Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V6

Old 07-07-2009, 09:46 PM   #29
Mohrg Beast
TURBO HUNTER!!!

Drives: 2010 Camaro Lt Vin #1974
i need help finding/purchasing a V6 turbo/twin turbo/supercharger. Im dying to put one on so if anyone could help me id appreciate it. Nobody else seems to be daring enough yet to try. so i dont have any thing to go by. Just want to see how much it beefens up the car..And this is no lie at all..Those old school Cyclone air flow systems that used to be on infomercials all the time actually worked on my car..LOL..it wasnt much but just goofing off the other day i stopped at Auto Zone and bought one for 35 bucks..put it right before the air filter box, and at the first stop light without revving up the engine i stomped the gas and the tires barked a bit..i know that doesnt sound like much..but no matter what ive did before i have never, not even on an incline,been able to bark the tires just by 'stomping' on the guess without revving the engine up..LOL..didnt get to do much after that cause i had to drop it off to get the finishing touches on the clear coat for my racing stripes i had added last week. but back to what i was saying, if any of you know anything about getting a turbo/ twin turbo/ super charger for my V6 i would very much appreciate it. Capa in Aus. from what i seen in another thread had some but i sent them emails with no reply..they even had gretts on there for 1500 that "added 500 hp..dunno myself to the turbo/supercharging deal..please help. thanks
Mohrg Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 10:19 AM   #30
JTinFL

Drives: Fast ones
STS kits are junk in my opinion. This isnt just a opinion without facts backing it up. I have tuned many of rear mount kits. The problem is that turbos NEED heat. They must have heat to spool up and build boost. Heat is a bad thing when it comes to intake air temps and engine temps but with no heat to a turbo, well no power.

This being said, you must do a few (3 to 5) pulls on a dyno to even make any power using them. By the time you have the turbo heated up to the temperature needed, well everything else is completely heat soaked and can be damaging to your engine.

Also, at the track, well forget it. !st gear will make a little boost, say 1 psi on a 10 psi spring, then second gear will make 2 or 3 psi, 3rd gear finally starts to get heated up and might make 7 psi, then finally when you hit forth gear, well you possibly have reached 10 psi.

There will be a lot of options here soon for the Camaro. Make sure you use high quality components, stainless steel piping, and proper tuning and you will have a blast for the lifetime of your car. Thanks and pm me if you have any questions.
JTinFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 11:19 AM   #31
MadMaxx
Master of the V6

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTinFL View Post
STS kits are junk in my opinion. This isnt just a opinion without facts backing it up. I have tuned many of rear mount kits. The problem is that turbos NEED heat. They must have heat to spool up and build boost. Heat is a bad thing when it comes to intake air temps and engine temps but with no heat to a turbo, well no power.

This being said, you must do a few (3 to 5) pulls on a dyno to even make any power using them. By the time you have the turbo heated up to the temperature needed, well everything else is completely heat soaked and can be damaging to your engine.
Turbo's don't need heat - they need volume and velocity. Heat is just the factor which plays a large part in velocity of the exhaust gases from source to destination.

You compensate this natural reduction of velocity and volume of having a remote mount system by changing the A/R on the hot side...it's not that difficult really. What you give up in response time you gain in overall turbo life and a reduction in engine bay temps vs. bay-mounted turbo setups.

As for your dyno statements - that's not really correct. The turbo may become slightly more responsive as the EGT increases (from the boost load being placed on it) but doesn't mean the system is unusable prior to that event. It's just an added bonus... and EGT's will reach their safe ranges in moments under load.

In addition - heat soak will affect many factors, but as long as the oil and intake temps stay well within tolerances there is no issue (aka "engine damage" as you stated). My road course engine bay temps far exceeded those experienced on a few static dyno pulls even with limited downtime between pulls.

Remote mount systems are fine, it's the quality of components (or lack there of) that STI uses that is the real issue. I don't like them re-branding some components and marking up the price 500% for their kits. Recommend folks source out the components and build their own.
MadMaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 08:02 AM   #32
JTinFL

Drives: Fast ones
My statements come from hours and hours and hours on a dyno with a pyrometer checking the temperature of every pipe on the turbo kit to see why it won't make power on the first 3 pulls. When I refer to heat on the turbo, that is the only way I have of checking it is with the pyrometer and when the turbo gets close to 350-450 degrees is when the car makes the most power. Now with that being said, it takes around 4 to 5 pulls on the dyno to get it to that temperature and then the engine is heatsoaked. I have tuned hundreds and hundreds of turbo and single turbo cars and the STS kits always put down less power with the same size turbo on the same car due to the fact that it takes 4 or 5 pulls to get it to temperature. On most turbo cars that I tune in Florida I would never do 4 or 5 back to back pulls in fear of damaging the engine.

I understand completely what you are saying though with the heat, I just didn't have a way of measuring velocity on every STS kit that came in but could easy associate it with the heat on the exhaust housing for a reference.
JTinFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 09:53 PM   #33
trudawg660

Drives: 2006 Dodge Charger / 2SS IOM
is anyone still interested in buying a STS turbo?
trudawg660 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 09:47 PM   #34
davidj

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE EVIL TW1N View Post
cooler air most certainly does NOT mean denser air all the time. Cooler air USUALLY means denser air.
Old 08-05-2009, 01:53 PM   #35
Mohrg Beast
TURBO HUNTER!!!

he he..i was going to get an STS kit but opted for the under the hood deal. i think someone should try it out though. i really was going to till i got a good offer from a very reputable company.. but STS was telling me that they would try and work out a discount for me since id be one of the first Camaros they got. Someone should get the STS system on their camaro and compare dynos with me once i get my turbo back from florida. and then we can put to rest any questions about which is better. im talking V6 turbos if anyone really wants to do this. ill have my car back around the middle of September. So if anyone wants to get the STS kit then order them put em on and well compare dynos.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:33 PM   #36
Fire

Drives: 1999 Firebird Formula
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE EVIL TW1N View Post
cooler air most certainly does NOT mean denser air all the time. Cooler air USUALLY means denser air.
I thought Mr. Wizard died. On earth, in typical atmospheric conditions, yadda yadda yadda it's pretty reliable as a rule. We're not going to the moon here.
:fighting0040:
Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 09:40 PM   #37
HaveBlue

Drives: CTS/CAMARO
It all seems unimportant until someone cracks the tuning on this motor.
HaveBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 04:14 PM   #38
Primus
2G1FF1EV0A9113319

Drives: 2010 1LT/RS 6MT
So, this is the turbo they are putting in the V6 vs. the GT-R. Interesting. Maybe it will be available soon for the public.
3000: 4/08/2009
3300: 5/14/2009
3400: 5/21/2009
3800: 5/28/2009 VIN: 2G1FF1EV0A9113319
4000: 5/28/2009
4150: 5/28/2009
4B00: 5/28/2009

Delivered: 6/10/2009
Primus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 04:45 PM   #39
ZNOLMT

Drives: Rally Yellow 2LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primus View Post
So, this is the turbo they are putting in the V6 vs. the GT-R. Interesting. Maybe it will be available soon for the public.
This is very promising toward a release of a V6 bolt on kit in the near future.
ZNOLMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 04:55 PM   #40
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaveBlue View Post
It all seems unimportant until someone cracks the tuning on this motor.
Exactly!!! Plumbing is easy... but without being able to tune... well....
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 04:57 PM   #41
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Quote:
Originally Posted by derin11 View Post
Just talked to STS, we signed a faxed contract and they are gonna do a turbo system for free for me in 2 weeks time, ill be posting videos then
Been a month... updates?
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 09:07 PM   #42
Mohrg Beast
TURBO HUNTER!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZNOLMT View Post
This is very promising toward a release of a V6 bolt on kit in the near future.
Ultimate Performance and racing is picking my car up Monday to put their first V6 turbo on..ill keep you guys posted..its gonna be a months work in the process.anything they send me ill post for you guys. its gonna be kicking about 450 whp so its gonna dominate even the stock SS's