Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 09-24-2011, 01:52 PM   #127
MyIBMssRS

Drives: 10 IBM SS RS/14 1500 Z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by spen5151 View Post
Exactly, I almost feel like I should have waited and not purchased the SS, hope the values of our cars are still fairly high next year because I cannot afford 2 nice toys and I definetly want the ZL1!!!
I feel the same way! Wish I had more patience.
MyIBMssRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 02:27 PM   #128
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKreme15 View Post
There's a ZR1 at 2:05 with ZL1 wheels in the track testing video
They're actually Corvette-specific wheels you can get in the Z06/ZR1 performance packages....I dunno about you guys, but I like the ZL1's wheels better. Much more sharp and angular.
Name:  ZR1capture.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  103.8 KB

Name:  Z06PDE.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  122.9 KB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan View Post
I heard they have slowly began to assemble the engines together in Oshawa.
They don't assemble engines in Oshawa...St. Catherine's maybe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z Boss View Post
Most of us have modified Camaros but the technology in the ZL1 suspension has made me rethink this. What can an aftermarket company develop to sell for a profit that has the level of engineering and research $$ that Chevrolet has put into this car? MRControl improvements \ bushings? Are you kidding? Did you see that car circling N'Burg? I understand the need for us to play with our cars but this is similar to when EFI came out - took a long time for us lay people to understand the technology. Regarding the engine, maybe headers, pulley change and revised engine management by a tuner company to "out hp" the ZR1 Vette, but not much else IMO is needed - could mess up a great package!!
The aftermarket can do things better than the ZL1. But there are trade-offs. If you go with coilovers, chances are you'll get a more controlled ride with slightly better handling in terms of numbers -- but you won't have a computer guiding you through a turn...or compensating for squat...you can't adjust stiffness from the interior, etc...some might not like that, others might find it doesn't bother them a bit.

While Chevy has put an unimaginable amount of R&D hours into the ZL1...aftermarket companies put R&D work into only their specific product. It'd be interesting to see how the numbers work out, but I imagine, a company like Pedders or other suspension group, for instance, would have more R&D invested in a spring rate or a sway-bar than Chevy...because OEMs specialize in whole cars...not individual components.

I'll admit, and it's totally childish...but I love the technology behind the ZL1...if I'm lucky enough to drive one...I likely won't be changing any major components in the near-term.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarrzz View Post
My WOOSAH is again calm and all is right in the world.

I agree with Snuffy: you deserve it, Brother. I sure hope it works out so you get your ZL-Dragonmobile.
Thank you. Very much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blufin View Post
Pretty sure that's not wheelhop. Every time I've been a witness to wheelhop it has been a lot more violent, a lot more movement from the rear end. That sounds like they had the computer giving just the right hp/tq to get the optimum launch, and the repetitive chirping was the result. The "optimum" launch has the tires moving just slightly faster than the vehicle. Any more hp/tq and it would spin too much, any less and it wouldn't be up to it's complete potential. Sounds like they did a good job.
Once those times are posted from that testing I think we'll be impressed. It was the perfect time of year. Testing in winter will yield vast improvement in 1/4 mile times compared to summer. My car runs about .4 slower in the summer compared to winter. With some good air and good traction maybe some 11.80's posted by GM. That would be pretty decent.
I agree...

(^) That's wheel hop as I've always known it (obviously to varying degrees)...

I just watched the ZL1 video again (like a needed a reason...), and in the launches they're showing...I don't see wheel-hop...especially the shots from 1:00...they all look very clean to me. The run at 2:05 (corrected PTM on "track") is BEAUTIFUL....
Old 09-24-2011, 02:57 PM   #129
hv92

Drives: .
Oh btw, did i mention there is also going to be an AUTOMATIC ZL1? Yeah. I'm too excited.
Old 09-24-2011, 03:52 PM   #130
Brad02SS

Drives: 02 35th LE SS, 08 G8 GT
An SS could be made to handle better than the ZL1 but it won't be as comfortable for daily driving, that's the beauty of the magnetic suspension and the different modes.
Old 09-24-2011, 08:32 PM   #131
blufin

Drives: Fire Engine
Not bad. But this is more like what I was thinking.
Scroll down a little for the caddy video.

[url]http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2009-cadillac-cts-v-general-discussion/219468-video-severe-wheel-hop-2011-sedan.html[/url

The chirping is what happens just before wheelhop, and wheelhop just before all out smoky burnout. That "clunking" sound is wheelhop. That's the suspension beating itself to death. That guy lets of it, but I've been at the track many times when guys will ride that out till it grabs. Ouch!
Sold
blufin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 08:34 PM   #132
blufin

Drives: Fire Engine

Sorry, Its been a long night.
Sold
blufin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 05:18 PM   #133
BacktoGM

Drives: 2019 Black SS
OMG