Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-11-2013, 06:32 PM   #1
chopss

Drives: 04 sentra, 2ss
Baby Seat help.

Hi all, I excited to say my wife is pregnant and im going to be a dad. I was reading the older post on baby seats and was wondering if anyone can give me advise and which baby seat you are using and is great for our Camaro's. Pics would be great any advise would be a great help.
thank you
joey
Old 04-11-2013, 06:37 PM   #2
MYDLIFECRISIS

Drives: '12SS/2SS/45TH-'06 2500HD/Silverado
CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Any model you get rear-facing is going to require a lot of room because of the safety positioning of it. My son was already forward-facing when I got my car. As for brands, I like Britax car seats. They're a little more expensive than most, but worth it.

MYDLIFECRISIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:47 PM   #3
69camaroSS

Drives: 1969 camaro SS;2011 Turbocharged SS
When you get a forward facing car seat.... I would recommend the sparco car seat...fits perfect in the rear seats....for the rear facing I have a britax.

2011 turbocharged SS Borla Touring Axle back
69camaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:51 PM   #4
chopss

Drives: 04 sentra, 2ss
thanks for the replies. I did look into britax does any of the convertible models fit in the rear.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:59 PM   #5
JEFF75645

Drives: his wife crazy buying mods
The one we use is a Radian i think.I think it was around $500. Made from the same material as NASCAR driver seats iirc. You put the car seat in the middle on use the latches on both sides plus one on the back. My son is almost 3 and he has used it from birth.

Last edited by JEFF75645; 04-11-2013 at 07:13 PM.
JEFF75645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:05 PM   #6
MYDLIFECRISIS

Drives: '12SS/2SS/45TH-'06 2500HD/Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFF75645 View Post
The forward facing car seat we have allows the baby to use it from birth. I don't have the name of it right now but it was around $500. Made from the same material as NASCAR driver seats iirc. You put the car seat in the middle on use the latches on both sides.

This is not recommended with any car seat installation. If anything ever happens, the car seat company is not liable, not to mention any injuries that may occur. I'm not just talking out my a$$, actually had to go through car seat installation training. If you want the seat in the middle, you must use the lap belt installation procedure, or latch hooks if the car is equipped. Unfortunately, Camaro's don't have a middle seat belt or latch set up, as they are only a 2+2 seating vehicle.

MYDLIFECRISIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:21 PM   #7
JEFF75645

Drives: his wife crazy buying mods
http://www.healthchecksystems.com/di..._car_seats.cfm

Here is the link to the one I was talking about.

Last edited by JEFF75645; 04-11-2013 at 07:36 PM.
JEFF75645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:27 PM   #8
Ryanbabz71

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 1SS 1LE
Congrats!

I am so happy my son is in a booster seat now. Throw it in and go. Still havent put my daughters car seat in. I have been putting it off until I can do it forward facing.
Ryanbabz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:36 PM   #9
Algeron

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Convertible, 1998 Z28
My girls are in booster seats. Wish I could help.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:49 PM   #10
daveagogo1
TRI COUNTY TAMPA

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS VR/BLK A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopss View Post
thanks for the replies. I did look into britax does any of the convertible models fit in the rear.

I had Britax frontiers in mine. They worked fine. I now have Britax boosters and those work fine as well.

Rear facing will be tougher but, can be done as long as your wife is short. The front seat will need to be slid forward a good amount.

daveagogo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:58 PM   #11
upflying

Drives: '86 Monte Carlo SS
Britax Roundabout is the best seat. I would reckon the front passenger seat will need to be moved fully forward to make a rear facing seat fit. You will also needto be a contortionist to install the seat.
Much more to babies besides the seat. Strollers, playpens, diaper bags, formula, bottles, wipes, toys, blankets, clothing changes, etc, etc. need to go into the Camaro too. Just wait until the kid spits up.
Better think about getting a Trail Blazer SS.
upflying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:44 PM   #12
daveagogo1
TRI COUNTY TAMPA

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS VR/BLK A6
Forgot to mention IF you plan to buy any seat that can be used later as forward facing. Make sure you know it will clear the side roof. My last set of Britax side impact protectors hit the roof back there on the sides tilting the seats so i had to swap them for the new ones. Also for later make sure the latch straps pull forward and not side to side. No room to pull side to side. Lastly, don't even bother with cupholders for the most part as due to the large dip in the seats and the bulge in the middle most cup holders won't open anyhow without digging into the middle part.

If you plan to get totally different front facing seats later then don't worry about any of that for now.

daveagogo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:54 PM   #13
VictorDelDuca

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary Camaro SS 6M
I've got the Britax Advocate and Pavilion seats, we have 3 cars, and one day the Pavilion was about $15 more than the Advocate and I was sick of moving the seat around, so I figured what the heck. I liked the smaller rear facing seat for when they are little, which my daughter quickly outgrew, but I thought it was better than her rattling around in the bigger convertible seat. I've had her forward facing since about 10 months and it gives you much more front passenger room. With the rear facing my wife, who is all of 5'2", was cramped in the front seat. Front facing allows reasonable front passenger room and a happy kid!

The seats spend most of the time in the wife's Optima and, funny I have to say it after the preceding post, my TBSS. I've put both in the Camaro at one time or the other and both are fine. Britax is probably the best seat out there. I did a lot of research but there are others that are certainly as good. Like I said, we did just a Graco small seat for the first few months rear facing, then once we knew we'd have a seat for a while, we went with the Britax.

And most importantly, congrats. It's going to be awesome and the spit up will clean off very easily! lol
Old 04-11-2013, 09:49 PM   #14
Bcarr

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS 45th Convertible
I never had a car seat in the Camaro but just wanted to say CONGRATULATIONS! Your life will change dramatically but all for the better!
Bcarr is offline   Reply With Quote