Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Closed Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 04:59 PM   #1
HurstPerformance

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS and 2016 Camaro SS
Video: How-To Install a Hurst Short Shifter

Hurst Shifters presents a how-to install of a Hurst Short Shifter on a 2010 Chevy Camaro. Unlike other shifters, the Hurst Short Shifter is simple to install and significantly reduces the throw of the shifter. Hurst also sells a variety of shift knobs for the Hurst Short Shifter that can be seen at the end of the video.

Simple to install with classic Hurst stick and round ball
combination, this is the MUST HAVE companion to your muscle car!

■ CNC machined stainless steel stick assembly
■ PTFE (Teflon) lined spherical pivot bearing
■ Shift throw reduced for quicker shifts
■ Smooth positive mechanism
■ Bolt on classic chrome plated stick and white knob
■ CNC machined stick adapter accepts Classic Hurst stick
Old 07-23-2014, 05:38 PM   #2
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Thanks! I've built my own engines, installed suspensions, convertible roofs, etc but it's always nice to see a video. My Hurst short throw has been sitting on my shelf. Would have installed it on my two weeks off, but well, that wasn't to be.
Old 07-25-2014, 02:19 PM   #3
HurstPerformance

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBlair View Post
Thanks! I've built my own engines, installed suspensions, convertible roofs, etc but it's always nice to see a video. My Hurst short throw has been sitting on my shelf. Would have installed it on my two weeks off, but well, that wasn't to be.
I agree. Regardless of experience level, it is always nice to have some form of material to use as a reference when working on any project. Videos make life much easier for everyone.
Old 08-04-2014, 03:35 PM   #4
mwendorf3

Drives: 2013 SS Vert IOM
I've had my 2013 SS Vert on jack stands 2 separate time attempting this. Both times I just don't see how to get at this without removing the drive shaft.

This video was taken off a 2010 and I've watched it over and over trying to figure it out. What am I missing here? Are there differences between the 2010 and 2013s that would require some additional removals?

Thanks,
Marvin
Old 08-06-2014, 06:07 PM   #5
HurstPerformance

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwendorf3 View Post
I've had my 2013 SS Vert on jack stands 2 separate time attempting this. Both times I just don't see how to get at this without removing the drive shaft.

This video was taken off a 2010 and I've watched it over and over trying to figure it out. What am I missing here? Are there differences between the 2010 and 2013s that would require some additional removals?

Thanks,
Marvin
Have you tried loosening the 4 rear transmission cross member bolts? If you loosen those 4 bolts, be careful to not fully remove them, the tranny and drive shaft can move down enough to provide the space necessary to remove the stock shifter.
Old 08-11-2014, 01:21 PM   #6
djpelosi

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
I used this video to install my shifter about a month ago. The only hard part was getting the new shifter connected to the shift linkage with the new steel bushings. It was acting like with the new bushings it was too wide to go in, but after about 25 minutes of messing with it, I finally got it in.
Bo White Ported Throttle Body
Hurst Short Throw Shifter
Best Time: 12.43 @ 114, 1.99 60' on stock wheels and stock tires
Build Thread
Old 08-19-2014, 09:00 PM   #7
mwendorf3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt@HurstShifters View Post
Have you tried loosening the 4 rear transmission cross member bolts? If you loosen those 4 bolts, be careful to not fully remove them, the tranny and drive shaft can move down enough to provide the space necessary to remove the stock shifter.
Matt, just to provide an update, I think the brace I was referring to was a cross chassis brace possibly for reinforcement due to the fact that it's a vert? Anyway, I took that off and then was able to see everything. Lowered the trans cross member bolts to gain more room.

Only real issue I had was that the nylon bushings were just too wide by about a few millimeters. trying to push it in started to bend one side, so I pulled the shifter back out and then sanded it back smooth and rounded the bushing a bit and was able to get it in. Everything else went pretty smooth. Got lucky with the boot back on, it wasn't too bad.
Old 08-20-2014, 11:52 AM   #8
HurstPerformance

Quote:
Matt, just to provide an update, I think the brace I was referring to was a cross chassis brace possibly for reinforcement due to the fact that it's a vert? Anyway, I took that off and then was able to see everything. Lowered the trans cross member bolts to gain more room.

Only real issue I had was that the nylon bushings were just too wide by about a few millimeters. trying to push it in started to bend one side, so I pulled the shifter back out and then sanded it back smooth and rounded the bushing a bit and was able to get it in. Everything else went pretty smooth. Got lucky with the boot back on, it wasn't too bad.
I'm glad that you were able to get your shifter installed! I have yet to hear of anyone experiencing a similar bushing issue. The bushings are a very tight fit to reduce NVH and any sort of slop or play in the shifter. We sometimes suggest putting a bit of vaseline, or lubricant, on the sides of the bushing and tapping them into place with a rubber mallet. I hope that you are happy with the results of your install!
Old 08-21-2014, 11:19 PM   #9
mwendorf3

Yeah, very happy with it. Such a sweet shifter and also reminds me of some classic cars where you'd see that classic white ball. Can't beat it.
Old 08-22-2014, 10:34 AM   #10
HurstPerformance

Quote:
Yeah, very happy with it. Such a sweet shifter and also reminds me of some classic cars where you'd see that classic white ball. Can't beat it.
That's great to hear! The nostalgia factor of a Hurst shifter is beyond compare.

Closed Thread