Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 08-15-2011, 09:12 PM   #1
B-Rex

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Question Trailing arm advice

I'm going to be geting some trailing arms to help get rid of wheel hop on my launches. I dont do auto-cross, i just go to the drag strip every other weekish, and am to the point where i feel trailing arms are the wisest upgrade.

i would just like to hear a few comments on what you guys are using (brands) and any suggestions you have concerning cuting down wheel hop on my launches, thanks
Old 08-15-2011, 09:18 PM   #2
carbon8

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS,2008 Hayabusa
I changed my trailing arms and it didn't help that much. The only thing that finally stoped the wheel hop was getting tires made for drag racing. Wheel hop is your tires trying to get traction.
I'm sure you new that but I thought I would put it out there.

---
- Daniel
carbon8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 09:24 PM   #3
Synner

Drives: cars
Read this on how I cured mine:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=159068

Trailing arms would be Pfadt and BMR as the top two. There's a couple others out there too. I'll be going Pfadt just because I like the weight reduction benefit but you can't go wrong with either.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 09:36 PM   #4
B-Rex

Tires are also on the bucket list, but id like to have a spare set of wheels as the car is my daily driver, however i hear you on getting some good drag tires.

i have access to a lift, and a buddy (we work with each other on our cars) so i will research some more info on the bushings. im still pretty green when it comes to working this in depth on cars, i really only know basic things, but can follow directions most of the time.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:46 PM   #5
carbon8

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS,2008 Hayabusa
I don't know about pfadt, but BMR comes with good instructions on everything I've ordered.

---
- Daniel
carbon8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 09:47 PM   #6
Synner

Drives: cars
You can always do inserts on the cradle bushings if you're worried about the work but I believe the full bushing is a far superior solution to the inserts. Nothing was really technically difficult just a bit time consuming and tough on the arms working above your head for that long.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 10:07 PM   #7
B-Rex

so this is what ive found as far as bushings go, and for the price and what they sund like they can do for traction it seems to be a no brainer.

http://www.bmrsuspension.com/index.c...&productid=455
Old 08-15-2011, 10:10 PM   #8
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
The single biggest source of IRS movement is found in the sub-frame bushes. That is the foundation of your 5th Gens IRS. It is also the place to start your suspension modifications. Here is a link to The Book on 5th Gen Suspension. Reading through it will give you a good understanding of how your ZETA II chassis functions.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 08:22 AM   #9
Cyber Gray
Wind Rider

Drives: ZL1 19 White; Jeep 5.7 GC 15
So Trailing arms & tie rods VS cradle bushing ?

Which one comes first?
Old 08-16-2011, 09:58 AM   #10
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Gray View Post
So Trailing arms & tie rods VS cradle bushing ?

Which one comes first?
The trailing arms mount to the sub-frame. The sub-frame mounts to the monocoque. The sub=frame bushes hold the entire IRS. In terms of function, they are the foundation. You start with the foundation and build your 'house' on it.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 10:08 AM   #11
toilets

Drives: 2010 camaro
As Pete said. Get the SF bushings and you will be very pleased. Then if you want, get the trailing arm bushings and watch your wheel hop dissappear.
toilets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 10:53 AM   #12
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
There are a couple different ways you can go to eliminate wheel hop on the Camaro. The weekend drag racer can see some good improvements by just the addition of our Camaro Rear Trailing Arms without any impact to ride quality. Our rear trailing arm is lighter and stronger than the stock piece, and comes with polyurethane bushings the replace the soft factory bushings. It's a great upgrade as a first step for anyone looking to mitigate wheel hop.

The second way to eliminate wheel hop is with a set of Pfadt Race Engineering Solid Subframe mounts. The Camaro's rear suspension is mounted to the chassis and insulated with soft rubber bushings, and on hard launches or during aggressive track maneuvers the subframe can move relative to the chassis. That movement creates a mushy feeling in the rear end, and can contribute to wheel hop problems at the strip. The Corvette has had it's rear subframe directly mounted to the chassis for years, and we felt that a Solid Mount was the best way to give our customers the performance gains they are looking for, without effecting noise/vibration/harshness levels in the cabin. Here is a video we put together demonstrating the difference before and after installation of our Solid Subframe Mounts.

I would start with a set of Rear Trailing Arms if you're looking for increased traction and decreased wheel hop at the strip, and potentially the Solid Subframe Mounts if you're looking for the best solution to your wheel hop!

PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 11:28 AM   #13
chrisp@lsrperformance.com

Drives: 2010 yellow ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Rex View Post
I'm going to be geting some trailing arms to help get rid of wheel hop on my launches. I dont do auto-cross, i just go to the drag strip every other weekish, and am to the point where i feel trailing arms are the wisest upgrade.

i would just like to hear a few comments on what you guys are using (brands) and any suggestions you have concerning cuting down wheel hop on my launches, thanks
I would suggest a couple things:

1.Rear subframe bushing inserts:

These bushings insert into the open voids of the the factory rubber O.E. rear subframe bushings and provide additional support reducing rear subframe movement. With better control of the rear subframe you can expect improved response to steering inputs as well as a reduction in wheel hop under hard acceleration

2.Rear differential bushings:

Along with the soft rear subframe bushings, the soft rear differential bushings are a contributor to the wheel hop these vehicle experience under hard launches. Wheel hop can also in extreme cases cause the differential to fail completely. Upgrading the differential bushings will help protect against this kind of failure.

**just my 2 cents***

Chris@lsrperformance.com
lsrperformance.com
229-245-9045
chrisp@lsrperformance.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 12:06 PM   #14
B-Rex

thanks for all the help and comments, im learning a lot about the suspension in these cars, and will be going to trailing/diff bushings route, followed by subframe if the trail/diff doesnt work.