Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions

Old 04-24-2010, 02:43 AM   #1
Dr

Drives: Sebring
Doc fees

Any experience with getting a dealer to reduce their doc fees? Paying a dealer $500 to spend an hour typing up the paperwork to sell me a car, it just seems excessive.

I do not begrudge a dealer for making a fair profit, but I've just seen the doc fees go up over the last few decades and it still rubs me the wrong way.

Any thoughts?
Dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 10:25 AM   #2
Frank in MD
Raining Blood

Drives: 2014 SS Performance Sedan
Ask them straight up if the doc fee is required by law. When you see that it isn't, you'll have your answer.

2014 SS Performance Sedan #2974 - Red Hot 2 - S/R. & Spare. Built 01/09/14 #238 of 291 as configured
Frank in MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 10:28 AM   #3
oldfriend

Drives: Fiat 500 E
yeah the scumbugs are here,there and everywhere, don t pay those fees man !!!
oldfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 10:29 AM   #4
CamaroScotty
Account Suspended

Drives: Your new SLP Camaro!
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroScotty
Fee's vary by state... Our's per the states requirement are call SERVICE FEE'S.

An FYI:

Dealerships and Services Fees

In 2002 Wisconsin became the 49th state to allow dealerships to charge services fees. The rule change recognizes some of the costs related to compliance with federal and state laws which provide for safety, consumer protection, anti-theft measures, vehicle history checks, notification, certifications and official filings.

Much work and expense occurs even before a document is ready to be used, and there are many documents.

Before vehicles can be sold, dealers must invest in personnel training to carry out legal mandates.

Not all transactions involve the same services, but all carry many legal requirements and documents to support those requirements.

Services Examples

•Check vehicle safety, history and titles
•Provide full condition information on the window label
•Discover and disclose accurate vehicle mileage
•Check for recalls on used vehicles where required
•Complete required forms and contracts that protect your interests
•Process titles and plates
•File and clear liens
•Keep your information private and secure
•Fulfill vehicle emission laws
•Pass along manufacturer information, including lemon law notices
•Process taxes on your purchase and rebates
•Keep you informed of your rights and obligations
•Keep important records of your purchase
•Purchase required forms and supplies
•Maintain technology to process your paperwork faster
•Train staff to carry out laws that protect you
•Maintain professional licenses that ensure quality service
Why So Many Forms...
Most forms are required to fulfill Wisconsin and federal laws; others are often necessary for accounting, financing, manufacturer rebate reimbursement or notification.

Privacy
Dealers must collect non-public, personal information that may be required as a result of a credit or title application. They don't ask for personal information unless it is required, because dealers take your privacy seriously.

Only in Wisconsin
Dealers share an interest in creating consumer laws that keep customer satisfaction high and the industry healthy. For that reason, dealers have joined the Wisconsin Department of Transportation and other agencies in creating strict laws about vehicle sales.

Peace of Mind...
Wisconsin dealers must be licensed by the state. In order to quality for a license, they must meet requirements regarding financial stability, proper dealership facilities, record keeping and more. In order to qualify for a license, salespeople must be trained and pass a test. Licensing offers you the peace of mind that dealership staff have the knowledge they need to do business right.

Car and truck dealers carry out regulations specific to motor vehicles from these state and federal agencies:

•Wisconsin Department of Transportation, Division of Motor Vehicles
- Dealer Section (licensor)
•Wisconsin Department of Financial Institutions (co-licensor)
•Wisconsin Department of Revenue
•Wisconsin Department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection
•Wisconsin Department of Justice
•Wisconsin Office of the Commissioner of Insurance
•Wisconsin Highway patrol
•Wisconsin Bureau of Child Support
•National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
•Federal Trade Commission
•Federal Reserve Board
•U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
•U.S. Internal Revenue Service
•Federal Bureau of Investigation
•U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration
•U.S. Customs Service
•U.S. Financial Crimes Enforcement Network
•U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service
•U.S. Office of Foreign Assets Control
•Federal Highway Administration
•Federal Motor Carriers Administration
•U.S. Research and SPecial products Administration
CamaroScotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 03:25 PM   #5
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr View Post
Any experience with getting a dealer to reduce their doc fees? Paying a dealer $500 to spend an hour typing up the paperwork to sell me a car, it just seems excessive.

I do not begrudge a dealer for making a fair profit, but I've just seen the doc fees go up over the last few decades and it still rubs me the wrong way.

Any thoughts?
$500 is WAY too much. As mentioned already, some of the paperwork (especially the ones sent to the DMV) have filing fees however in most states $100 is enough to cover these fees and still leave the dealer a little profit.

Personally I would talk to the salesman and tell him/her that you know $500 is far too excessive and offer to pay $100 and see what they say. They'll probably take it.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 03:35 PM   #6
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
$500 is WAY too much. As mentioned already, some of the paperwork (especially the ones sent to the DMV) have filing fees however in most states $100 is enough to cover these fees and still leave the dealer a little profit.

Personally I would talk to the salesman and tell him/her that you know $500 is far too excessive and offer to pay $100 and see what they say. They'll probably take it.
I hate siding with dealers on this sort of thing, but you've got to consider that they have to pay the office employees who do this work. I would talk to them about negotiating this price down, but I don't think $200 is extraordinary if the dealership offers a phenomenal customer service experience. Poorly paid workers do poor work, and you don't want someone messing up your paperwork and taking your car back.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 03:41 PM   #7
espo19047

Drives: Impala
Send a message via AIM to espo19047
The Doc fee at my dealership is $125 or $75 for GMS and supplier. Not up for discussion. If I have to throw it it is coming off the car.
espo19047 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 03:44 PM   #8
CamaroScotty
Account Suspended

Wisconsin's view was, dealerships have these costs....before they made the law, some of the money in the price of the car went to these costs.....to "better protect the consumer", they said all costs have to be revealed in a visible service fee.

Makes me want to run for state politics!
Old 04-24-2010, 04:05 PM   #9
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
I hate siding with dealers on this sort of thing, but you've got to consider that they have to pay the office employees who do this work. I would talk to them about negotiating this price down, but I don't think $200 is extraordinary if the dealership offers a phenomenal customer service experience. Poorly paid workers do poor work, and you don't want someone messing up your paperwork and taking your car back.
It takes less then an hour to do this at what $10-$15 an hour. And the employee who fills these out gets paid the same amount no matter how much you pay the dealership, whether it's $500, $100 or nothing the actual dealership cost stays the same.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 04:28 PM   #10
CamaroScotty
Account Suspended

don't forget, 7 years of documents makes up for LOTS of bankers boxes - some use off site secure storage....