Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-17-2011, 11:15 AM   #155
Hesh

Drives: 2010 IOM Camaro Vin 34334
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
Will they port the heads as well, or would I have to do that myself?

I read the sticky, but it's so looooong. lol

So the roller lifters obviously don't rotate like flat ones. I'm assuming it wouldn't be a problem? I mean, obviously not if they are making them, but just curious.

If you go with the Mast stage 3 they come with a set of their heads. So there would be no need to port your heads.
Hesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 12:08 PM   #156
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesh View Post
If you go with the Mast stage 3 they come with a set of their heads. So there would be no need to port your heads.
I mean are their heads ported, or equivalent?
Old 03-17-2011, 03:51 PM   #157
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Heads are WAY too expensive for the minor gains... Just polish up your stockers and go with that... The only reason I did it was I got a smoking deal...
Old 03-17-2011, 04:38 PM   #158
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Heads are WAY too expensive for the minor gains... Just polish up your stockers and go with that... The only reason I did it was I got a smoking deal...
I figured that. I just wondered if they'd do it at a small cost.
Old 03-17-2011, 05:53 PM   #159
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
The main reason I'm getting the heads ported on mine is because they have to come off the car to do other work this week anyway. So, I only had to pay for the porting service. There is no additional labor charge. It will likely add about 30 rwhp.
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 06:21 PM   #160
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Emma View Post
The main reason I'm getting the heads ported on mine is because they have to come off the car to do other work this week anyway. So, I only had to pay for the porting service. There is no additional labor charge. It will likely add about 30 rwhp.
That's what I was kinda meaning. If I'd be swapping heads, it would make sense to do them at that time. But my headers may negate any extra eas of flow.
Old 03-17-2011, 06:31 PM   #161
aet08

Drives: c
i did LS3 conversion
aet08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 07:21 PM   #162
FASST 1

Drives: Black 1SS
PQ, I have about the same situation as you and this was what I decided. I decided that I wanted to get rid of the AMF lifters because of the risk of a failure, therefore the heads had to come off. I wanted to get the most out of a blower cam so I decided to do the LS3 conversion. I was unsure about getting a TC. I spoke with New Era. They have a blower cam that "reportedly" will get you 65rwhp on the stock TC and like stock drivability. 65rwhp is pretty good for a blower cam even those that require a higher stall TC. I was going to port my heads since they were off, but the more I read the gain was only 30 hp, if lucky. Additionlly, some have reported a LOSS when porting the heads. I finally decided for about the same money I could get a TC. A higher stall TC has reportedly decreased 1/4 mile times by 0.5 seconds. That is a hell of a lot more than you will get with ported heads and maybe even the cam. Even with a higher stall TC I went with the New Era cam. This is an option if you want to do the TC later.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:25 PM   #163
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post

Ted told me the same exact thing. When we did the forged build we didn't have a budget and bought the best parts available but when it came to the heads the machinist had a CNC program that might have gained 15-20 for $800. We opted to stick with the stock heads. PQ, for your build the stockers will be good to go.
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 12:53 AM   #164
Hesh

Drives: 2010 IOM Camaro Vin 34334
Quote:
I mean are their heads ported, or equivalent?
They are 12 degree cnc'ed heads. Ive found the whole package for around $3500. Heads are expensive and everyone is right, its hard to justify the cost for about 25-30hp gains for heads. The Mast Stage 3 is said to get 125hp for head and cam package. The whole package also comes with the phase restrictor, ls-7 kit to replace the lifters, and pushrods. So you get the AFM delete, and keep the VVT.
Hesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 01:12 AM   #165
Darth_Emma

Quote:
That's what I was kinda meaning. If I'd be swapping heads, it would make sense to do them at that time. But my headers may negate any extra eas of flow.
We're going to see what the boost is when my car is on the dyno. Not only might the ported heads reduce boost, but the cam can contribute to that as well. If my boost drops, then we'll drop the pulley size to 3.4" from the 3.6" pulley I currently have.

We have very similar builds, Randy. What my car does should be similar to yours. Watch my build thread over the next two weeks to see.
Old 03-18-2011, 01:59 AM   #166
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FASST 1 View Post
PQ, I have about the same situation as you and this was what I decided. I decided that I wanted to get rid of the AMF lifters because of the risk of a failure, therefore the heads had to come off. I wanted to get the most out of a blower cam so I decided to do the LS3 conversion. I was unsure about getting a TC. I spoke with New Era. They have a blower cam that "reportedly" will get you 65rwhp on the stock TC and like stock drivability. 65rwhp is pretty good for a blower cam even those that require a higher stall TC. I was going to port my heads since they were off, but the more I read the gain was only 30 hp, if lucky. Additionlly, some have reported a LOSS when porting the heads. I finally decided for about the same money I could get a TC. A higher stall TC has reportedly decreased 1/4 mile times by 0.5 seconds. That is a hell of a lot more than you will get with ported heads and maybe even the cam. Even with a higher stall TC I went with the New Era cam. This is an option if you want to do the TC later.
This is actually what I'm thinking. I'll wait a bit more for more VVT info and experience then decide final. But I definitely want LS7 lifters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged SS View Post
Ted told me the same exact thing. When we did the forged build we didn't have a budget and bought the best parts available but when it came to the heads the machinist had a CNC program that might have gained 15-20 for $800. We opted to stick with the stock heads. PQ, for your build the stockers will be good to go.
I believe you're right. And anyway, my borla headers aren't conducive to gain with ported heads I don't think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesh View Post
They are 12 degree cnc'ed heads. Ive found the whole package for around $3500. Heads are expensive and everyone is right, its hard to justify the cost for about 25-30hp gains for heads. The Mast Stage 3 is said to get 125hp for head and cam package. The whole package also comes with the phase restrictor, ls-7 kit to replace the lifters, and pushrods. So you get the AFM delete, and keep the VVT.
Sound like I'm narrowing it down. It's gonna come down to simple VVT and modest gains, or LS3 and a little more agressive but choppy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Emma View Post
We're going to see what the boost is when my car is on the dyno. Not only might the ported heads reduce boost, but the cam can contribute to that as well. If my boost drops, then we'll drop the pulley size to 3.4" from the 3.6" pulley I currently have.

We have very similar builds, Randy. What my car does should be similar to yours. Watch my build thread over the next two weeks to see.
Are you dynoing the car with your 22s?

If so, I'll be looking forward to the base dyno result to compare to your previous one.
Old 03-18-2011, 12:28 PM   #167
zebra
just can't seem to leave

Drives: your mom wild!!
Quote:
...Are you dynoing the car with your 22s?

If so, I'll be looking forward to the base dyno result to compare to your previous one.
i thought she sold them wheels
Samson ('18 HD): compounded 408
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 03:18 PM   #168
Darth_Emma

I still have the 22s. I think they are planning to put those back on the car as the last thing they do. (After the tuning is done too).

I might ask them to do one last pull after the 22s go on as the very very last thing they do just to see how they affect hp.