Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 09-04-2012, 08:16 AM   #15
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
I've read that switching to the 2300 isn't worth the hassle. I haven't learned why, exactly, but I think it would definitely be interesting to see this swap. I like it for the stealth factor. It seems the blower snout is among the biggest obsticle. I honestly think LSA would be making pretty close to the GT500 with less boost, but not much. It'd be interesting to see someone do this. It seems like a pretty expensive project, compared to a Maggy or Whipple though...

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // TooHighPSI Port Injection // FF // Katech Dual In-Tank // Soler 103 // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:29 AM   #16
Pro Stock John
Writer

Drives: 2010 SS / 1967 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by coanbread23 View Post
Im firmly convinced the difference between the ZL1 and GT500 in straightline performance is that the Shelby has the bigger supercharger pushing more boost. Sure the camaro is roughly 20 C.I.s bigger, but the Shelby is maxed out as far as Cubic Inches.

So my question is, with the bigger supercharger, pushing more boost (15 like the Mustang) would the Zl1 be as fast or faster than the Shelby? Even with its weight penalty?
I'm firmly convinced it's the 300 lb difference in vehicle weight and that the GT 500 dynos 600rwhp vs. 500rwhp for the ZL1. Other than that they are evenly matched.
12.37@112 1.85 | + Kooks Headers/Cats + 20" 555R + CAI + BW TB + UDP + Tune
12.06@113 1.70 | + CD 3200 + 18" NT05R + RCR Intake + NE OTR + GPI Tune
11.84@115 1.59 | + 3.91s + Race Star 17x7 Fronts
10.90@125 1.47 | + GPI VVT Cam + BW Ported Heads + CD 3800
Pro Stock John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:33 AM   #17
Fenderaddict2
Opinionated bugger!

Drives: Boss 302, Mazda 2, Praga & Intrepid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jleews6 View Post
I'm a Ford guy and I own 6 Mustangs my self so I'm not bashing you because I'm a ZL1 guy but I have to say that if you don't know what your talking about then don't say anything at all.
I have some friends with ls2s and ls3s that are making well over 600rw and some over 700 and they have never had a problem.
A zl1 with the right tune will live a long life at 650rw.

You are right, when it comes to blown Lsomethingsomething motors I know less than nothing. I'm an NA fan who has avoided forced induction since expensive experience in the late 80's/early nineties. Carry on, and ignore my biased and undoubtedly outdated comments.

Follow me on forums everywhere as Fenderaddict2 or my kid on the track and Twitter @fastmyles
Fenderaddict2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 12:26 PM   #18
radz28
Petro-sexual

Considering LS9 is pushing 10.5-psi and making near 640-HP, I think a couple more psi using the LSA cam is going to get pretty close to the 662 that the GT500 is making. You push LSA to 15-psi, though, you're going to have other considerations like CAI and IATs, in my mind.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // TooHighPSI Port Injection // FF // Katech Dual In-Tank // Soler 103 // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
Old 09-04-2012, 10:15 PM   #19
jleews6

Drives: mustangs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenderaddict2 View Post
You are right, when it comes to blown Lsomethingsomething motors I know less than nothing. I'm an NA fan who has avoided forced induction since expensive experience in the late 80's/early nineties. Carry on, and ignore my biased and undoubtedly outdated comments.
After re reading my post I apologize because I did come kind of harsh. I'm also a big N/A guy and that's one of the reasons I love the Boss 302. Its just that you get so many Ford guy's bashing the LS motors and until they have been around them they don't realize what a great motor they are.

BTW, I like your Boss. I have owned three 70 Boss 302s.
jleews6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:20 PM   #20
101fng

Drives: 2009 Mustang GT
Quote:
After re reading my post I apologize because I did come kind of harsh. I'm also a big N/A guy and that's one of the reasons I love the Boss 302. Its just that you get so many Ford guy's bashing the LS motors and until they have been around them they don't realize what a great motor they are.

He's right though. The killer of any blown motor is detonation, and with the ZL1's less than stellar cooling system, detonation will be hard to avoid with more boost. Though the 2300 would def do a better job at making reliable power at the same boost level than the current blower. Am I not correct?
101fng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 04:43 AM   #21
rpepka

Drives: 2013 ZL1 # 2195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgoldston View Post
I disagree, it was nit picked over by the comptrollers and financers and then the engineers were left with the bits and pieces to try to built us something on a limited budget and a small time frame. If it was left to the engineers they would have built a better head, used forged pistons and a larger blower.

I emailed whipple about 4 months ago. They told me they are working on a program for the ZL1 so we will see how it fits when they release it
WOW so easy to figure out, they just want you to buy a NEW one! Sheet the bed. They will improve it then you trade in.
rpepka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:41 AM   #22
jleews6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101fng View Post
He's right though. The killer of any blown motor is detonation, and with the ZL1's less than stellar cooling system, detonation will be hard to avoid with more boost. Though the 2300 would def do a better job at making reliable power at the same boost level than the current blower. Am I not correct?
I would say that with the 1.9 yes because I think it would create allot more heat to produce 15 pounds but I think that with the 2.3 you wouldn't have to spin it very fast at all to make 15 pounds on this motor with stock heads and cam. Im sure that if you were to do heads and cam and tried to make 15 pounds it would become a problem because you would have to spin the blower pretty hard to make that.
Back in the day my Buick Grand national couldnt take any more then about 21 pounds with the stock turbo and it would show knock on the scanmaster but with nothing more then a turbo swap it would make pass after pass on 22 to 23 pounds with zero knock.
Problem was the same as the zl1 in that the stock turbo had to be spun so fast to make that power that it was creating to much heat.

I do agree 100% in that detonation is the killer. I have seen stock Buicks live at 30 pounds and then I have seen some come apart at 17 pounds on pump gas and people getting greedy with the timing.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:31 PM   #23
f_bodyman

Drives: 69 LS1, 91 RS, 01 T/A WS6, 12 ZL1
I agree on the cost and target market issue as everyone else has said, but also wish to remind all of us wearing bowties that we do have a Corvette ceiling above our heads... The GT500 is the Ford flagship and theyre gunning to compete with the Vette. As seen before in 89 with th TTA, guys paying top dollar for a Corvette get mad when they are outperformed by a mere f-body. Ive heard spec that this is the reason we werent offered true polished wheels... so that way the Vette guys would still have something over us.
f_bodyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 09:12 AM   #24
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by f_bodyman View Post
I agree on the cost and target market issue as everyone else has said, but also wish to remind all of us wearing bowties that we do have a Corvette ceiling above our heads... The GT500 is the Ford flagship and theyre gunning to compete with the Vette. As seen before in 89 with th TTA, guys paying top dollar for a Corvette get mad when they are outperformed by a mere f-body. Ive heard spec that this is the reason we werent offered true polished wheels... so that way the Vette guys would still have something over us.
What you say is true, but I don't think, as CAMARO-lovers, we like seeing a faster Mustang, Corvette or not... I agree with what you're saying though

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Old 09-11-2012, 10:13 AM   #25
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Stock John View Post
I'm firmly convinced it's the 300 lb difference in vehicle weight and that the GT 500 dynos 600rwhp vs. 500rwhp for the ZL1. Other than that they are evenly matched.
The 300 lbs is probably adding 3/10 to the 1/4.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 04:41 PM   #26
Fenderaddict2
Opinionated bugger!

Quote:

No worries, I didn't take your comment as being harsh. You were, as I admitted, correct. I don't have the depth of knowledge on GM motors that I do with Ford and Mopar. Three 70's Boss #02s?!?!?! Bloody sweet, any pics? Which colours? Sooo jealous.

Follow me on forums everywhere as Fenderaddict2 or my kid on the track and Twitter @fastmyles
Old 09-11-2012, 04:45 PM   #27
Fenderaddict2
Opinionated bugger!

Quote:
I do agree 100% in that detonation is the killer. I have seen stock Buicks live at 30 pounds and then I have seen some come apart at 17 pounds on pump gas and people getting greedy with the timing.

Only seen 3 motors blow in my life, 2 in Vettes and 1 Mopar. Spectacular!!!

Taints one viewpoint as I'm sure there are Ford Motors that have blown apart, and I do see a lot of talk of Cylinder 8 issues.

Old 09-11-2012, 05:32 PM   #28
jleews6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenderaddict2 View Post
No worries, I didn't take your comment as being harsh. You were, as I admitted, correct. I don't have the depth of knowledge on GM motors that I do with Ford and Mopar. Three 70's Boss #02s?!?!?! Bloody sweet, any pics? Which colours? Sooo jealous.
I hate to hijack this thread but,,,what the hell.
This was my favorite one.Calypso on white,spoiler,shaker,slats and a factory 3.91 gear.67K mile car. I also had a yellow on black one and a gold metallic on ginger car that had factory Boss 429 shock towers in it.
I don't have any good pics of the other ones.