Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-19-2008, 04:39 AM   #15
JiXeR'z DoDgE/FoRd KiLLeR
SSiCk MeMbEr!!!

Drives: HeAviLy MoDDeD 2010 SS CaMaRo!
Well of course we all like the power of the V8 on tap but it's more of the sound of the V8 for me! You gotta love that RUMBLE dude! I really hope this never happens!
JiXeR'z DoDgE/FoRd KiLLeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 11:20 AM   #16
Jamestwilliams

Drives: Grand Am
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylton View Post
There are some vehicles which will always offer V8's. Mostly trucks and luxury cars. Problem is that GM is still needs to get the mileage average to 35 and that won't be as easy as some people think. Porsche and Ferarri don't make enough cars to qualify under cafe restrictions.
Which proves the futility of Cafe, why should only the wealthy be allowed to get the cars they want, oh wait they're the ones who wrote the cafe laws.
Jamestwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 11:56 AM   #17
CWI
Helping Build America

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS,LS3 2013 Duramax 3500HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emher View Post
I've been hearing more and more chatter about the V8 being on the way out, what with the C7 Corvette being put on hold and no news about the Gen V V8s for a while now. So does anything this will happen? Will GM kill the V8s? And when in that case? Within the next three years? The next five? Ten?

Discuss please.
NEVER
Old 10-19-2008, 12:32 PM   #18
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
I'm no psychic either, but there will always be a desire for performance cars. If an equally rewarding, inexpensive replacement for the V8 presents itself, then the V8 will be in trouble.

Think big, people. GM isn't the only company using more than 6 cylinders. There are a lot of companies—Rolls Royce, Bentley, Lamborghini, Porsche, Chrysler, Ford, Ferrari just to name a few—that use a lot of cylinders. While some of these brands have a calling in the luxury field, they all rely on the rewarding nature of a loud, large-displacement motor as a means of satisfying the driver.
something else to look at the companies that make their motors with 8+ cyls also cut back on the size of the cyls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
V8's will still be around. But, turbos are the way of the future. V8's will be more expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamestwilliams View Post
Which proves the futility of Cafe, why should only the wealthy be allowed to get the cars they want, oh wait they're the ones who wrote the cafe laws.
pretty much.
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 04:57 PM   #19
Tal

Drives: Old
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamestwilliams View Post
Notice how the low volume manufacturers (<10,000 annual production, Porsche was lobbying to increase this slightly last I heard) of the elite are immune to CAFE as well.
Tal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 09:38 AM   #20
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
I think they'll be around for several more years. I think they'll shrink in displacement though and probably add FI. With as many enthusiasts out there that want big power, I think they have to continue to develope production V8s to continue to improve what's in the GMPP catalog. The biggest engine in there is the 575R which has 720 horse, and I'm sure some of the things they've learned on the street have gone toward at least a bit of the engineering of that engine. I know we get technology from racing but I think they take what they learn on the street and apply that to the racing engines too.

No, I don't think it'll go away soon, but I take Lutz' comment on getting your LS9 and LSA now. I just cross my fingers I can find one of those in my Z28 in a few years before they go bye-bye...

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // TooHighPSI Port Injection // FF // Katech Dual In-Tank // Soler 103 // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 01:51 AM   #21
camaro5

Drives: X-15 Velocipede
I just read Acura is making a V8 for the first time. First Honda said no bigger than a four, than a six, now they finally break down and design a V8.
camaro5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 11:13 AM   #22
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
The V8 will disappear when the combined full sized truck+full sized suv market is less than 500 000 units. So basically, never. A 350 hp turbo charged V6 is not the same as a big V8. And there will always be a demand for V8s in luxury cars because they are much smoother than most other engines.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 02:40 PM   #23
SSINSTR
Michelin Man Assassin

Drives: '10 IBM 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JiXeR'z DoDgE/FoRd KiLLeR View Post
Well of course we all like the power of the V8 on tap but it's more of the sound of the V8 for me! You gotta love that RUMBLE dude! I really hope this never happens!
I'm with you man, I could pick up an Evo X right now for less than I'm going to be paying for my SS, but I'm not. No doubt the evo is a capable track machine and is wicked fast with a few bolt ons, but a boosted 4banger WILL NEVER sound as good as the tried n true American smallblock.
Old 10-21-2008, 03:23 PM   #24
RCowan

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS
The limitations on the options we have today are a direct result of decisions made by government. Same goes for the future. That being said, consider carefully who will get your vote at every level, every time the the polls are open.
RCowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 04:27 PM   #25
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
The hurst that drives you to your final resting place will have a V8 under the hood, you can rest assured of that.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 03:04 PM   #26
Emher
Pillaging Viking

Drives: Saab 9-5 '99 (Hey it's a GM!)
Send a message via MSN to Emher Send a message via Yahoo to Emher Send a message via Skype™ to Emher
Thanks guys, I need the reassurance every now and then. I just want there to be a V8 in the Camaro when I have the money to get it.

I did swing by a dealer that is the dealer I'm seriously considering getting the Camaro from for a multitude of reasons. Their speciality is imported cars and high end versions of models more commonly avaible in Sweden. Amongst other things they are the biggest dealer in Stockholm of Mustangs (down boys, all American muscle over here is good American muscle), one of the first places in Sweden to have imported the Challenger and the new Malibu. And they're selling Mustangs and Challengers like hot cakes. So obviously there's a market for V8s around here as well so I'm pretty sure that in a few years time I will have my Camaro with a rumbling LS3 (or better!).
Old 10-24-2008, 03:17 PM   #27
greenrail
Comic Curmudgeon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS-2010 VW CC Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
The hurst that drives you to your final resting place will have a V8 under the hood, you can rest assured of that.
Uh, don't you mean "Hearse?"

Although the thought of Linda Vaughn at my funeral would be most entertaining!
Old 10-24-2008, 03:18 PM   #28
Jamestwilliams

Drives: Grand Am
All good things must end but that doesn't mean it has to be so in my life time. Things will be different in the future but anyone who says they know exactly what is just fooling with you. With direct injection and low torque V8s in the future should be viable performance options as they will get better economy than todays perfomance I and V6s while still being able to provide gobs of power. Honestly once AFM gets into further development say by the 3rd or 4th generation you should see the kind of fuel economy it's really capable of.
Jamestwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote