Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-08-2014, 11:48 PM   #141
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyCamaro View Post
That is really cool. Except............................................ .......that darn LFX intake is BUTT UGLY! Someone needs to work on a fix for that. LOL
I just put the cover back on. I wouldn't go back to the llt manifold for anything.
Old 08-08-2014, 11:53 PM   #142
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason@JacFab View Post

I'm ASSUMING the lower intake portion to fit the LLT head intake ports WILL BOLT RIGHT ONTO the Camaro LFX intake manifold, and then hopefully the whole setup can bolt right onto the 10-11 LLT Camaro.

I've got one on order from the dealer to try on an LFX intake as soon as it shows up. Kinda cuts me out of the deal, but in the name of mad science, I will pursue it further.
Now that cats out of the bag so to speak lol...good stuff.

So this thing will basically act like the spacers many of us are using and should increase runner length, and then allow us to use the LFX manifold...but if I'm doing that, then the best choice is to go with Jason's "ported" LFX manifold which flows better.

Not sure if you guys check out the LFX section, but he's recently been doing testing on his LFX spacer and the ported manifold, and had great results. See the 3rd chart on this post here: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=332

The spacer gave nice gains down low, while the intake gave nice gains up top...in all 15 hp and 15 tq gained. Very nice!

I don't think you'd want to run this spacer by itself on the LLT, as it seems this will still transfer heat into the LLT's aluminum manifold which is part of the big benefit of using the other current spacers on the market.

Jason...do you mind posting what this cost, and if you know the thickness that would be great info as well.
Old 08-08-2014, 11:59 PM   #143
KMPrenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadG View Post
My son's name is Luke . . . looks like great minds may think alike . . .
?
Lol...well maybe but not quite. Its pronounced "Lee ahh" instead of like princess Leia from Star Wars

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyCamaro View Post
That is really cool. Except............................................ .......that darn LFX intake is BUTT UGLY! Someone needs to work on a fix for that. LOL
It is butt ugly, and I've given that much thought, especially after I took all the time to smooth, polish and paint my stock LLT intake, but I also have a painted up engine cover, so if needed I'd just throw that back on for shows and maybe take it off otherwise so as not to trap heat.

The only downside is, a painted cover will never show as well as an visible manifold that is custom done like mine unless I put more work into it. Maybe I'll cut some ports out and add some mesh...that could work.
Old 08-09-2014, 06:17 PM   #144
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
Now that cats out of the bag so to speak lol...good stuff.

So this thing will basically act like the spacers many of us are using and should increase runner length, and then allow us to use the LFX manifold...but if I'm doing that, then the best choice is to go with Jason's "ported" LFX manifold which flows better.

Not sure if you guys check out the LFX section, but he's recently been doing testing on his LFX spacer and the ported manifold, and had great results. See the 3rd chart on this post here: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=332

The spacer gave nice gains down low, while the intake gave nice gains up top...in all 15 hp and 15 tq gained. Very nice!

I don't think you'd want to run this spacer by itself on the LLT, as it seems this will still transfer heat into the LLT's aluminum manifold which is part of the big benefit of using the other current spacers on the market.
If I'm reading this right, you're implying running this GM part by itself with the LLT intake manifold? It wouldn't be possible. If you're running this spacer with the LFX intake, it's composite, so it wouldn't get that hot as compared to the LLT intake anyway. However you could use either the black isolator you already have underneath the whole setup, or you could use my spacer between the upper and lower intake pieces. It would take a bit of testing to determine which setup would be the best for the best/most useful power curve. Maybe both?

Jason...do you mind posting what this cost, and if you know the thickness that would be great info as well.
If this piece is the same thickness as the LFX piece, it's about 1.125" thick. Even with the lower intake manifold piece, the LFX vs the LLT intake manifold height looks pretty similar, within +- 1/4" maybe? Try not to think of this as a spacer that increases runner length, but more as an adapter. Basically adapting a better intake manifold to your engine, nothing else.

My cost on the part from the dealer was $280, but I've seen it as low as $265 new shipped ground to your door. GM List price is $367.98.

I can't remember how much my dealer charges me for the LFX upper intake manifold, but it's quite a bit cheaper than the list price of $354.99.

A quick search online shows me that the cheapest place to get both the LFX intake, and the Traverse LLT lower intake is Summit Racing, for $506.94 w/ free shipping.

Aside from that, you will still need:
-bolts
-GM oring gaskets that go into the bottom of the composite intake
-the PCV line that runs from the rear of the pass side valve cover to the center/front area of the intake (the one you cut for the catch can install)
-The LLT evap solenoid hardline might work, but you will have to contort it out of it's original shape. The LFX evap solenoid hardline is recommended and is a straight swap.
-the LFX TB oring gasket (but you can use your LLT TB, and pretty sure the TB bolts also)
-The LFX EVAP solenoid w/ bolt (pretty sure it comes with the bolt if you but it new)
-You will either need to buy the LFX MAP sensor (& bolt) just to plug the hole in the intake, or just plug the hole with a pipe plug and some sealant. If you use something non destructive (like the map sensor) it will make the manifold easier to sell (to the LFX crowd) if you decide to .

The LFX intake composite intake, w/ aluminum lower part is about 12lbs lighter than the LLT intake manifold.

I think that should answer most questions about what would be needed? Unfortunately I don't have part numbers and prices available for everything as I'd need to go to the dealer and pick stuff out on the diagrams on their computer as it's not all listed for purchase on most internet GM parts sites.

Vararam intake may not be a straight bolt on, a different silicone coupler MAY be required. Stock intake, and all other aftermarket cold air intakes should work without any issues.

Am I forgetting anything?

Once this part shows up and I 100% confirm it will bolt on and work, I will have a complete setup with everything mentioned above that you would need to try on a car...
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 07:18 PM   #145
Jason@JacFab

Pay dirt...

Old 08-13-2014, 07:46 PM   #146
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Cool.
Old 08-13-2014, 08:20 PM   #147
KeepItShut

Drives: 2011 CGM 2LT/RS
Nice! What size bolts will you be using?
KeepItShut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 09:09 PM   #148
Jason@JacFab

Haven't checked yet, rough guess, five 140mm long and one 130mm will most likely be perfect.
Old 08-14-2014, 12:09 AM   #149
strtsol1109

Drives: ZTS pearl in autoflex
Let me know if any butt dyno power gains!!
Full MBRP 3in exhaust, Vitesse TC, BBK LT, black iceolator, VMAX TB, vararam, LG coils, zl1 reps, zl1 front bumper, zl1 grille, zl1 rockers, CF Copo hood, CF trunk, gm blade wing, HAVOC diffuser, APR splitter, dipped SS calipers
strtsol1109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 09:21 AM   #150
KMPrenger

Ahh yes...my comment above about it not being a good idea to run this as a spacer on the LLT wasn't thought out. lol. Your right...its not even possible. I don't know what I was thinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason@JacFab View Post
Haven't checked yet, rough guess, five 140mm long and one 130mm will most likely be perfect.
As you said above, and per the testing you was doing a while back when you and I were considering doing this, it sounds like the overall height between the LLT intake, and LFX + GM adapter is very close to the same height. I believe the bolt lengths you quoted above are what I am running in my car with the RX spacer. I think stock is four 130s, one 120, and one 110 in the back. I bought bolts that were 10mm longer each.

So even with the rx spacer and the LFX intake setup, these lengths would probably worth. If the spacer is longer, you might want to bump up the lengths another 10mm
Old 08-14-2014, 09:38 AM   #151
Jason@JacFab

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
Ahh yes...my comment above about it not being a good idea to run this as a spacer on the LLT wasn't thought out. lol. Your right...its not even possible. I don't know what I was thinking.

As you said above, and per the testing you was doing a while back when you and I were considering doing this, it sounds like the overall height between the LLT intake, and LFX + GM adapter is very close to the same height. I believe the bolt lengths you quoted above are what I am running in my car with the RX spacer. I think stock is four 130s, one 120, and one 110 in the back. I bought bolts that were 10mm longer each.

So even with the rx spacer and the LFX intake setup, these lengths would probably worth. If the spacer is longer, you might want to bump up the lengths another 10mm
It I was going to run my spacer, it would take four 160s and one 150... If you were going to run the VMAX isolator also, I would bump it up to 170s and a 180.

It may be best off if you use the VMAX isolator under the bottom, and maybe if I made a 3/8-1/2" spacer for between the upper and lower intake. Using my 3/4" + the VMAX 3/8 (1 1/8") total may be too much of a runner length increase and not be that great for top end. Or just can the VMAX all together and use mine. It would be to be tested multiple ways and a crap load of dyno runs would have to be made to see anything conclusive.

I wouldn't over analyze the spacer thing until just the intake is tested by itself.

The nice thing is if I end up being able to successfully run the LLT heads on an LFX, I can still use this to run the LFX ported intake. Perhaps the best of both worlds.
Old 08-14-2014, 10:32 PM   #152
Ventmaster

Drives: 2017 1SS 6spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl View Post
Cool.
+1
O.K.- Now I'm really paying attention!
(1st time I just wanted to give Keith a hard time... )

Keep the good work Jason and please keep us posted!
Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 12:04 PM   #153
RubyCamaro
Jan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
Old 08-16-2014, 04:47 PM   #154
Glasstop2010RS

Drives: Corvette C6 500 HP
Plastic intake Manifold

Any up dates on LFX Manifold fitting to LLT Heads yet.......Thanks.