Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 11-12-2008, 09:13 AM   #29
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoriJoe View Post
I'd hope that you can get an aftermarket HID kit. Does anyone know if that's available for other cars? I would expect that you can switch the lights, later.
There are quite a few HID conversion kits out there but they are pricey. Can be as expensive as 1K for some cars.
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 12:02 PM   #30
camarolt76
2SS/RS Black/CGM Stripes

Drives: 88 Iroc, 76 Camaro, 2010 2SS/RS
My personal preference is that the halos look better than the regular headlights. That is pretty much the reason I added the RS package. I also like the upgrade from the sterling silver wheels (midnight silver) and the darker tailights.
camarolt76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 12:25 PM   #31
dieseldave24v
PowerStroke this Ford boy

Drives: Like Don Garlits "Big Daddy"
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoriJoe View Post
I'd hope that you can get an aftermarket HID kit. Does anyone know if that's available for other cars? I would expect that you can switch the lights, later.

Also keep in mind that you will not only be buying the lights and ballast, but also the actual light housings themselves. It is my understanding that you have to have projector style lights to run HID and the no RS cars do not have that. Much cheaper just to get the RS and be done with it
dieseldave24v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 01:09 PM   #32
turbocrazy

Drives: Cadillac CTS & 2010 BLK SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseldave24v View Post
Also keep in mind that you will not only be buying the lights and ballast, but also the actual light housings themselves. It is my understanding that you have to have projector style lights to run HID and the no RS cars do not have that. Much cheaper just to get the RS and be done with it
Actually that is incorrect. A good example would be the toyota prius which has HID's an option and DOES NOT have projectors. Also if you guys look around HID's can be had for under $200, which plug into your factory harness. It has been years since HID headlamps were even remotely close to the $1k price range. I did however order the RS package myself and I think it is worth every penny.
turbocrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 02:06 PM   #33
dieseldave24v
PowerStroke this Ford boy

Drives: Like Don Garlits "Big Daddy"
Well I guess I stand corrected. I just did a google search for a company that sells conversions they say "we recomend the use of projector beam headlights" So I guess you dont have ot have them after all.
dieseldave24v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 02:49 PM   #34
headpunter
Not That sad..considering

Drives: Man
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbocrazy View Post
Actually that is incorrect. A good example would be the toyota prius which has HID's an option and DOES NOT have projectors. Also if you guys look around HID's can be had for under $200, which plug into your factory harness. It has been years since HID headlamps were even remotely close to the $1k price range. I did however order the RS package myself and I think it is worth every penny.
sorry but my friend just had to replace his A4's hid's and there were 450 a side....
Old 11-12-2008, 03:07 PM   #35
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Umm...question (because I'm not familiar with HIDs like some of you are):

Has anybody ever seen an HID lamp that did both low AND high-beams? Usually on BMWs, etc; they have two lamps per headlight assembly. One for high, and one for low-beams. The Camaro is the first time I've ever seen an HID that does both.
Old 11-12-2008, 03:09 PM   #36
headpunter
Not That sad..considering

Drives: Man
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post

Has anybody ever seen an HID lamp that did both low AND high-beams? Usually on BMWs, etc; they have two lamps per headlight assembly. One for high, and one for low-beams. The Camaro is the first time I've ever seen an HID that does both.

its just a higher voltage/wattage running through the lamp

otherwise i cant say i have seen another car like that.
Old 11-12-2008, 03:15 PM   #37
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by headpunter View Post
its just a higher voltage/wattage running through the lamp

otherwise i cant say i have seen another car like that.
Are you sure? I seem to remember something about a lense that redirects the beam...and if you get a close-up shot of the projector you can see it's split a little like bifocal glasses....

I asked, because that certainly would help explain its cost being that dual-beam HID lights seem rare in the market...
Old 11-12-2008, 03:18 PM   #38
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
^That's a great observation. I hadn't even thought of that before. Typically HID conversions only convert the low beams.

Interesting.
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 09:19 PM   #39
LSxJunkie
Snark snark snark

Drives: RX350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post

A lot of cars run a Bi-Xenon HIDs. Often the high beam just toggles the cutoff shield and allows the light to shine above it, illuminating the entire road. In some cases, where the refraction of the light coming through the projector creates the sharp cutoff, the bulb moves in the housing and light is bent upwards for the high beam.

Aftermarket bi-xenon kits are much more expensive than regular Plug and Play HIDs.
Old 11-13-2008, 02:57 PM   #40
Geno

Drives: 2013 Hyundai Genesis Coupe GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by JameSS View Post
Debating rather to include the RS Package or not. I wanted to know for those of you who have HIDs or know about them, are they that much better? I have a set of the Silverstar Ultras in my truck and they light up the road pretty damn good, a nice bright white light.... would I be able to tell that much of a difference?
Hey all, I have just looked up the Silverstar and Phillips makes a bright white halogen bulb as well. How many have used them??? I canceled the RS package as a matter of princpal over the "summer" tires and no option for all weather tires and not about to buy a new car and have to buy tires for it.
Geno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 02:49 AM   #41
whatismyusername

Drives: 07 300C SRT-8
I would pay the extra and get the OEM HID's. No aftermarket kit can close to a OEM HID system.
whatismyusername is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 02:14 PM   #42
tsg1391

Drives: 79 formula 'bird, 5th gen soon
added rs to my package! mainly because of these headlights
tsg1391 is offline   Reply With Quote