Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-25-2016, 12:10 AM   #29
Motorboy8769

Drives: 2015 2ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghosted View Post
No need to be a condescending prick when simple things such as common courtesy, the English language, and general grammar guidelines elude you. "Gee I never saw this hmm hee hee haw haw," shut the **** up.

So back before the inclusion of power assist, cars were all hazardous and unpleasant to drive?

The funny thing is that the electrically assisted power steering isn't just as simple as an on/off setting. It acts differently at different speeds/conditions.

Half of you commenting in here are being condescending douchebags. The OP was asking a legitimate question. He wasn't asking for everyone's "boo-hoo-ing," moral standing and sob stories/smartassery on the subject, he was asking the forum a simple technical question. I'd venture to say that if you're not actually qualified to speak on the subject that you just simply walk away before you make yourself look worse. You might as well tell him not to even drive on the track by saying "Oh but your car wasn't designed for the track! It's not a Pagani Zonda! Don't do it, you're dumb dumb dumb!"

We all modify our cars, some more than others. Some people remove the catalytic converters, some people tint the windows. Some people swap motors while others swap steering wheels. Just because something is out of your wheelhouse doesn't mean that it's not in someone else's. You all need to chill out, and remember that we're here to help one another, not bash on the ideas/ponderings of others. If someone is WAY in the wrong, feel free to correct them by providing actual information, and not just childish rantings to the contrary that prove nothing.
Thank you.

As for the bit driving it in the street I do not a lot cruise here and there. I don't hot rod it hardly on the road. I don't drive it to work. Thus the reason for not removing the powersteering all together. Depends how well I am doing in the points if I am up there I'm not driving it in the road unless necessary. I don't want to risk my season because some one rear ended me or ran a red light etc.
Motorboy8769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 12:12 AM   #30
Motorboy8769

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS376 View Post
You're making no sense. You either have power steering or you don't. It's not going to be off at the start of a race then suddenly turn on. I'm starting to wonder if you've ever actually driven a car.
What I am referring to is when you run the car on a jack or a Dyno anytime the front wheels aren't moving for more than a burn out the computer goes nuts. Before the tune it would go away right away under normal driving after I tuned it it takes a while a couple key cycles sometimes as well as driving the car for a bit. So when I'm going 80+ I don't want my steering changing
Old 05-25-2016, 12:14 AM   #31
Motorboy8769

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianchevell View Post
The thing is the TORQUE MANAGEMENT is what people want removed or seriously limited, traction control is a feature us old motor heads would have killed for in the day, removing it and ABS...... I doubt a tuner with any sense would do it, ABS which can cause the brakes to engage a billion time a friggin minute is great and needed also to avoid accidents and was developed just for that and unless your fat and the furious driving drifting trying to set off your airbags.... WHY WHY WHY......?

Slicks walking in a race is a term for the tires turning on the rims and can be dangerous thus why they literally screw the sidewall of the tire to the rim for racing, power steering does not just cut out with electric power steering more a likely loss of it from belts with a pump slipping or breaking or ...... loosing steering from drifting on slicks and you need to get out of it and use the steering to counter then back on it again after regaining traction. And to buy a 15 not to use it on the street... and just race it.... smells.
I have my slicks screwed that is not what I am referring to I'm talking about the moving/walking around that happens on slicks when you are half to ¾ track
Old 05-25-2016, 01:07 AM   #32
SS376

Drives: 2013 1SS LS3
Quote:
No need to be a condescending prick when simple things such as common courtesy, the English language, and general grammar guidelines elude you. "Gee I never saw this hmm hee hee haw haw," shut the **** up.

So back before the inclusion of power assist, cars were all hazardous and unpleasant to drive?

The funny thing is that the electrically assisted power steering isn't just as simple as an on/off setting. It acts differently at different speeds/conditions.

Half of you commenting in here are being condescending douchebags. The OP was asking a legitimate question. He wasn't asking for everyone's "boo-hoo-ing," moral standing and sob stories/smartassery on the subject, he was asking the forum a simple technical question. I'd venture to say that if you're not actually qualified to speak on the subject that you just simply walk away before you make yourself look worse. You might as well tell him not to even drive on the track by saying "Oh but your car wasn't designed for the track! It's not a Pagani Zonda! Don't do it, you're dumb dumb dumb!"

We all modify our cars, some more than others. Some people remove the catalytic converters, some people tint the windows. Some people swap motors while others swap steering wheels. Just because something is out of your wheelhouse doesn't mean that it's not in someone else's. You all need to chill out, and remember that we're here to help one another, not bash on the ideas/ponderings of others. If someone is WAY in the wrong, feel free to correct them by providing actual information, and not just childish rantings to the contrary that prove nothing.
Cars with manual steering have slower steering gear than cars with power steering, so no, operating a car with factory manual steering was far different than operating a power steering car with inoperative power steering. A modern Camaro does not have the sort of steering gear ratio to be able to function well if the power steering is disabled.

The OP is indeed WAY in the wrong and what he is proposing is dangerous. Don't encourage him.
SS376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 01:55 AM   #33
Motorboy8769

Well I can say it feels fine when the computer turns it off. To me it's more dangerous for the computer to turn it on in the middle of a race once it senses the front and back wheels have been turning the same speed long enough.
Old 05-25-2016, 01:59 AM   #34
Motorboy8769

I just checked it it says service power steering... And the wheel is stiffer so if it is not disabled then what changed when this comes on?
Old 05-25-2016, 05:42 PM   #35
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
My point : whatever you have done to your car that makes supposedly the power steering to turn on or off, you have messed up, if you have removed traction control you have definitely messed up. I use T/C constantly, I do not go to the drags or have slicks but I am highly modified and do bang through the gears and have way in excess of the stock amount of torque and HP to the wheels and have no problems with what you say your dealing with..... Many people have said they love it better with TC off...well If I wanted that why not a solid axle? why not just drive my last chevelle ss.....? Why not just do one legged burnouts? If your having such drifting problems when 1/2 way down a track traction control and stabillitrac save your bacon... I would suggest finding a different track , and BTW my car can and has got fishy in about every gear if I drive too aggressively/ especially in wet weather, and I do not over indulge it, that's when you get out of it : and my suspension is modified.

SO unless you have a lot of mods your not showing..... for me I have more than I can list. And BTW growing up in the 60s manual steering sucks but if that's all you know you go with it, things were invented for a reason.
Old 05-25-2016, 06:34 PM   #36
ghosted
BCS Auto

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS376 View Post
Cars with manual steering have slower steering gear than cars with power steering, so no, operating a car with factory manual steering was far different than operating a power steering car with inoperative power steering. A modern Camaro does not have the sort of steering gear ratio to be able to function well if the power steering is disabled.

The OP is indeed WAY in the wrong and what he is proposing is dangerous. Don't encourage him.
There's manual steering, power steering, and then electrically assisted power steering. OP is not talking about disabling power steering, but the electric assist, they're both different animals. In theory, you could disable the electric assist while not losing your standard power steering, but that's not my area of expertise.

Therefore, in summation, doing this isn't dangerous, as you don't negate power steering entirely, just the new(we)fangled electric assist which a lot of people actually don't like.

BCS Auto on Facebook - - - Follow me on Instagram @datv6tho & @officialbcsauto
ghosted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 07:14 PM   #37
Motorboy8769

Quote:
There's manual steering, power steering, and then electrically assisted power steering. OP is not talking about disabling power steering, but the electric assist, they're both different animals. In theory, you could disable the electric assist while not losing your standard power steering, but that's not my area of expertise.

Therefore, in summation, doing this isn't dangerous, as you don't negate power steering entirely, just the new(we)fangled electric assist which a lot of people actually don't like.

Ah ok thats what it is then. When I run the car on the jack the electric assist must shut off.
Old 05-25-2016, 07:19 PM   #38
Motorboy8769

The powersteering or assist..? Did that stock with absolutely 0 modifications. I said that earlier it cleared right away then. now tuned it takes a while so as I just learned ^^^ (reason for posting this thread) I don't want the electric assist coming on in the middle of the race. I encourage everyone who don't know what I am talking about to go out jack the rear of the car In the air with the back tires all the way off the ground put it in 4th gear and let the clutch out hold it at about 2k and watch the dash light up. Then lower the car and drive you will feel what I am talking about. I don't know about the early years but newer ones stock modified tuned not tuned don't matter it will happen.
Old 05-25-2016, 07:48 PM   #39
Synner

Drives: cars
The issue you are experiencing is related to burnouts and the rear tires operating when the fronts are motionless. Turning off the electric steering will not change that. It's tied to the stability control and ABS systems of the car. The ABS system can't be tuned out.

Extreme innovation sells a manual rack conversion for their tube frame cradle, I haven't seen anyone attempt it on an electric steering system but as I said, that wouldn't alter what you're trying to fix which is the car freaking out due to tire rotation.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 08:07 PM   #40
Motorboy8769

Yes that's what I'm talking about. I'm not wanting to turn off the assist to fix the abs but disable the assis cause when and is triggered. So it don't disable during a burnout or warming the car up then come back in the middle of the race
Old 05-25-2016, 08:32 PM   #41
Synner

Drives: cars
When you turn the nannies all off, hold the button down for 9 seconds, the lights will come on but it shouldn't alter anything and the lights will go away in a few minutes. Competition mode will still have the issues you're experiencing.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 08:57 PM   #42
Motorboy8769

Even with tc off warming it up on a jack turns the lights on and disables the power assist. The burnout don't turn it on but it resets the stabilitrack and powersteering after driving for a while