Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

View Poll Results: Shifting into 2nd gear on your V6 M6?
Periodic / Regular Grind 194 45.97%
Periodic / Regular Bind 89 21.09%
No Issue 139 32.94%
Voters: 422. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-22-2011, 02:28 AM   #1009
khabboub
Tampa Gulf Coast Family

Drives: Sold c7, in the market!
Quote:
Originally Posted by c_LoW29 View Post
Got the car back and it shifts so much better now hopefully it stays that way
congrats mate. hope it stays well.
khabboub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 02:31 AM   #1010
khabboub
Tampa Gulf Coast Family

Drives: Sold c7, in the market!
Quote:
Originally Posted by piticu667 View Post
I do not think so .. The regional manager's claim for denying my warranty was his claim that there are no problems with the camaro powertrain!!! So i sent them their own TSB lool. I am pissed on beyond belief. The good news I found a company that does postmortems on cars. So tomorrow I am taking it in. Lord knows I have tried to be reasonable with GM customer service. All I ask for was fix my car or buy it back..
Here is how they fixed it. When I shot this the car had less than 60 KM from when I left the dealership. I do not know how I can cause this but watch :

Remember I did not get a new transmission nooo... I got a crappy rebuilt job. I guess someone at GM forgot to tighten some screws.
yeah when i went to my dealership they told me that i was the first car to ever have these issues. lol. yeah they will never admit there is an issue.
khabboub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 09:16 PM   #1011
piticu667

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by khabboub View Post
yeah when i went to my dealership they told me that i was the first car to ever have these issues. lol. yeah they will never admit there is an issue.
Yeah they will always say that... Call GM make sure you open a case..
piticu667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 10:25 PM   #1012
piticu667

Hey guys,
Just curious from those of you that had your transmission replaced any of you still have issues?
Old 04-24-2011, 11:35 PM   #1013
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by piticu667 View Post
Hey guys,
Just curious from those of you that had your transmission replaced any of you still have issues?
I had mine replaced at just under 14k miles and started experiencing the same grind issue on the new one once I hit about 27k miles (13k on the new one). The new transmissions are just the same as the old ones, complete with the design flaws.

I spoke with a couple of the GM guys out at C5Fest about this transmission. I wanted to know if they intended to continue using it, with or without design changes, for the 2012 model that is being bumped up to 323hp with the new LFX engine. Yep, still using the AY6 next year too. There is no recall planned and each case is being dealt with as they come in. One of the guys I spoke with seemed to know exactly what I was talking about since he has a 1LT/RS manual as his daily driver. When I spoke to Scott Settlemire, he asked how I liked my car. I told him I loved everything about it but the weak ass Aisin transmission and the problems with 2nd gear. His response was something along the lines of "...that's interesting...unfortunately GM isn't the only one running into issues with transmissions lately, have you read about all the problems the 2011 Mustangs are having too?" WTF??? Seriously?
Old 04-25-2011, 01:04 AM   #1014
fad1

Drives: Future 5th gen Camaro
To be honest, I am considering to purchase a new Camaro. I was thinkting to buy an LS3 M6, but from what I am hearing, the L99 seems to be a safe bet with the automatic. I cant believe that the Manual transmission has been around longer than the automatic and still cant get it right. I am pretty disappointed that this is happening. I hope a TSB is offered soon......
Old 04-25-2011, 09:50 AM   #1015
littleman54321

Drives: Something
Quote:
Originally Posted by fad1 View Post
To be honest, I am considering to purchase a new Camaro. I was thinkting to buy an LS3 M6, but from what I am hearing, the L99 seems to be a safe bet with the automatic. I cant believe that the Manual transmission has been around longer than the automatic and still cant get it right. I am pretty disappointed that this is happening. I hope a TSB is offered soon......
Well, this thread is for the v6 manual transmission, which is not the same as the one in the SS. I don't keep up with the SS really, but I think it may be having it's own issues as well.

On a separate note, took the car to the dealership today. Took a tech for a ride, got it to grind several times (and got it to hook up a few times normally too), the guy was like "yeah...that doesn't sound good." So they're going to get their transmission guy to do his thing and give me a call back later today to arrange rental car and all that. Heres to hoping they can figure it out and fix it.
littleman54321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 11:05 AM   #1016
c_LoW29

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS, 2010 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolnslo View Post
I had mine replaced at just under 14k miles and started experiencing the same grind issue on the new one once I hit about 27k miles (13k on the new one). The new transmissions are just the same as the old ones, complete with the design flaws.

I spoke with a couple of the GM guys out at C5Fest about this transmission. I wanted to know if they intended to continue using it, with or without design changes, for the 2012 model that is being bumped up to 323hp with the new LFX engine. Yep, still using the AY6 next year too. There is no recall planned and each case is being dealt with as they come in. One of the guys I spoke with seemed to know exactly what I was talking about since he has a 1LT/RS manual as his daily driver. When I spoke to Scott Settlemire, he asked how I liked my car. I told him I loved everything about it but the weak ass Aisin transmission and the problems with 2nd gear. His response was something along the lines of "...that's interesting...unfortunately GM isn't the only one running into issues with transmissions lately, have you read about all the problems the 2011 Mustangs are having too?" WTF??? Seriously?
Now thats how you show your customers you care......
c_LoW29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 12:58 PM   #1017
piticu667

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleman54321 View Post
Well, this thread is for the v6 manual transmission, which is not the same as the one in the SS. I don't keep up with the SS really, but I think it may be having it's own issues as well.

On a separate note, took the car to the dealership today. Took a tech for a ride, got it to grind several times (and got it to hook up a few times normally too), the guy was like "yeah...that doesn't sound good." So they're going to get their transmission guy to do his thing and give me a call back later today to arrange rental car and all that. Heres to hoping they can figure it out and fix it.
Watch out for the rebuilt look at how they fixed mine!!! And whats worse is that they are blaming me for it.
Old 04-25-2011, 01:42 PM   #1018
piticu667

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_LoW29 View Post
Now thats how you show your customers you care......
LOOL
So beware before you read this as I am in a bad place full of sarcasm.. No offense to any of the members of the forum. Sorry guys I was not expecting to hear from GM well you know Ford has issues too so tough luck. I am really upset with GM right now especially in Cfest aftermath.

IMHO:
Lets see what do Mustangs and camaro's v6's have in common?
Crappy transmissions made in Asia..

I can't believe Getrag is making transmissions in China!! Yet another ruined brand.
Well I bought an American car and got a Jap car, there should be a law against that or at least a disclaimer..

The funniest thing in all of this is that the crappy Malibu i am driving right now for about a month is faster than my camaro. I hate driving an automatic!!!

Here is the kicker how come Dodge can afford to use a proper transmission and GM can't. Major difference is that Dodge uses stainless steel for their syncros and not brass. Also Dogde use the true and tested Borg T56. According to wiki Dodge requested stainless steel syncros from Borg.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T56

Now given basic materials knowledge stainless steel is much tougher than brass but hey who needs a long lasting transmission.

Before anyone tells me I know about the issues with the Aisin 1-2 being cause by the ratio and syncro. So what would be a good fix. Replace the first gear and make the 1-2 ratio not as bad!! Install a syncro made of carbon or stainless steel that can take the pressure.

I really hope that this time when they fix it I can at least drive to another dealership so I can trade it in for 2007 SAAB aero.
Old 04-25-2011, 01:45 PM   #1019
piticu667

Quote:
Originally Posted by khabboub View Post
Just an update regarding my previous issue. GM called their mobile engineers and escalated my issue. Waiting to see what will happen I still have the postmortem guys on hold. I payed them 300$ to retain their services, and I mean this is the final break I will cut GM..
Old 04-25-2011, 01:59 PM   #1020
littleman54321

Well, they gave me a call back a short while ago...they're going to replace second gear. No mods or anything, so warranty is taking care of it (yay). They said it'll be a week or so before they get all the parts in, so I'm driving her around until they get the parts in. Then they said it could take a few days, and they'll provide me a rental at that time.

Here's to hoping that takes care of the problem...
Old 04-25-2011, 03:41 PM   #1021
c_LoW29

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS, 2010 Mustang GT
In my experience with all of these issues and I have had my transmission worked on 3 times, I think the majority of the problems isnt the transmissions but the clutch. The reason I say this is because when they rebuilt my transmission the same issues continued but when they replaced the tranny and clutch all the issues went away. When I saw the clutch it has less than 1/4 inch of meat left but the inside of the trannny was perfect.
c_LoW29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 05:41 PM   #1022
littleman54321

I'll make sure to mention that when I take it back in after the parts arrive. Thanks

Tags
ay6, bind, grind, repair, swap