Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 04-27-2012, 07:41 PM   #1
sbik21

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1LT RS
Got a bottle of touch up paint from my dealer but have a question

I went to my dealer to get some touch up paint for my 2011 Summit White. The bottle has a code of 12345116 and the label shows the color to be white.

I opened the bottle and got some paint on its brush, but the paint is silver/greyish. Does the color turn white when dried?

sorry if I posted in the wrong section, I searched on the site and saw some of the paint questions were in the General Discussion.

Last edited by sbik21; 04-28-2012 at 03:30 AM.
sbik21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 07:42 PM   #2
kjkjr27
COTW 9/16/13

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS Camaro IOM
Try it on a piece of plastic or something you dont care about first
Old 04-27-2012, 07:44 PM   #3
awfarley

Drives: 2011 5.7L Tundra Double-Cab X-SP
Better yet, I'd pop the hood and try it near a non-visible side of your strut tower. Exact paint thats on the exterior.
awfarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 07:45 PM   #4
RADAR

Drives: 2012 2SSRS/M6 SIM
Did you shake it up good? Simple... I know... I had to ask..
RADAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 08:01 PM   #5
sbik21

Quote:
Originally Posted by awfarley View Post
Better yet, I'd pop the hood and try it near a non-visible side of your strut tower. Exact paint thats on the exterior.
Okay that's what I did. Went on grey. But I'll check it out in a bit.
Old 04-27-2012, 08:07 PM   #6
camaroimpalabob

Drives: 45th 2ss
Unless the scratch is real bad don't bother with. Touch up paint usually looks worse than a scratch
camaroimpalabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 08:09 PM   #7
awfarley

Yeah this lady where I worked failed to do that, and wound up giving herself the ugliest purple stripe on a pretty blue Honda lol

The reason those touch-up tubes discolor is when they aren't climate controlled in shipping to the dealerships. We've got several orders that came in like that and the customers got VERY upset because they didn't try it out. It was winter and my guess was the cold air did something to the paint.
Old 04-27-2012, 08:09 PM   #8
angie7
Smoked by a GIRL

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Nope it should be white. I just got some a month ago and its was bright white right outta the bottle. Take it back.
Old 04-27-2012, 08:18 PM   #9
sbik21

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroimpalabob View Post
Unless the scratch is real bad don't bother with. Touch up paint usually looks worse than a scratch
There's a couple one inch scratches on the front bumper from people backing into it at the college I go to and then they always drive off.

Quote:
Yeah this lady where I worked failed to do that, and wound up giving herself the ugliest purple stripe on a pretty blue Honda lol

The reason those touch-up tubes discolor is when they aren't climate controlled in shipping to the dealerships. We've got several orders that came in like that and the customers got VERY upset because they didn't try it out. It was winter and my guess was the cold air did something to the paint.
Seems feasible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by angie7 View Post
Nope it should be white. I just got some a month ago and its was bright white right outta the bottle. Take it back.
Thanks will do, even though my dealer had that paint ordered and it took 5 days to get it.
I figured it should be bright white like the label is on the bottle, good thing I didn't apply it.
Old 04-27-2012, 08:24 PM   #10
angie7
Smoked by a GIRL

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbik21 View Post
Thanks will do, even though my dealer had that paint ordered and it took 5 days to get it.
I figured it should be bright white like the label is on the bottle, good thing I didn't apply it.
When you take it back, specifically ask for Summit White. This is gonna sound weird but GM says that the Camaro came in Summit White/Olympic White. They claim these are the same color with the same name but they are wrong! Olympic white is yellowish compared to SW so just make sure you specify to save you more trouble. ive had this issue with them b4.
Old 04-27-2012, 08:28 PM   #11
Interlux

Drives: 2012 2LT/RS - SW/IOM
Quote:

Temperature does absolutely nothing to the paint - unless you get to extremes like -20 or over 150. Being 'cold' does nothing to color - it will only make the paint thicker until warmed up.

It was probably never the right color if it isn't now - especially with a white - white will never get darker only more yellow.

If it didn't appear the same color after testing it take it back and ask for a fresh one - open it up and try it on something like several others have said.

Source of knowledge: Profession - Paint Formulation Chemist for SuperYachts and Car Refinishes
Interlux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 08:33 PM   #12
awfarley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlux View Post
Temperature does absolutely nothing to the paint - unless you get to extremes like -20 or over 150. Being 'cold' does nothing to color - it will only make the paint thicker until warmed up.

It was probably never the right color if it isn't now - especially with a white - white will never get darker only more yellow.

If it didn't appear the same color after testing it take it back and ask for a fresh one - open it up and try it on something like several others have said.

Source of knowledge: Profession - Paint Formulation Chemist for SuperYachts and Car Refinishes
Thanks for the correction

I was going by what my boss was telling me. But he's no chemist...

Either way the paint was wrong.
Old 04-27-2012, 08:36 PM   #13
Sandor
Chevrolet Performance

Drives: Camaro Chroma
If it is genuine GM touchup paint, the code on the bottle with be 50, or WA 8624. It will be described as "Olympic White" but that will be the correct code for your Summit White Camaro.
Sandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 08:45 PM   #14
Interlux

Drives: 2012 2LT/RS - SW/IOM
Quote:
Thanks for the correction

I was going by what my boss was telling me. But he's no chemist...

Either way the paint was wrong.
Ha no biggie - I can understand why people think temperature is a big deal. But it's not food - it doesn't spoil.

Paint was wrong
Interlux is offline   Reply With Quote