
Casull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 10:01 AM   #5
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Usually California has good Automotive legislation, this is not one of the smarter moves. It's like, On top of giving the Foreigners tax breaks, we're going to encourage you to buy from them too!!!