Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 11-12-2011, 10:19 PM   #1
shines

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Unhappy New Turbonetics T3's Leaking/Burning Oil

Last week we installed a Hellion twin turbo kit on my car and the turbos have smoked/leaked oil from day 1. I've not even been able to tune the car the leaking is so bad. Here's a video:

After that video I installed 0.052" restriction jets, which reduced the problem, but oil continues to blow into the exhaust.

Here is what I've tried/verified to eliminate the problem.

1) Verified the scavenge pumps are working and flowing well
2) Verified the crank case is well ventilated (even removed the oil fill cap)
3) Checked that there are no kinks in the scavenge pump lines
4) Installed 0.063 and 0.052" oil restriction jets, reduced the leaking but they still leak. Turbonetics recommends not to use oil restrictors

At this point I'm thinking the turbo's were defective from the factory.

Pretty damned disappointed right now . Any tips would be much appreciated.
shines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 10:33 PM   #2
grocerygetter
instigator

Drives: 2020 6.2 Trail Boss, 2022 XC90
the chances of both being bad is really odd. All of my friends running t-netics including myself on my buick have all had great luck.
Old 11-12-2011, 10:42 PM   #3
shines

Quote:
Originally Posted by grocerygetter View Post
the chances of both being bad is really odd. All of my friends running t-netics including myself on my buick have all had great luck.
That's good for you, but does little to help with my problem. I'm not here to rip any vendors, only to get some advice on this leaking issue.

Anyway, it's mostly the driver's side turbo, the other may be fine but there's so much smoke/oil it's hard to tell. Anyway, the kit was installed properly and the turbo's have at most 45 minutes of run time on them and 30 of those minutes were idling.
Old 11-12-2011, 10:49 PM   #4
tooslow
Banned

Drives: 4 Wheels, Gasoline Engine
A friend of mine recently installed the Hellion kit on his Camaro and is experiencing the same issue. In his case, there is not smoke at idle but at WOT it will make a crp duster jealous. He's still trying to figure out the issue, so if you figure out yours, maybe I can relay some ideas.
tooslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 10:50 PM   #5
TCAT

Drives: Has Wheels
I hope this issue gets figured out. I remember reading your thread last week after the install. Did Turbonetics or Hellion contact you yet, or did you call them. Hopefully they can assist or talk to a shop through a fix.
TCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 11:06 PM   #6
shines

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCAT View Post
I hope this issue gets figured out. I remember reading your thread last week after the install. Did Turbonetics or Hellion contact you yet, or did you call them. Hopefully they can assist or talk to a shop through a fix.
Hellion has been great with their telephone support, they were convinced the initial smoking was due to the oil inside turbo's during assembly. But the problem has only gotten worse.

I'm going to try a 0.035" restrictor, if that doesn't do the tick I'm going to yank and return them to Turbonetics.
Old 11-12-2011, 11:09 PM   #7
shines

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooslow View Post
A friend of mine recently installed the Hellion kit on his Camaro and is experiencing the same issue. In his case, there is not smoke at idle but at WOT it will make a crp duster jealous. He's still trying to figure out the issue, so if you figure out yours, maybe I can relay some ideas.
Did he try oil restriction nozzles? If it's just at WOT I suspect his oil pressure is peaking and blowing by the turbine seal in the turbo.
Old 11-12-2011, 11:09 PM   #8
TCAT

I remember Hellion saying that in your other thread. I don't have the same kit, but a single Turbonetics kit, and it never smoked even from the beginning. Turbonetics is a great company and the owner (who I've met and spoke with) is a great guy and I would imagine they will fix you right up. Hopefully you can get two brand new units.
Old 11-12-2011, 11:14 PM   #9
shines

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCAT View Post
I remember Hellion saying that in your other thread. I don't have the same kit, but a single Turbonetics kit, and it never smoked even from the beginning. Turbonetics is a great company and the owner (who I've met and spoke with) is a great guy and I would imagine they will fix you right up. Hopefully you can get two brand new units.
I'm sure they will...it's just frustrating to wait two weeks for them to produce the kit/turbos then have to turn around and send them back for repair. I expect that kind of thing from a Chinese company, not an American one.
Old 11-12-2011, 11:31 PM   #10
TCAT

That's definitely understandable especially since it's new and you probably can't wait until its fixed perfect so you can have some fun with it. I wish you the best of luck and it should get sorted out with time, but hopefully expedited.
Old 11-12-2011, 11:34 PM   #11
grocerygetter
instigator

Drives: 2020 6.2 Trail Boss, 2022 XC90
start with that right one then...in/out, side2side play on the impeller shaft?
Old 11-13-2011, 12:13 AM   #12
BLACK10

Drives: 2010 CAMARO. 10.04@133mph, 1.4 60'
You need a catch can
BLACK10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 04:00 PM   #13
Matts Electric

Drives: 2011 ss/rs
turbos leaking oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by shines View Post
Last week we installed a Hellion twin turbo kit on my car and the turbos have smoked/leaked oil from day 1. I've not even been able to tune the car the leaking is so bad. Here's a video:

After that video I installed 0.052" restriction jets, which reduced the problem, but oil continues to blow into the exhaust.

Here is what I've tried/verified to eliminate the problem.

1) Verified the scavenge pumps are working and flowing well
2) Verified the crank case is well ventilated (even removed the oil fill cap)
3) Checked that there are no kinks in the scavenge pump lines
4) Installed 0.063 and 0.052" oil restriction jets, reduced the leaking but they still leak. Turbonetics recommends not to use oil restrictors

At this point I'm thinking the turbo's were defective from the factory.

Pretty damned disappointed right now . Any tips would be much appreciated.
I have had and fixed this problem, 1st when the car is on jackstands the turbos will leak oil into the exhaust side of the turbo the seal is being overcome by gravity and oil will leak by. You'll probably have to take the exhaust off and clean out all the oil that has leaked in with brake clean. I used a -3 line that goes all the way around the engine compartment plus .036 restrictors in the turbos to keep oil from leaking in. I was getting oil out the exhaust and the compressor side, My turbos are percision ballbearing 62mm and have sent them back twice to percision and they would test them and send back and say that they tested perfect. So to save you the trouble you should use restrictors and run a long feed line to the turbos.Also once you have corrected the problem it takes about 15 to 20min idling and about 10min of driving to get the oil to burn out of the exhaust. I've had 3 TT turbo cars 1 outlaw 10.5 car with twin 90mm pro mods and 1 street /strip car with twin 72mm and now my 2011 camaro. Turbos cars are the best sometimes they can be a little trying but if your willing to take the time and learn from everybodys mistakes, you'll be very happy with a turbo car. FYI I have talked to almost all of the best turbo guys in the country and use to race with them! The turbo companies that install these kits don't use jackstands so they would'nt be able to tell you whats wrong maybe they should have a warning label on the setup,also the oil seal works on pressure if you have less pressure on the exhaust side and more on the compressore side the exhaust side can be overcome with oil,the system needs to balanced with almost equal pressure or you may have problems with the seal!! Give me a call if you need any help Matt.Salminen 941-769-6515
Matts Electric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 08:10 PM   #14
Z_Rocks

Drives: everyone crazy...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matts Electric View Post
I have had and fixed this problem, 1st when the car is on jackstands the turbos will leak oil into the exhaust side of the turbo the seal is being overcome by gravity and oil will leak by. You'll probably have to take the exhaust off and clean out all the oil that has leaked in with brake clean. I used a -3 line that goes all the way around the engine compartment plus .036 restrictors in the turbos to keep oil from leaking in. I was getting oil out the exhaust and the compressor side, My turbos are percision ballbearing 62mm and have sent them back twice to percision and they would test them and send back and say that they tested perfect. So to save you the trouble you should use restrictors and run a long feed line to the turbos.Also once you have corrected the problem it takes about 15 to 20min idling and about 10min of driving to get the oil to burn out of the exhaust. I've had 3 TT turbo cars 1 outlaw 10.5 car with twin 90mm pro mods and 1 street /strip car with twin 72mm and now my 2011 camaro. Turbos cars are the best sometimes they can be a little trying but if your willing to take the time and learn from everybodys mistakes, you'll be very happy with a turbo car. FYI I have talked to almost all of the best turbo guys in the country and use to race with them! The turbo companies that install these kits don't use jackstands so they would'nt be able to tell you whats wrong maybe they should have a warning label on the setup,also the oil seal works on pressure if you have less pressure on the exhaust side and more on the compressore side the exhaust side can be overcome with oil,the system needs to balanced with almost equal pressure or you may have problems with the seal!! Give me a call if you need any help Matt.Salminen 941-769-6515
Very nice and informative response.
Z_Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote