Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Garage / Tools Discussions

Old 06-21-2013, 04:43 PM   #15
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
give me a few hours to go through my inventory in the garage and the truck box and I'll give you a list.
I look forward to reading it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
Oh also one of those screwdrivers that has a flexible extension. I use mine so much now that I have it
That's a good idea. Also the flexible ratchet adapter thing. What's that called?

And I think I'll need a telescoping magnet thing to find bolts/screws that fall and get swallowed up by the engine bay.
Old 06-21-2013, 05:53 PM   #16
MMC

Drives: CGM 2SS/RS, 1987 & 2014 Silverado
Don't plan on using an air compressor for blowing out the garage, a leaf blower works better. Air compressors are rated at CFM at a specific PSI make sure you get one rated for the biggest air tool you want to run. I also recommend you look at Milwaukee M-18 cordless tools. Look around for them and buy bare tools if you don't need a case. (drill, impact, hammer drill) I beat the snot out of Milwaukee tools and they have never failed for me. I also like SK tools and buy them at Mechanicstoolswarehouse.com and checkout stillmadeinusa.com I also find a Chapman set a must have item and for general use you cant get better than Klien tools, Fluke meters or Innova scan tools. Sometimes for single use items Harbor Freight or a rental but they will break.
If the cost for a tool exceeds the cost to have someone you trust do the work pay them to own the tool. For electrical work at home pay a professional to do the work for you. Nothing exceeds the saisfaction of doing something for yourself, just know your limitations.
Old 06-21-2013, 05:55 PM   #17
Ryanbabz71

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 1SS 1LE
Dont create a budget it will take all the fun out of it

Must haves are air compressor (I have 2), plenty of air hose, and air hose reel, gear wrenches, air ratchet, tail bone seat, plenty of electrical outlets, good vacuum (and blower when washing vehicles), good cordless drill (lithum ion)

Plenty of oil and filters is a must too

Here are a few other items thats I have and really couldnt live without
Attached Images

Ryanbabz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 06:41 PM   #18
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Thank you for the detailed answers guys. Looks like the tail bone gets great reviews all around. I like the wall mounted air compressor. Hopefully I can figure out how to mount one with the room in my garage as it's a 2 car garage and we plan on parking my Camaro and wife's equinox in there also.

I will look into the Milwaukee tools MMC. Thanks for the recommendation.
Old 06-21-2013, 11:14 PM   #19
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMC View Post
Don't plan on using an air compressor for blowing out the garage, a leaf blower works better.
Air compressors are rated at CFM at a specific PSI make sure you get one rated for the biggest air tool you want to run.

If the cost for a tool exceeds the cost to have someone you trust do the work pay them to own the tool. For electrical work at home pay a professional to do the work for you. Nothing exceeds the saisfaction of doing something for yourself, just know your limitations.

to touch more on this. buy the biggest tank compressor you can afford (oiled pump too).
some air compressors are rated for impact tools, but suck for air grinders/etc because they don't move the volume of air that certain air tools require.

look at a pancake compressor, great for a nail gun that only needs a small volume of air at a high pressure, but crappy for an air grinder.

ideally you want the most CFM at the highest pressure.

which comes into play as well if you ever decide to spray paint down the road as well as you want at a minimum 9-11cfm@90psi

I've personally got my eyes on a couple different ones right now.
only major differences are the tank sizes (one is a 60 gal, the other is 80 gal). both are pushing 12cfm @90psi which will set me up for what I do now and in the future. Check out stores like Northern Tool, Tractor Supply Company, Rural King, etc for sales. I would have had the 60 gal one from TSC for ~$600 already had "personal issues" not transpired.
also, you can buy another air tank used to add to your volume and tie it inline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindz View Post
Thank you for the detailed answers guys. Looks like the tail bone gets great reviews all around. I like the wall mounted air compressor. Hopefully I can figure out how to mount one with the room in my garage as it's a 2 car garage and we plan on parking my Camaro and wife's equinox in there also.

I will look into the Milwaukee tools MMC. Thanks for the recommendation.
depending on the type of room you have outside the garage, you can place the compressor there. however, be forwarned that you will need to enclose it as I have seen warranty claims on them get rejected in a heartbeat due to the customer leaving the compressor outside in the elements.

also, if you go with a larger compressor and/or you know you are going to be using it a lot, get 3 things

a filter
a dryer
a regulator (if the compressor doesnt come with one already)

for most people however, a 30 gal upright compressor will do most all the work they need done. Home Depot has one out IIRC for like $200 or something like that. its a 33 gal compressor with 9 or 10 cfm@90ps. pretty good overall. last I checked they had a sale with the compressor and an impact gun and an air ratchet combo

also...
http://www.eastwood.com/100-ft-rapid...arage-kit.html

as for the tools themselves, I've got so many different socket sets its not even funny. different brands, different sizes, everything. I've got a few big kits that I love, but ironically enough, the tool set that has saved my (or others') ass more times than not, is my little $20.00 ratchet set that I got for a stocking stuffer for christmas a few years back. ive got one in every car I own.

I picked up over 300 sockets for $50.00 a couple years ago on craigslist. they were rusted to crap and I spent another 20 bucks on some rust remover/metal restore and now they look pretty.

what I'm saying is you don't have to have a bunch of brand new tools.

however, if you've got the scratch to buy new, my favorite took kits (by craftsman anyway) are the 255 pc kit and the 309 pc kits.

http://www.craftsman.com/hand-tools-...=1371873503195

also
http://www.zorotools.com/g/00099101/k-G3922676?utm_source=google_shopping&utm_medium=cpc &utm_campaign=Google_Shopping_Feed&kw={keyword}&gc lid=CMOyzqLi9rcCFVNo7AodHhcAMg

that being said, I got the 255 pc kit on sale around christmas time for half of what it is listed for now and the 309 kit around fathers day a couple years back doing the same.

keep an eye out on the actual piece listing of the kits as well as a lot of them throw in 50 hex bits to bump the number up.

Also, a couple good sets of allen/hex and star key wrenches or socket adapters go a long way.

I don't have the most tools out there, I dont have the best tools out there even. but a good set of wrenches and sockets with a few screwdrivers will cover you for 99% of the work you will be doing.

a lot of the specialty tools I would hold off on getting until you actually need it.

one thing I will highly recommend are socket organizers. they are invaluable.

the tool boxes that most of my stuff came in have been trashed as they are made of plastic and while they have a nice spot for all the sockets to go, they aren't worth a damn if the tool box sees any motion (ie in the trunk of the car or the bed of the truck) because there is nothing holding them in place so they bounce around and get jammed up when you go to pull out a tray. then everything is disorganized.

which is why I have about 4 dozen of these around. some empty, some filled up. any of the ones that are filled are ID'd with the socket size range and the ratchet size as well for quick reference

Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 12:05 AM   #20
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Thanks for the writeup. The craftsman toolset you said goes on sale for half of the 239 and 249 prices?

That looks like a decent price as is. I also added the socket organizers.
Old 06-22-2013, 03:13 AM   #21
King Nothing
Under a Peterbilt

Drives: Rogue, Durango and Camaro
Quote:
Thanks for the writeup. The craftsman toolset you said goes on sale for half of the 239 and 249 prices?

get the stand up plastic trays (didn't look to see if you meant those), the strips are a waste and if you have any heavy sockets they will fall off every time you move it, they will throw the weight off the strip off also. Sorry Jarrod I got hella busy at work tonight :( I'll take pics tomorrow at work and show off my work tools I'll show you my Craftsman Mechanics Tool Set I bought and use less than 1/4 of it lol
Sold-2000 Camaro SS A4 Hardtop #867 of 8913
1 of 103 Bright Rally Red Hardtop SS A4 in 2000
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS M6 By Berger #11BC21
King Nothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 03:17 AM   #22
King Nothing
Under a Peterbilt

BTW there is nothing on these cars you need an air compressor to get off that a cordless impact can't get off. I work with big boy toys and hardly use my air tools unless I need to remove a clutch brake, use a cordless impact or cordless drill for majority of work if i need to remove bolts, nuts etc etc Only good things for an air compressor is filling air in your tires and blowing out the garage.

Did I mention get a test light before you buy a DMM? I have both and hardly ever use my DMM. Test light is used on a daily basis, DMM is maybe once a week

A 3/8" or 1/2" cordless impact works great with the lug nuts on your car also. You shouldn't hammer those lug-nuts on anyway . . . stretches the threads. Get the lugs seated then use a torque wrench in a star pattern to finish it up.
Old 06-22-2013, 10:03 AM   #23
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:

I bought the $239 kit for ~$100 and the $249 kit for ~$150
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Nothing View Post
get the stand up plastic trays (didn't look to see if you meant those), the strips are a waste and if you have any heavy sockets they will fall off every time you move it, they will throw the weight off the strip off also. Sorry Jarrod I got hella busy at work tonight :( I'll take pics tomorrow at work and show off my work tools I'll show you my Craftsman Mechanics Tool Set I bought and use less than 1/4 of it lol
if you are only going to be using your tools in the garage, the stand up trays work well. I carry a few sets of tools with me in my truck and have used the stand up holders and after a few bumps, my sockets are laying all over the place.

most of my socket holders are the metal style that are more robust than the plastic insert ones.
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 10:17 AM   #24
Johnny@MTI

Drives: 99 ls1 miata
I started with a s.k 200 piece rolling tool box. 15 years later it's grown into quite a collection.

Currently I'm working on getting my mini frige/stereo :P

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2
Johnny@MTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 11:36 AM   #25
King Nothing
Under a Peterbilt

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
if you are only going to be using your tools in the garage, the stand up trays work well. I carry a few sets of tools with me in my truck and have used the stand up holders and after a few bumps, my sockets are laying all over the place.

most of my socket holders are the metal style that are more robust than the plastic insert ones.
I thought about this, Jarrod I absolutely agree with Spike! In a residential garage they are perfect because typically you don't use them on a daily basis, me on the other hand i shouldn't have got them lol In fact, if you want some 3/8" and 1/2" metal strips I might be upgrading to the plastic trays and I'll give you the ones in my tool box that I replace
Old 06-22-2013, 02:54 PM   #26
13BlackCamaroSS

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Cordless impact is a must (ffor me anyways)
Magnetic screw tray another must have
TV and stereo
13BlackCamaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 05:56 PM   #27
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Lots of good points. The stereo will be a must, unless I can get a 7.2 surround system in my mancave and just run the 2 speakers into the garage for zone 2.
Old 06-23-2013, 04:35 PM   #28
Learjetguru

Drives: 2011 2SS LS3
Service Manuals for the car ( best tool you will ever buy)

Learjetguru is offline   Reply With Quote