Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 07-23-2008, 09:03 PM   #1
Scotsman
Auto Pilot

Drives: Gunmetal
ED IL: Tuners invited to inspect 2010 Genesis Coupe

Cool....

Quote:
Hyundai Invites Aftermarket Tuners To Measure 2010 Genesis Coupe

Date posted: 07-23-2008

FOUNTAIN VALLEY, California — Hyundai took a major step toward reinventing itself as a legitimate performance-car manufacturer by inviting 20 aftermarket companies to measure the 2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe today at its North American headquarters in Fountain Valley, California.

Hyundai Motor America officials called this the official SEMA measuring session for the company's rear-drive coupe, which is based on the shortened version of the 2009 Hyundai Genesis Sedan platform.

"Normally, we've done this closer to the start of production," Wayne Killen, director of strategic product planning for Hyundai Motor America, told us. "But we really wanted the aftermarket companies to get a start on it."

The aftermarket companies ran the gamut, ranging from Wet Okole Hawaii, which makes waterproof seat covers, to Garrett-Honeywell and HKS.

You'll recall from the 2008 New York Auto Show that Hyundai will be offering both a 310-horsepower 3.8-liter V6 and a 223-hp, 2.0-liter, turbocharged, inline four-cylinder in the 2010 Genesis Coupe. Not surprisingly, the 2.0-liter turbo got most of the attention from the tuners, and since the engine itself is a direct relation of the 2.0-liter in the Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart and Evolution X, most weren't seeing it for the first time.

"I'm more excited about this than I am about that one," said John Espino of Gale Banks Engineering, while standing next to the turbo coupe. "If you look under the hood, there's more room to do stuff." However, he noted that his company is working on a supercharger for the V6 Genesis coupe, in addition to planned upgrades for the turbocharger and intercooler on the four-cylinder model.

"There's an engine mount underneath the turbocharger so that kind of limits how big you can go," Garrett's Brian Regnier told us. "But there's always a way around that." He said the main contingency for Garrett in developing turbo upgrades for the Genesis coupe is public reaction to Hyundai's first rear-wheel-drive coupe. "We'll wait to see what the reception for this vehicle is at track days," he noted.

Hyundai officials also confirmed today that the company will offer Track versions of both the four-cylinder turbo and the V6 coupe. "They'll be a low percentage of the mix," Joyce admitted, "but they will be uncompromised in their performance."

In addition to retuned suspension compared to the standard versions of the coupe, the Genesis Track models will pick up a front strut tower brace and a full set of Brembo brakes, including four-piston monobloc calipers up front.

Regardless of the engine underhood, Track models will come with Bridgestone Potenza RE050A summer tires, sized 225/40R19 up front and 245/40R19 in back. Non-Track Genesis coupes get 225/45R18 Bridgestone Potenza RE092As in front and 245/45s in back.

Hyundai also revealed some basic stats on the likely customer base today. The four-cylinder turbo coupe is predicted to draw an even mix of men and women, while the company anticipates an older, more affluent and 70 percent male crowd to embrace the V6 coupe. The highest-volume exterior color is expected to be Gray Titanium at 18 percent.

Known internally as "BK," the 2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe will go into production in December 2008 at Hyundai's Alsan, Korea, plant. Look for the cars to arrive at dealerships in early February 2009.

What this means to you:
Hyundai hopes the 2010 Genesis Coupe will pick up where the Nissan 240SX left off, and is doing everything it can to ensure full aftermarket support when the coupe goes on sale. — Erin Riches, Senior Editor
Old 07-23-2008, 09:09 PM   #2
Myka
ritired suthern gentlman

Drives: nothing now
It doesn't look too bad. I wonder how much it will weigh? lol, touchy subject.
Myka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 09:20 PM   #3
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
hmmm...this has me thinking.....
Old 07-23-2008, 09:26 PM   #4
Scotsman
Auto Pilot

Drives: Gunmetal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
hmmm...this has me thinking.....
about???.........
Old 07-23-2008, 09:34 PM   #5
Mr. Wyndham

this:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...8718#post98718
Old 07-24-2008, 10:20 PM   #6
Cubanaso
Follower of CHRIST!

Drives: 2005 Mazda RX8
Genesis coupe aftermarket love

Take a look...

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/07/24/t...es-details-on/

You know, some folks might not like this car but it's hard to argue against a good looking (not Camaro good looking for sure) rwd 3545 pound 3.8L V6 306-310HP coupe that is going to be sold for about 24K and will have all safety options and other tech options on top of that.

Also...that they even care about the aftermarket shows about about them.

NOTE: For some stupid reason, autoblog calls the bigger engine for "hair dressers"???? I don't know what the heck they are talking about with that.
Old 07-24-2008, 11:30 PM   #7
Mr. Wyndham

Merged.

I thought the V6 version was going to hit closer to 26,000?
Old 07-25-2008, 12:14 AM   #8
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
The Genesis coupe is really something. In fact its pretty high on my list of alternative choices to the Camaro (are you listening GM? Keep the price down).

I'm excited about Gale Banks Engineering's involvement. Gale Banks is a friend of my Father-in-Law and he gave me a tour of his factory. Its quite the quality operation.

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
shining at the end of every day
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
Just a dream away
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 07:48 AM   #9
Cubanaso
Follower of CHRIST!

^I 2nd that, this is by far the best competition to the Camaro right now for me too. According to the spec's...

3545 pounds
RWD
3.8L V6 306-310HP (depending on fuel type)
6spd stick (LISTENING GM, some of us like to use STICK......get your minds out of the gutter people! LOL)

It's pretty good looking and I know the aftermarket will make it even better looking. Also, there is no longer any denying Hyundai's quality, standard options, and valued price.

Dragoneye, I'm not sure of the price yet honestly but I keep hearing 24K and less for the I-4 but I guess we shall see about all of that.

I've been trying to find a forum for it, you know to get an inside look, but I can't find a good one yet while I have not looked for too long.

This car is more of a competitor to the new Camaro V6 (the cash cow of Camaro's sales) than anything else out there. No, it's not as good looking as the Camaro but it's good looking enough, has the right performance DNA with it's engine, and if the 300 pounds heavier Genesis sadan with the same engine can get PER THE NEW EPA #'s 18/27 this thing might also be a gas sipper considering it's powerful engine.

NOTE: Sorry for the repost, thanks Dragon
Old 07-25-2008, 07:54 AM   #10
Cubanaso
Follower of CHRIST!

OH....and they are talking about a "light weight" version, oh mama...who do these guys think they are.

Hyundai me and you are seeing eye to eye!
(making two finger motion to Hyundai)

As stated, this is going to be a great car I bet.

Hairdresser, what in the H#(*#&$ is autoblog talking about?
Old 07-25-2008, 08:03 AM   #11
ihc95

Drives: 2018 GT PP1 A10
I saw the Genisis Coupe in person. Its a gorgeous car. Somehow it looks..............exotic. I looks like a G37 only with more radical curves (which makes it better looking). Despite all this, I would never consider this car as an alternitive. I cant help thinking that its still a Hyundai.
ihc95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 11:45 AM   #12
Cubanaso
Follower of CHRIST!

^but why is that a bad thing?

Sure, back in the 80's they suked...then 90's not much better, but they are really kicking butt lately and even Toyota is scared of them.

My wife has a Sante Fe and I have no real complaints.

I can't wait for the specifics on this car.

Last edited by Cubanaso; 07-25-2008 at 12:00 PM.
Cubanaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 12:52 PM   #13
Camaro82

Drives: 370z
Here is a good chart, even power-to-weight ratios of its competion...enjoy.

Camaro82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 03:08 PM   #14
Cubanaso
Follower of CHRIST!

Wow, thanks for that bit of info!