Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-28-2010, 10:18 AM   #1
Johnnyma45
Former Camaro Owner

Drives: 2011 Dodge Charger R/T
2011 SS Detnews review - 2011 Camaro SS Fits In With Classic Cruisers

http://detnews.com/article/20100828/...assic-cruisers

A nice review that talks more about the Camaro as a cruiser.

Quote:
2011 Chevrolet Camaro SS fits in with classic cruisers
Scott Burgess / The Detroit News

Just when you thought you heard the last of anything to do with this year's Woodward Dream Cruise, I have one more story about a car to share: The 2011 Chevrolet Camaro SS.

During last week's Cruise O'Rama, I was fortunate enough to take the biggest and baddest Camaro built today out along Woodward Avenue.

A future classic, the 2011 Camaro improves upon an already great car.

Park it at 13 Mile and Woodward and people will walk by, lean over the open hood and whistle quietly to themselves. They'll be struck by that menacing gaze from the front end and the small windows that add to its edgy exterior.

Of all of the current pony cars, the Camaro is the best modern interpretation of those that hit the avenue last Saturday. It's futuristic looking with sharp edges at every corner. That big gold bow tie on its grille and large intake below the bumper add to the distinctive look.

Its profile is beefy and powerful. It looks like a football lineman with 20-inch wheels.

But really, this Camaro SS was made for cruising. So start up that 6.2-liter V-8 and rumble on down the road.
Camaro made for cruising

After joining other cruisers along Woodward, I had two complaints. The first was the traffic. It was awful. The second: Why was that minivan in the right lane? Classics to the right, minivans to the left; the rules are pretty simple.

This Camaro certainly belongs on the right. First, there is the V-8 under the hood. Try as some carmakers might, nothing sounds better than a V-8, except maybe a V-10 or W-12. I understand how more carmakers will avoid using these engines in the future, but the Camaro SS is the perfect time and the right vehicle for it. The power is incredible.

For the SS model, there are two different 6.2-liter V-8s. The first is the 426 horsepower, 420 pound-feet of torque LS3 V-8, which comes with the six-speed manual transmission. My test vehicle had the 400-horsepower, 410-pound feet L99 V-8, which includes the six-speed automatic.

While I would prefer a manual for a car like this, I found the automatic perfect for the stop-go-stop-stop pace of the Dream Cruise.

The massive 14-inch disc brakes with Brembo calipers were also nice to have and used more often than the accelerator pedal. If I wanted to shred some rubber through a little brake torquing, turning off the electronic stability control and then hitting the gas and the brake at the same time, I could have. But the Royal Oak police on bicycles would chase me down and write me a ticket. (I find something morally wrong with a police officer on foot pulling over a car.)

Info floats on the windshield

New for 2011 is the heads up display, which shows loads of information on the windshield. The display actually looks like it's floating somewhere in front of the car, the spot you want your eyes looking for the beginning. In the past, the display showed just the digital read out of your speed. However this display shows the songs playing on your iPhone connected through a USB port as you control it with your thumbs on the steering wheel. (As the song starts, the name appears in the display and then it is replaced by the speed.) During the Dream Cruise, I once hit a speed of 8 miles per hour.

But on the way home from the cruise, I was able to top that speed very quickly. Actually, I was able to top a lot of speeds that I do not want to admit to here.

Really, the combination of the Camaro's independent suspension, low center of gravity and rear wheel drive makes it an absolute thrill ride on the open road. That V-8 lets you blast off and you can feel the power in your stomach as that hand of torque presses into your belly.

Perhaps the best part of the new Camaro over its early ancestors is all of the amenities. Air conditioning was my favorite modern feature that so many of those classics lacked. During Cruise week, and it was a weeklong festival of all things automotive, it was nice to blast the AC, roll the windows down and listen to the mechanical music surrounding me. Sitting in a well bolstered seat, cranking tunes with one arm on the window ledge (except when driving through Troy) felt perfect.

Overall, the dash could use a little more character. The simple and modern center stack sticks out at the base as if it's trying to pop through the plastic on the dash. The deep-seated speedometer and tachometer look chunky and cool. The brushed aluminum trim has a plastic twinge but still looks nice.

At night, the inside looks great. The soft blue glow from the instruments and the blue lines on the doors (lights are hidden behind the door inserts). They create a very cool blue slash on each door.

The Camaro SS may not be the perfect vehicle -- small quibbles here or there -- but for this car, the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. And you don't have to drive along Woodward Avenue to know how special of a car the new Camaro really is. It looks good, feels good and rides great.

What more could a cruiser ask for?
Old 08-28-2010, 01:11 PM   #2
LS1owner

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS- SOLD!!
I can't believe the amount of positive reviews for this car. GM really hit a homerun on this one.
LS1owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 01:36 PM   #3
04Ram2500Hemi

Drives: 04 Ram 2500 & 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
That's a pretty good review. I've only had a chance to put 3500 miles on my car, but so far I've really enjoyed it.
04Ram2500Hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 01:09 PM   #4
GEEo
OKCamaros

Drives: 4 banger Diesel
Nice Review!

I love cruising my camaro!
GEEo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 01:18 PM   #5
khabboub
Tampa Gulf Coast Family

Drives: Sold c7, in the market!
this review is really good. its true, the car is comfy.
khabboub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 01:18 PM   #6
Vega

Drives: 91' Camaro RS
Send a message via Yahoo to Vega
I like the positive feedback, i just wish GM would have upgraded something, anything for the new model year haha, better gearing? New V8 cam? something? haha, i mean yeah the 4th gens were basically the same for each half of its run but still, its the muscle car wars now and you gotta be on the ball every year >=} haha
Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 01:34 PM   #7
Bonemaro

Drives: 2010 RJT 1SS M6
Send a message via AIM to Bonemaro
Very nice review!
Bonemaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 01:37 PM   #8
overhaulengines

Drives: Red 2SS/RS M6
it is truly an amazing car. when i drive down a busy street, my kids and i laugh at some of the reactions and some of the faces people make.

Lupe
overhaulengines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 01:38 PM   #9
2SS2011

Drives: 2011 2SS / RS Imperial Blue
I have to say that I love my 2011 2SS. I traded a 2008 Corvette 1LT coupe in to get it and at first I was worried that I'd keep feeling "that it's not a vette" and be dissapointed. However it is very fun to drive and it feels just as powerful as the vette to me - obviously it's not going to be as light on it's feet, but the Camaro is very impressive.

The biggest thing for me is that now I can enjoy cruising with the wife and my two kids in the back seat. It's a much more fun family experience.
2SS2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 01:45 PM   #10
mikaltima

Drives: Ordered: Victory Red 2SS
I've had my 5th Gen just over 1 year now and I have over 12,000 miles. When I first got her I said that I was not going to roll up the mileage but once I get behind the wheel and drive I don't want to stop..

Order Placed-- 7/4/09
3000- Accepted by Production Control:TPW 8/17/09
3100- Sequenced:
3300- Schedule for Production: 8/17/09
3400- Broadcast: 8/17/09
3800- Produced: 8/20/09
4200- Shipped:8/20/09
5000- Delivered to Dealer: 8/28/09
6000- Delivered to Customer: 8/29/09

WAITED 57 DAYS.... WELL WORTH THE WAIT!!
mikaltima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 01:48 PM   #11
mikaltima

Drives: Ordered: Victory Red 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS2011 View Post
I have to say that I love my 2011 2SS. I traded a 2008 Corvette 1LT coupe in to get it and at first I was worried that I'd keep feeling "that it's not a vette" and be dissapointed. However it is very fun to drive and it feels just as powerful as the vette to me - obviously it's not going to be as light on it's feet, but the Camaro is very impressive.

The biggest thing for me is that now I can enjoy cruising with the wife and my two kids in the back seat. It's a much more fun family experience.
You must have small children for them to fit in the back seat of this car ;-)

Order Placed-- 7/4/09
3000- Accepted by Production Control:TPW 8/17/09
3100- Sequenced:
3300- Schedule for Production: 8/17/09
3400- Broadcast: 8/17/09
3800- Produced: 8/20/09
4200- Shipped:8/20/09
5000- Delivered to Dealer: 8/28/09
6000- Delivered to Customer: 8/29/09

WAITED 57 DAYS.... WELL WORTH THE WAIT!!
mikaltima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 01:54 PM   #12
Caspers2SSRS
Caspers2SSRS

Drives: Summit White 2010 2SS/RS Camaro
Quote:
Vega ........
I like the positive feedback, i just wish GM would have upgraded something, anything for the new model year haha, better gearing? New V8 cam? something? haha, i mean yeah the 4th gens were basically the same for each half of its run but still, its the muscle car wars now and you gotta be on the ball every year >=} haha

Is something really missing, if everything stays virtually the same.

In analogy...........there's really no need to fix something that isn't broke, nor improve upon success, especially in an spontaniously wavering economy. The think tanks in Detroit seem to be cashing in on the nature of human nature and wanten desires. Consumers aka automaniac's are complusive when choices are given. We've all seen the pages of spangles and sparklers of magazines and brochures offering us the opportunity to individualize our automobiles........and hence.

Its seems to me to be a well thought out business plan on the part of GM............one needs to consider GM's interest in moving those stockroom shelves full of highly prized aftermarket performance parts, theres plenty now built and available specifically for the Gen5's, many will be added now that the car is a two year model hit. Employee's desperately needing their jobs there and well on the contract manufacturing end of the whole of the automotive industry will be taking and filling phone and on-line orders and thus the new GM........will survive, ringing in $. It seems that Muscle car owners of past generations appreciated building up their rides.

On the other economic side of things its easier to get more folks in cars ( Find them Financing) if the sticker prices are not forced beyond reasonable levels adding factory supplied frillings. Those can be purchased by cash or card afterwards and not be included in the dealers base costs and thus the initial credit limit requirements be met by consumers...............

The 2012 model's will hit dealer inventories, in the near same form and fashion as the 2010's and 11's and the cycle of survival will continue............we must all pray. I personally believe the new GM surviving on a permanent stable level in the market place is the only upgrading needed. Just my .02

Last edited by Caspers2SSRS; 09-02-2010 at 02:32 PM.
Caspers2SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 08:43 PM   #13
Vega

Drives: 91' Camaro RS
Send a message via Yahoo to Vega
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caspers2SSRS View Post
Is something really missing, if everything stays virtually the same.

In analogy...........there's really no need to fix something that isn't broke, nor improve upon success, especially in an spontaniously wavering economy. The think tanks in Detroit seem to be cashing in on the nature of human nature and wanten desires. Consumers aka automaniac's are complusive when choices are given. We've all seen the pages of spangles and sparklers of magazines and brochures offering us the opportunity to individualize our automobiles........and hence.

Its seems to me to be a well thought out business plan on the part of GM............one needs to consider GM's interest in moving those stockroom shelves full of highly prized aftermarket performance parts, theres plenty now built and available specifically for the Gen5's, many will be added now that the car is a two year model hit. Employee's desperately needing their jobs there and well on the contract manufacturing end of the whole of the automotive industry will be taking and filling phone and on-line orders and thus the new GM........will survive, ringing in $. It seems that Muscle car owners of past generations appreciated building up their rides.

On the other economic side of things its easier to get more folks in cars ( Find them Financing) if the sticker prices are not forced beyond reasonable levels adding factory supplied frillings. Those can be purchased by cash or card afterwards and not be included in the dealers base costs and thus the initial credit limit requirements be met by consumers...............

The 2012 model's will hit dealer inventories, in the near same form and fashion as the 2010's and 11's and the cycle of survival will continue............we must all pray. I personally believe the new GM surviving on a permanent stable level in the market place is the only upgrading needed. Just my .02
Hey to all their own oppinion i was just giving mine =P
The Camaro was a home run right out of the gate in 2010 and people may argue it but i personally think the Camaro single handedly saved GM, the hype for that car got people interested in GM again even if not everyone went and bought a Camaro, it got people back into the dealerships and thats what matters, whether they left with a Camaro or a Malibu it was still the Camaro that brought the business in haha
But it was amazing the first year it came out, its still amazing yes, but you cant just let it run its course ya know? Ford has shown they're gonna be on the ball every year, the 5.0's return in the GT, now the Boss 302, i just feel like GM needs to have this enthusiasm about it as well, sure the Z28 is coming but thats been in the works for years, its not a year-by-year basis like Ford.
I mean i understand the theory "if its not broke dont fix it" but honestly what Camaro ever was or will be "broke"? haha =P its not that its broke its just that id like to see a fire-back now. The 2010 was its own thing entirely and now i want to see something new and exciting to get into with the 2011. All GM would need is a "track pack" option, more aggressive gearing, stiffer suspension, etc.

PS: And as far as the frills go i agree with you, ive always been annoyed with the new "muscle/luxury" trend, muscle cars are stripped down performance, not comfort items, if you want luxury go buy a Cadillac, if you want luxury and performance go buy a CTS-V or a Euro car cause if thats what you're looking for muscle is not for you
Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 09:32 PM   #14
tgdtown

Drives: Cyber Gray 2SS -RS
Classics to the right, minivans to the left; the rules are pretty simple.

Now that's CLASSIC!!!
tgdtown is offline   Reply With Quote