Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 11-29-2009, 03:58 PM   #1
The Leaf

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
TPMS problem

sup guys, I just got my winter rims and tires I went from the factory 245-45R20s in the fronts and 275-40R20s in the rears to Pirello scorpion ice and snows 245-45R20s all around. I went to relearn the TMPS and it's not picking up the rear tires, and I'm pissed because the guy from tirerack talked me out of getting the 275-40R20s in the rear. Could it be that it's not picking up the sensor because its a smaller tire?? Im mean I started with the driver side front, then the passenger side front and it picked them up no problem, when I get to the rear passenger it just wont take. Anybody got any ideas???
The Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 04:03 PM   #2
eynigush
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SSRS Rally Yellow
I've got friends back east that swapped their summer set with a winter set. Their both own handeld tuners so they recalibrated when they swapped them out. I'll give them a call ask if they had issues before recalibrating.
-Eddie
eynigush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 04:06 PM   #3
skuttduck

Drives: 2010 RJT 2LT Camaro
Send a message via ICQ to skuttduck Send a message via AIM to skuttduck Send a message via Yahoo to skuttduck
I'm not sure if this helps you or not, but I relearned mine, and noticed that the TPMS was about 4 pounds off.

What helped me most was that when you start the relearn process, the turn signal indicator of the tire it is expecting to be learned will be illuminated.

When I did mine, I let out some pressure and then pumped the tires up until it honked and went to the next set of tires. The first time when I tried to let air out, it skipped a tire. Not sure why.

By the way it was the rear passenger tire.
Once I noticed the turn signals that helped out a lot.
skuttduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 04:06 PM   #4
The Leaf

thanx eddie
Old 11-29-2009, 04:13 PM   #5
eynigush
SoCal C5 Family Member

Alright Leaf...my buddy said that he had no issues swapping the tires. He recalibrated because he wanted to keep the his mpg marker as accurate as possible. It also keeps the speedometer accurate if you recalibrate. He thinks your issue is with installation not with the sensor. Hope this helps.

--Eddie
Old 11-29-2009, 04:18 PM   #6
The Leaf

It's dark out already over here, but I'm gonna go out and try it again, cuz this is driving me nuts, I'm gonna look for the turn signal indicator this time, maybe it skipped the tire or somethin, thanx for the help boys, I'll let ya's know how I made out.
Old 11-29-2009, 04:19 PM   #7
eynigush
SoCal C5 Family Member

I would lend a hand but I'm out here in San Diego. Good luck my friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Leaf View Post
It's dark out already over here, but I'm gonna go out and try it again, cuz this is driving me nuts, I'm gonna look for the turn signal indicator this time, maybe it skipped the tire or somethin, thanx for the help boys, I'll let ya's know how I made out.
Old 11-29-2009, 04:28 PM   #8
97one

Drives: 2016 & 1967 Camaro, 2015 Impala, +1
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Leaf View Post
sup guys, I just got my winter rims and tires I went from the factory 245-45R20s in the fronts and 275-40R20s in the rears to Pirello scorpion ice and snows 245-45R20s all around. I went to relearn the TMPS and it's not picking up the rear tires, and I'm pissed because the guy from tirerack talked me out of getting the 275-40R20s in the rear. Could it be that it's not picking up the sensor because its a smaller tire?? Im mean I started with the driver side front, then the passenger side front and it picked them up no problem, when I get to the rear passenger it just wont take. Anybody got any ideas???
It would NOT be because of the samller tire size !!
BTW....He was right selling you the narrow rear tires (for snow)...

I would just go to page 9-60 and follow the 11 steps again Exactly as they say.
ALSO..... The pres.will not appear on the screen until you drive the car.

97one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 04:52 PM   #9
The Leaf

I just got figured it out fellas, the owners manual said to do it in this order, driver front, passenger front, passenger rear, the driver rear last. Everytime I got to the passenger rear it woundnt take....this time i said the hell with it, I flew over to the driver rear started bleeding and it took, then went back the passenger rear and she finally beeped twice =) I also tried to look for a turn signal indicator while it said "learning in progress" and it never showed one. I'm glad it worked out, but why would the owners manual tell me the wrong way to do it?? Thanks for all your help guys, greatly appreciated.