Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 09-25-2009, 08:32 AM   #1
Abygale

Drives: .
Accuracy of DIC's Tire Presssure Reading

Anyone else notice problems with the accuracy of the tire pressure displayed by the DIC?

I got really tired of the wide swings of the readings on the DIC and I had the compressed air drained and nitrogen put in my tires yesterday. I gave the shop instructions to air up all tires to 38 psi. I trust this shop and they have very good tire pressure gauges since they specialize in tires. I checked the DIC upon getting into the car right after the work was done and all tires read 37 except for the back left tire which read 35. One psi off is nothing to worry about.

I seem to consistently have a lower reading on the left rear tire which always concerns me but I'm starting to think the problem is with the sensor on that tire. Anyone else have a similar problem? Should I take it to the dealer and have them look at it?
Abygale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 08:37 AM   #2
rodimus prime
Account Suspended

Drives: Cargo van.
I find it to be pretty accurate. Remember they will fluctuate about 5psi given outside temp and tire temp. Mine start out at about 38-39 when cold and hit 42 all the way around when the tires are warmed up. I filled mine according to the cars gauge. Most mechanic shops use gauges that go to like 90psi, so the readings on them wont be super accurate.
rodimus prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 08:40 AM   #3
Outlaw

Drives: 2SS M6, IBM w/ Silver Rally
Mine does the same thing. The outside temp and the tire temp makes a difference. It could be up to 4 or even 5 psi it the most I've noticed on mine so far.

Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 08:51 AM   #4
Abygale

Do you notice one tire reading quite a bit off from the others, or are they all pretty consistent? This one back left tire of mine consistently runs 2-4 psi (usually 3-4) lower than the others on the DIC but on a gauge it's the same as the others.
Old 09-25-2009, 09:14 AM   #5
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
I've noticed the same thing on mine. I set my tires at 40 psi and I have a digital pressure gauge so it's accurate within 10ths of a pound. I had just put 40 in all 4 tires and I checked the DIC and it said 37 on 3 of them, and the right rear was 35. So i'm not going to rely on it other than it might be useful if you have a tire going flat. I wonder if there's a way to calibrate them? Since it's a computer readout I would think the dealer or maybe a good tuner shop can do that.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 09:28 AM   #6
Outlaw

Drives: 2SS M6, IBM w/ Silver Rally
I do occasionally have 1 or 2 tires that read 1-2 psi lower than the other but not 4. Simple way to check is get in the car when its cold, turn it on, see what the sensor says the tire pressure is, turn the car off, and check the tire pressure with a regular pressure gauge. If there is a big difference then I would take it to the dealer and let them check the sensor.

Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 09:29 AM   #7
Abygale

Thanks Doc. Glad I'm not the only one noticing this. I'll ask the service department if they can look into that the next time I have it in. I think I'm just going to rely on the gauge for now and not the DIC.
Old 09-25-2009, 09:31 AM   #8
rodimus prime
Account Suspended

Be sure to buy a nice analog tire pressure gauge that only reads to about the pressure you want to run in your tires, as opposed to 50psi more. You will get a better/more accurate reading that way.
Old 09-25-2009, 09:32 AM   #9
Abygale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw View Post
I do occasionally have 1 or 2 tires that read 1-2 psi lower than the other but not 4. Simple way to check is get in the car when its cold, turn it on, see what the sensor says the tire pressure is, turn the car off, and check the tire pressure with a regular pressure gauge. If there is a big difference then I would take it to the dealer and let them check the sensor.
Yes, that is exactly what I've done and the DIC reading on this one tire is always much lower and "off" from the gauge reading than the others. The other tires always read within 1-2 psi from the gauge so it's pretty accurate except for this one tire.
Old 09-25-2009, 09:35 AM   #10
rodimus prime
Account Suspended

Also press the reset button and it gives you the option to relearn your tire pressure. It takes about a min to do.
Old 09-25-2009, 09:35 AM   #11
Abygale

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodimus prime View Post
Be sure to buy a nice analog tire pressure gauge that only reads to about the pressure you want to run in your tires, as opposed to 50psi more. You will get a better/more accurate reading that way.
The one I have only goes up to 60 psi so I think that should be fine right?
Old 09-25-2009, 09:35 AM   #12
Abygale

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodimus prime View Post
Also press the reset button and it gives you the option to relearn your tire pressure. It takes about a min to do.
Okay maybe that's what I'm doing wrong Now I feel really stupid. LOL
Old 09-25-2009, 09:38 AM   #13
rodimus prime
Account Suspended

Yeah, but a pound or so off might be normal.

As long as its like this one, it should be good to go.

Your not a professional racer (I dont think) so 1 or two pounds isnt going to be noticable anyways.
Old 09-25-2009, 10:42 AM   #14
DEW

Drives: Hoopdee
I precisely set my tire pressures at 35lbs using a good analog gage and my DIC readings are usually under by a pound. Ive determined that the only thing the DIC readings are good for is a puncture or valve stem gone bad.

BUILD - 6/12/2009
Airaid V2, Flowmaster AT
DEW is offline   Reply With Quote