Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 09-05-2010, 09:14 AM   #1
newagemuscle
Philippians 4:13

Drives: SLP Supercharged LS3
Question If you painted or had your calipers powder coated... step inside

I asked this question in another post and was told to come here for the answere. I have an earlier 2010 Camaro. What I mean by earlier is, I have the GM quick brake fix with wheel weights stuck to my front calipers. I am going to be having Mike Golding, The Powder Coater, do my calipers in the near future. My question is this, once I do the exchange with him and get a new set of calipers back for exchange. What will happen if I put the new calipers back on without the wheel weights? I DO NOT want to reinstall those weights back on to my new powder coated calipers. What is the fix? New Pads? Can I buy the roller skates for mine through the dealer? If so, how much are they?

Thanks Guys.
Old 09-05-2010, 09:23 AM   #2
SSOOCH
Camaro SL,UTs

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS #16429
There is a TSB out there for squeaky brakes. Complain of this to your dealer, get the upgraded brakes, then powder coat them.
Old 09-05-2010, 09:44 AM   #3
newagemuscle

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSOOCH View Post
There is a TSB out there for squeaky brakes. Complain of this to your dealer, get the upgraded brakes, then powder coat them.
I know about that...the problem is, I have cross drilled rotors now and I'm sure they would blame it on that. I wonder if you can just buy that roller skate.
newagemuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 11:57 AM   #4
My 5th

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6 Black on Black
My understanding is the roller skates are on the brake pads, not the caliper. So if you want the roller skates, just buy new pads.

I had my calipers powdercoated and they took the stick-on weights off. I have the Hawk ceramic pads, and didn't add any additional goop to the backs of the pads. I don't have any noise--that I can hear--from my brakes. No squealing, no growling or grinding sound. So far, it looks like the weights were totally unnecessary in my case.
Old 09-05-2010, 12:41 PM   #5
newagemuscle

Quote:
Originally Posted by My 5th View Post
My understanding is the roller skates are on the brake pads, not the caliper. So if you want the roller skates, just buy new pads.

I had my calipers powdercoated and they took the stick-on weights off. I have the Hawk ceramic pads, and didn't add any additional goop to the backs of the pads. I don't have any noise--that I can hear--from my brakes. No squealing, no growling or grinding sound. So far, it looks like the weights were totally unnecessary in my case.
How much were the Hawk ceramic pads?
Old 09-05-2010, 01:01 PM   #6
mikepage0007

Drives: 2010 camaro
what i would like to know..what has gm done with the 2011 calipers...did they stick with the roller skates?
Old 09-05-2010, 01:40 PM   #7
Jaysin

Drives: 2015 Chevrolet SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepage0007 View Post
what i would like to know..what has gm done with the 2011 calipers...did they stick with the roller skates?
Yep, they still have the roller skates.
Jaysin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 01:58 PM   #8
markmass
TRI-COUNTY CAMAROS

Drives: 2SS/RS Oct 2009
I had mine powder coated, and did not put the weights back on. That was a couple of thousand miles ago. I have not noticed anything different from before. I have 7000 miles now. I was expecting something different and ready to change the pads.
GET-TORQ custom CAM 223/243 LSA113, Full LS3 conversion, 3200 stall Multi-Disk TC from Circle-D, B&M Supercooler to cool that tranny down....1 7/8" Kooks Headers and High flowCats. MACH XL Catbacks. Eibach springs, R2C Performance CAI, powdercoated calipers, Footwell lighting in tune with dome lights, tints, ABL Lighting, ACS T3 ports and ACS Eagle T3 triple LED lighting kit. Heritage grill, Hex vents, ZL1 rockers, ZL1 Diffuser, Quad tips...the list keeps getting longer - whats next??

markmass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 03:05 PM   #9
newagemuscle

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmass View Post
I had mine powder coated, and did not put the weights back on. That was a couple of thousand miles ago. I have not noticed anything different from before. I have 7000 miles now. I was expecting something different and ready to change the pads.
Hey, can you post some pics of your calipers. I would like to see how they look in yellow. I have been going back and forth on color.
Old 09-05-2010, 03:10 PM   #10
markmass
TRI-COUNTY CAMAROS

Drives: 2SS/RS Oct 2009
Here you go...My PC with the pics crashed!!! joy -- but I have a thread here:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89928
GET-TORQ custom CAM 223/243 LSA113, Full LS3 conversion, 3200 stall Multi-Disk TC from Circle-D, B&M Supercooler to cool that tranny down....1 7/8" Kooks Headers and High flowCats. MACH XL Catbacks. Eibach springs, R2C Performance CAI, powdercoated calipers, Footwell lighting in tune with dome lights, tints, ABL Lighting, ACS T3 ports and ACS Eagle T3 triple LED lighting kit. Heritage grill, Hex vents, ZL1 rockers, ZL1 Diffuser, Quad tips...the list keeps getting longer - whats next??

markmass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 04:04 PM   #11
Cal 20112SS

Drives: 2019 C7 Stingray
^^That looks badass mark! Nice job
Cal 20112SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 09:12 PM   #12
newagemuscle

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmass View Post
Here you go...My PC with the pics crashed!!! joy -- but I have a thread here:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89928
Wow... looks real nice. Who did them. Is that rally yellow for the color or is it just a close match color?

Last edited by newagemuscle; 09-06-2010 at 05:56 AM.
Old 09-05-2010, 10:00 PM   #13
Jetsco

Drives: Ordered 2/25/09 -2SS/RS/IOM/M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by My 5th View Post

I did the exact same thing as the quote above and no problems at all. Mike did mine as well and they turned out awesome!
IOM 2SS/RS, M6 (587rwhp) - Chrome Maggie w/3.8 Pulley, Speed Inc Custom Cam Package, Roto-Fab CAI, Stainless Works Headers and Full Exhaust System, SI Custom Tune, Pfadt Drop Springs, Pfadt Front and Rear Sways, Powder Coated Calipers with Stillen Vented/Cross-drilled Rotors and SS Brake Lines, Barton Shifter, Street Scene Scoops, NLP Spoiler, Heritage Grille, Smoked Lenes, Painted XM Antenna, Showstopper Custom Engine Compartment and D2FORGED 22" CV2's.
Jetsco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 12:20 AM   #14
My 5th

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6 Black on Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by newagemuscle View Post
How much were the Hawk ceramic pads?
I don't remember exactly, but I think they were around $200 for the full set for all 4 wheels.

Tags
brakes, calipers, pads, powder coat, wheel weights