Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 07-24-2014, 10:12 AM   #1
intensifi

Drives: '12 2LT Convertible
Spoiled by SS Brembos and stock suspension

I really enjoy the feel and responsiveness of the car when maneuvering at speed and braking. I have thought about the 1LE upgrade kit and may do it at some point.

However here is the problem I now face. Driving my wife's Lexus 400H at speed is now a somewhat scary experience. If I get that car above 65, lane changes and wide turns are frightening. It's just so loose and the brakes feel like they take forever to engage. The mechanic says everything is fine with it though. I was driving to Tahoe on 80 a couple weeks back. On that final downhill stretch I had to keep it around 60 to be comfortable in the turns which wasn't easy with those lame brakes.

Maybe I'll have to find our family another SUV that handles/brakes better. For now I just not driving it much on the freeways.

Last edited by intensifi; 07-26-2014 at 09:11 PM.
intensifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 10:50 AM   #2
Dexman1349
2010 2SS/RS M6

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6
Higher center of mass, less tuned for performance, larger sidewalls and smaller contact area on the tires. It's no wonder the Lexus handles like crap when compared to the SS.

The real challenge should be trying to figure out how to put the 1LE package on the Lexus...

Cosmetic: ZL1 front w/mailslot, painted stripes, powdercoated SS rims, tow hook, and full chrome delete

Suspension: Pfadt subframe bushings, Pfadt rear UCA bushings, Z28 Upper control arms, Spohn trailing arms with BMR trailing arm & differential bushings, ZL1 Toe Rods and springs, Prothane radius arm inserts & steering rack bushing, Pfadt Sport front sway, FE4 conversion w/ DS rear sway, Pfadt strut brace

Drivetrain: RMCR tune, CAI intake, Kooks headers, hi-flo cats & exhaust, VMAX TB, ZL1 fuel pump, LSR Tri-Ax shifter

Bumblebee Racecar Build
Dexman1349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 11:00 AM   #3
NotYetLegend

Drives: 2012 1SS/RS
I hear ya man. I drive my gf's 2006 g35 sedan all the time and the lack of body control is scary on the highway, the wind blows the thing all over the road! The brakes are complete garbage too... All that said the low speed handling of the g35 is roughly 3000% better than the SS haha. The SS feels like a German car to me, it's so solid and strong, you get used to that and Japanese cars just don't feel "safe" anymore.
Old 07-26-2014, 01:09 PM   #4
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by intensifi View Post
I really enjoy the feel and responsiveness of the car when maneuvering at speed and braking. I have thought about the 1LE upgrade kit and may do it at some point.

However here is the problem I now face, driving my wife's Lexus 400H at speed is now a somewhat scary experience. If I get that car above 65, lane changes and wide turns are frightening. It's just so loose and the brakes feel like they take forever to engage. The mechanic says everything is fine with it though. I was driving to Tahoe on 80 a couple weeks back. On that final downhill stretch I had to keep it around 60 to be comfortable in the turns which wasn't easy with those lame brakes.

Maybe I'll have to find our family another SUV that handles/brakes better. For now I just not driving it much on the freeways.
LOL, I know what you mean. I just traded the wife's min-van in for a 14' Traverse and It rides better but the brakes a soft. Since you helped me with my SS Brembo upgrade I've been spoiled too.

Just FYI...I just received all my LE parts and I'll be doing this upgrade within the next two weeks. So I can give you some feedback afterwards if you want.
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 07:33 PM   #5
NotYetLegend

Drives: 2012 1SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaBoom1701 View Post
LOL, I know what you mean. I just traded the wife's min-van in for a 14' Traverse and It rides better but the brakes a soft. Since you helped me with my SS Brembo upgrade I've been spoiled too.

Just FYI...I just received all my LE parts and I'll be doing this upgrade within the next two weeks. So I can give you some feedback afterwards if you want.
SS brakes and 1LE suspension on an LT is going to handle awesome! Thing would kill an autocross course! Best of luck w the upgrades
Old 07-26-2014, 08:39 PM   #6
intensifi

Drives: '12 2LT Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaBoom1701 View Post

Thanks and absolutely yes on the 1LE suspension upgrade info!

Justicepete said somewhere on here to only install the 1LE front sway bar if you go with a square wheel setup.
Old 07-27-2014, 10:34 AM   #7
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
I have an offset set up...same as the ZL1 I believe. But someone would have to confirm that. 285 up front with 305 in the back

See info listed below.
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 04:16 PM   #8
grocerygetter
instigator

Drives: 2020 6.2 Trail Boss, 2022 XC90
Get used to driving a camaro then jump in a vette. Will totally give you perspective of how much faster a car can be with a driver-mod.