Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 07-26-2012, 10:35 PM   #1
CWI
Helping Build America

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS,LS3 2013 Duramax 3500HD
Ordered MS-8. Any advice to optimize?

I fianally ordered an MS-8 sound processor.

Any advice from people that have one as far as getting the most out of it or suggestions about install or setup?

Would appreciate any tips from users/installers.
Old 07-26-2012, 11:01 PM   #2
darkrider01
Aural Assault Vehicle

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS/RS, 2015 Sierra Denali
I love talking about this thing:

1. One tip I read (and used) was go with 24db octaves for setup. The default is 12db I believe, but 24db worked great for me.
2. If you have a frequent passenger (in my case, my wife), get them to sit in the passenger seat and do the setup. I have mine set to "front" instead of "driver" now to give my wife a great experience as well. It sounds almost as good to me as having it set to "driver".
3. Read this review over at DIYMA. It might be a little long, but it helped me a lot.

I couldn't find anywhere to really mount the display, so I ran the display cable into the glove box. My display and remote remain loose inside my glove box (encased by my removable face cloth cover from my radio). I don't keep much in my glove box, so YMMV. Listen to the MS-8 with Logic 7 on and then with it off. Some people do not like the surround sound effect. I like it, but again, YMMV.
Power Mods * K&N Typhoon CAI, Flowmaster American Thunder cat-back exhaust, Hurst Short Throw Shifter Exterior Mods * Black Phantom Grille * 22" T.I.S. 537MS wheels w/ Nitto INVO rubber * OEM body kit Suspension Mods * BC Racing Coilovers * Lakewood Strut Tower Brace Audio Mods * Stinger SPP 2250 Battery * Mosconi 6to8v8 w/ RCD * Pioneer AVH-X7500BT * Scosche Dash Kit * 2 - Mosconi AS200.4 * 2 - JL Audio 13W6v2 * Focal 165KRX2 Power (active) * Mosconi Gladen One 240.2 * Rockford Fosgate Power T1692
darkrider01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 12:08 AM   #3
CWI
Helping Build America

Thanks darkrider, I plan on display kin the glove box or console. Not many places on this dash to mount anything.
I can't wait to get the experience most have with it. My system sounds pretty good now but imaging and soundstage are lacking.I've got Focal KRX2 drivers and tweets driven by an Alpine PDX 4.150. Makes the Focals sound good. I had to put the tweets in the door just above the window switches. Had to move the mirror control uphill a bit, but highs come right at ya.

One thing i'm curious about. Do you need to set the amps and crossovers flat and let the MS-8 take over from there?

I have a Harmon Kardon receiver in the house (7.1) that sounds great. It uses the same technology for tuning.
Old 07-27-2012, 12:30 AM   #4
CWI
Helping Build America

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkrider01 View Post
I love talking about this thing:
3. Read this review over at DIYMA. It might be a little long, but it helped me a lot..
I read that review a long time ago. Good review. I've been looking at getting this thing for a long time, just had a few bills to get paid and a couple other things in line ahead of it.
Kinda like the supercharged LSX. It's going to happen, just got some things in line ahead of it.

I'll probably have to wait till the 4th and 5th to install. I need to finish Dynamat and foam under the carpet and reroute some wire for audio and a couple other things. Planning on doing the roof too. Trying to get accoustics a good as possible.
Old 07-27-2012, 03:39 PM   #5
CrutchfieldBrooke

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 1968 Camaro
You will LOVE the difference the MS-8 makes in the system once you get it set up properly. Just 2 days ago I listened to a super-nice audio system in a GMC Topkick "Ironhide" truck that a couple of the JBL guys brought down with the MS-8 in it. System sounded good without it, but fantastic with it! Good luck with your install.
CrutchfieldBrooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 10:02 PM   #6
darkrider01
Aural Assault Vehicle

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWIweldace View Post
One thing i'm curious about. Do you need to set the amps and crossovers flat and let the MS-8 take over from there?
I set my amps to All Pass (flat) and have all my gains set at 0. I do plan on adjusting my gains up to 50%. I will be turning my gains up because my radio needed a volume level of 30 (out of 40) to get a good signal to the MS-8. I wouldn't say that it's "quiet" at 30, but I'd like to have it much louder at 30. I still have my Punch EQ knob up front to turn the sub way up, but for tuning, I left it at 0 also. It allows me to "muddy it up" if I want. I turned the MS-8 volume all the way up and use my head unit to control volume.

I start tearing my car apart again tomorrow evening to replace the MS-8 with the new Rockford Fosgate 3Sixty.3. I'm having high anxiety right now because I'm really afraid that I won't be able to get the 3Sixty.3 to sound as good as the MS-8. If I can't the 3Sixty straight, I'll just put the MS-8 back in. It's really the most impressive car audio product I have ever seen. What it can do with just 5-10 minutes of tuning is damn near magic.
Power Mods * K&N Typhoon CAI, Flowmaster American Thunder cat-back exhaust, Hurst Short Throw Shifter Exterior Mods * Black Phantom Grille * 22" T.I.S. 537MS wheels w/ Nitto INVO rubber * OEM body kit Suspension Mods * BC Racing Coilovers * Lakewood Strut Tower Brace Audio Mods * Stinger SPP 2250 Battery * Mosconi 6to8v8 w/ RCD * Pioneer AVH-X7500BT * Scosche Dash Kit * 2 - Mosconi AS200.4 * 2 - JL Audio 13W6v2 * Focal 165KRX2 Power (active) * Mosconi Gladen One 240.2 * Rockford Fosgate Power T1692
Old 07-28-2012, 06:53 AM   #7
CWI
Helping Build America

I'm looking at doing the install next weekend. I have two days off and have some other things to do while i'm digging into this. Seat and carpet pull, Dynamat and 3/8" foam, wire routing, lighting install. More than one day job. When I'm done with the floor, the roof will be all that's left for accoustic treatment. Should be sounding awesome. Polk 6x9's will be the weekest part of the system. They will get replaced with Focal next year sometime.
Old 07-28-2012, 02:21 PM   #8
The 2010 Sin
Dont H8 Me Cuz U Aint Me

Drives: 2016 SS Sedan, 2017 Explorer Sport
Hey! My car is one of the Team JBL SQ vehicles that won Iasca world finals last year. Thanks to the MS-8. My big secrets with the system (assuming your keeping factory speaker system).

When you go to set up your system using the headphones have the output on your ms-8 turned down to about -15db also make sure you're in a very quiet area when tuning. Tune from both the driver and passenger seat.

Logic 7: Logic 7 is wonderful and amazing. *except for on radio stations.. radio quality is terrible IMO thats why I havent listened to radio in years.

Graphic EQ: remember when truly tuning a system you never want to add DB to any frequency unless you have to. always remove because anything over flat is not going to be accurate.
Old 07-28-2012, 03:56 PM   #9
CWI
Helping Build America

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 2010 Sin View Post
Hey! My car is one of the Team JBL SQ vehicles that won Iasca world finals last year. Thanks to the MS-8. My big secrets with the system (assuming your keeping factory speaker system).

When you go to set up your system using the headphones have the output on your ms-8 turned down to about -15db also make sure you're in a very quiet area when tuning. Tune from both the driver and passenger seat.

Logic 7: Logic 7 is wonderful and amazing. *except for on radio stations.. radio quality is terrible IMO thats why I havent listened to radio in years.

Graphic EQ: remember when truly tuning a system you never want to add DB to any frequency unless you have to. always remove because anything over flat is not going to be accurate.
Head unit is only factory component. Got the MS-8 today. Install next weekend. I will take the manual to work tonight for study.
Old 07-28-2012, 03:57 PM   #10
CWI
Helping Build America

I am installing it in the factory amp location. I should get the mount from Steve monday.
Old 07-28-2012, 07:08 PM   #11
CWI
Helping Build America

In the manual it states that the MS-8 must control the turn on to the amps. Any chance this eliminates the amp thump in the subs on shut off?
Old 07-28-2012, 08:11 PM   #12
The 2010 Sin
Dont H8 Me Cuz U Aint Me

Quote:
In the manual it states that the MS-8 must control the turn on to the amps. Any chance this eliminates the amp thump in the subs on shut off?
That's a little bit tricky but you can set up a delay for the turn on which helps. also tying back to our other convo. With the head unit being the factory setup (AS MINE IS ALSO) what I said before matters even more. ALSO.. you want to make sure your headunit EQ is set completely flat and Fade and Balance are centered.. alot of people forget then try to tune their MS-8 and it sounds like a fat piggy. :-)

Zach
Old 07-28-2012, 09:38 PM   #13
darkrider01
Aural Assault Vehicle

Quote:
This is one hell of question, and I wish I could answer that one for you. The only way I was able to completely eliminate the thump with the factory head unit was to use the METRA Trigger. It's all spelled out in the thread I have linked in my signature. Not all amps have the pop problem, but mine sure did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 2010 Sin View Post
That's a little bit tricky but you can set up a delay for the turn on which helps. also tying back to our other convo. With the head unit being the factory setup (AS MINE IS ALSO) what I said before matters even more. ALSO.. you want to make sure your headunit EQ is set completely flat and Fade and Balance are centered.. alot of people forget then try to tune their MS-8 and it sounds like a fat piggy. :-)
Zach
I never had a problem with turn on, it was only turn off. Best bet for you CWIweldace is to try it and see. The problem with the factory head unit is that it outputs an audio signal after the radio is off, for a few seconds. The factory head has a mute signal that it sends to the factory amp that keeps the factory amp silent. Aftermarket amps do not have a mute function, so there in lies the problem. The MS-8 may not have a issue with pop, but you really need to use it to turn on your amps.

The rest of the advice by Zach is spot on. Setting everything to 0 on the factory head is extremely important.
Old 07-28-2012, 10:01 PM   #14
The 2010 Sin
Dont H8 Me Cuz U Aint Me

@Darkrider01 :-) Are we going to see your car at spring break nationals next year? I need some competition in the sound quality department aside from my teammates.. I'll be full Logic 7.2 however I'll only be running my front sub during competition.